• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new ranger extended cab build

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well this fall i got 20 rangers and bronco 2's from an estate settlement and i picked a 1988 Ranger ext-cab out to build. it's getting everything out of my 1993 explorer, the 5.5 lift ,4.0 engine plus manual trans & transfer case, both front and rear ends. the only things i need to add is a set of 64'' chevy rear springs and beltech 6400 rear shackles , extended radius arms and drive lines. hopefully i can come up with the money for a DD Machine doubler as well. 1st pic is new ranger 2nd is my explorer i'm gutting for this build.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm watching.

Richard

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
back in the shop this weekend

well now that my fractured chest has healed from snow removal accident just after posting holidays and then slipping and falling on my backside fracturing my tail bone now that's healed time to dig out from our last fresh foot of snow and get started on my ranger since daily driver is holding it's own.

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
little update

well no progress, other than organizing from the couch. well i bought a new house so all progress stopped on rigs about 2 months before closing on house. well started fixing up house to get moved in and fell off a ladder and broke my right heel into 12 pieces. so now i'm stuck on my butt for next 3 months per Doc's orders. now for the good part just after closing on the house but before breaking my heel i scored good. i got 2 79 bronco 4x4 rolling chassis complete for under 500.00 plus i helped a local club member/friend out with his truck and he gave me matching set of f250 axles front dana 44 hp with 1/2 wall tubing and a rear dana 60. now's the question do i go full width axles or narrow to fit my truck?

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a little photo shopping

well i did a little photo shopping on direction i'm headed on my ranger once i'm healed up.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
make tube fenders and integrated sliders for body protection.

the jungle gym thing is not for me.

your kinda stuck with exo on the majority of the cab with small trucks, but with a small amount of thought it can be done really well.

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah the idea is to keep from pulverizing the body on some of our trails that are getting over grown. probably put my 38" TSL's on it with lots of drop and little up to keep center of gravity down. plus have a platform for a roof top tent i'm drawing up

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
if i did not go to full width axles i likely would have went to a full cab cage years ago.

bashing the body panels on these is not a big issue with heavy offset wheels on stock axles and large tires or full width axles. of course the bed when full length can get its ass kicked but your intention of decreasing wb will minimize that as well. front fenders are easy and cheap to replace...hoods are all over hell too. with your parts collection trucks not much of an issue for your in any case.

protection of the b pillars is something to be concerned with the most in my experience. and my tube doors have worked to that extent as intended.

i have mocked up some tube fender frames for the front wheels...actually made a set and sold them to a jeep owner... but i do plan to make another set for the front fenders as the rears work so well. simple straight cut design that will allow me to cover my tires due to the constant harrasement by the pa and ga police..... but simply painting the truck and slipping some 1/4 flaps has kept the cops off my ass. i really need sliders as well due to getting lucky so far. i just about destroyed my new doors last winter on a recovery operation after slipping off the trail and into the ravine......causing a triple recovery operation:D

lots of rigs to look at for inspiration.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
this link should take you to some pics of the variations of mine over the years...

once i upgrade the front suspension and iron work i will add to that thread again. but the bed as is takes an ass whooping from rocks and trees and goes back for more so far.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162840

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my other goal is to keep this truck streetable. we've got some trails here that Atvs and Utvs have torn up real bad. 2 years ago i had to crawl out my window to get out of truck.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
streetable? subjective i guess. street legal is what i think your meaning.

your picture above is typical of my favorite places to go and things to do. usually only climb out of my window when on the side or roof....or the rear bumper and roof propping it in an undercut...

your truck as pictured...would be less "streetable" because it is so narrow.

fat tube fenders to widen it as far as track width to be "street legal" would also make it more streetable because it is wider...

i drive my truck all over.....

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
problem i had was the fenders got push in an packed full of dirt and mud.in front of the doors. they wouldn't open at all took 2 hrs at home and car wash to get them to open. Big Red(explorer) in currant form load rides great at 65mph.and a DD'D it last year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals