• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New (to me) Ranger with a Problem

Hack2ey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I just bought a 1990 Ranger 2wd with a 2.3L four cylinder and a manual transmission. This truck has about 100K miles on it, and I don't know whether it's ever been tuned up or had any service to fuel injection or ignition components (like new plugs and wires or a cleaning of injectors or Idle Air Valve).

Anyway, the problem with it is that when accelerating through the gears it runs fine and pulls hard from idle up to about 2400 rpm, but between 2400 rpm and 3000 rpm it hesitates and does not pull cleanly. It feels as though it is leaning out in this rpm range. Fully opening the throttle helps it get through the hesitating range and at about 3000 rpm there is a noticeable surge in power and it pulls hard and clean again until I upshift.

Any ideas what could cause this?

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My first thought is fuel filter, but at 100K miles, it's time for the all-around tune-up anyway. I bet you've got a shot at taking care of this with just some routine maintenance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals