• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new to site problems with 97 2.3l timing belt replacement

ruttinandstruttin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello All,
I have recently begun the fun job of replacing the timing belt on my 97 2.3 liter 2wd manual tranny. My belt snapped while I was driving down the road. I saw it was getting wore but I didnt know at the time it was going to snap... I have removed all the necessaries and am in the core.. I have read the hayes manual and could recite it word for word... My problem is I cannot get the truck to start... I have spoke with many individuals on this problem all but one knows a little bit about the engine. I am flooded because I have fuel on the dip stick.. I was told to take the fuel relay sensor and the fuel pump fuze out of the distributor box and put oil in the exhaust plug holes.. I tried this tonight the engine tried to start first time but did not actually stay running. I put the relay and fuze back in and tried to crank it and it tried to start but unfortunately did not.... My question is should I drain the oil now and replace it so the fuel thats mixed will be out of the engine and then repeat the process? The vibration damper pulley sensor is good and not broke.. I took the top of the engine off to look and make sure I did not bend the valves and they are fine... Pretty much everything the I have been told I have checked.. I am almost positive I am not 180 out but not 100 percent... I am close to throwing in the towel so any suggestions would help.... I dont want to because this is a southern ranger and I do not want to scrap it the truck is in damn good shape for the year... Thank you for your time......

HAPPY+RANGER+GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 LIMA
Transmission
Manual
keep after it

Don't give up yet.

I would get the contaminated oil out of the crankcase - Yes.

Are you sure the crankshaft position sensor is aligned ok and operable?

Are you not getting a good spark to the cylinders? You need to figure out what's missing from getting a start (spark, fuel, have compression).

Are you confident all the marks are lined up with the new timing belt installation?

ruttinandstruttin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am sure the sensor is in good working order.. Checked the compression on the #1 on exhaust side good compression. but spoke with a friend mechanic and he said I would have good compression but it that the fuel was wetting the cylinders so it would not actually make compession until I put oil down the spark plug holes to seal better and create compression. the order I did it in was to first put the oil down the holes then took the relay out and fuse then I turn the key the truck sounded like it tried to roll over but after that first time it just cranked. I turned the key 5 times then put the relay back in and tried to start it all it did was crank. So I repeated the process and it tried to start but did not... I am wondering if like u said drain the oil replace it with fresh, should I put more oil in the spark plug holes and try that process again? thanks for your input.. I will just about try anything now......

ruttinandstruttin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes marks are lined up.. cam pulley at top, oil pulley right and the dot on the crankshaft with the notch in the inner timing so the keyway ia at 12 o'clock

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals