• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new to me Ranger - idle problems

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Guess I could post there too, I didn't notice this forum section the first time...

I just brought home the inherited '89 Ranger. its a 2.3L dual plug head, with the A4LD tranny.

Had some work to do before I drove it 1000+ miles home. Replaced the spark plugs, wires. Changed the oil/ filter. Changed the differential fluid. Purred like a kitten...

About 1/4 the way home, it started to idle real bad. Down to about 600 rpm, and sounds like its missing a cylinder, maybe. chug - chug - chug - chug - chug - chug.... Seems to run fine off idle, and at cruising speed (75 mph). And got around 20 mpg.

Don't know if its related, but it also started to shift in to D, and R real hard. The whole truck twists, and with the brakes held on, it will still chirp the tires going into D.

Any quick easy things I can try to look for here?

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a vacuum line fell off. Check your vacuum lines to make sure they are on and tight.
Did you replace the PCV valve? That is sometimes a hidden vac leak.
As far as I can tell the vacuum lines look good. But I don't know much about them. A friend has a vacuum gauge, but is still looking for it.

I pulled all the plugs out tonight, and they all look pretty much new, with only 1000 miles on them.

The compression is 90-90-90-130 on cylinders 1-4, respectively. thats kinda odd, I thought.

The PCV valve isn't new, but it looks good. Not all full of gunk, and fairly dry, and jiggles like its supposed to.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As far as I can tell the vacuum lines look good. But I don't know much about them. A friend has a vacuum gauge, but is still looking for it.

I pulled all the plugs out tonight, and they all look pretty much new, with only 1000 miles on them.

The compression is 90-90-90-130 on cylinders 1-4, respectively. thats kinda odd, I thought.

The PCV valve isn't new, but it looks good. Not all full of gunk, and fairly dry, and jiggles like its supposed to.
130 seems fine but 90 indicates your engine is worn out.

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
130 seems fine but 90 indicates your engine is worn out.
That would be a little odd too. It has 122K on it now, and my brother had a used engine put in it recently, with somewhere around 50K on it.

But I want to do that compression test again; I just did a quick and dirty test, no engine warmup, or anything...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals