• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
My black Friday buy finally showed up. Definitely did not "need" this since at least 3-4 people I know have tubing benders but it would be awful convenient to have my own. I will be building a roll cage for my stubby Explorer and other stuff for it too. Easier to build at my house rather than haul materials & vehicles to my friends places and hog up their shop space indefinitely.

Figured I'd give Swag a try, everything I've got from them in the past has been top notch. I can use the air/hydraulic cylinder on my cherry picker for this. I looked at a few other brands but they all needed an adapter to use a cherry picker cylinder, otherwise you are stuck with bending by hand or spending quite a bit of money on a hydraulic ram and pump.

View attachment 103248
Links please and vids when in use....
This would be e great addition to my work shop.
Merry Christmas indeed.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Son in law showed up the other day with my Christmas present...
20231223_155634.jpg

It's the 30 gal unit and bought the reel too. Gotta love that kid.
I've been using a pancake compressor, so this is a very welcome addition.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
1-1/8 impact socket for the front pinion nut, and 2 extra 12mm 12 point sockets for the rear flange bolts.
(I forgot I already had extras)

there's a definite advantage to being old, you forget what you've got and use that as an excuse to BUY MORE TOOLS :dntknw:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It might be in here, I kinda doubt it but last spring when I did my head swap I snagged a Bauer 3/4 brushless impact. Even with the little cheap batteries it worked great for buzzing intake bolts and headbolts apart. Greatly enhanced disassembly and worked good for snugging things going back together before torquing. Inevitably I tried it on lugnuts, it had to hammer a bit but it did get them off my Ranger and it was awesome taking the spindle apart too. So I go the JY looking for a spare spindle or three... it barely could get one wheel off one truck and couldn't touch the other side. Truck did look like it did time submerged, the brake rotors were full of mud.

Anyway I mentioned to dad it would be nice to get the 1/2" version to have a little more umph. Most of my impact sockets are 1/2" as well (I mainly use a 110v 1/2" impact)

So my parents got me one for Christmas.

So knowing a probable weakness of my 3/8" was the small battery I went up today and snagged the big 5ah battery.

And they had a sale going where if you buy that battery you get a tool for free, so I snagged a sawzall. Should be a little handier than my big metal housing sawzall (I have some exhaust work coming up I have in mind)

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It might be in here, I kinda doubt it but last spring when I did my head swap I snagged a Bauer 3/4 brushless impact. Even with the little cheap batteries it worked great for buzzing intake bolts and headbolts apart.
3/4” drive is kind of overkill for automotive intake and head bolts. I assume you’re working on bigger diesels in trains, ships, and industrial equipment.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3/4” drive is kind of overkill for automotive intake and head bolts. I assume you’re working on bigger diesels in trains, ships, and industrial equipment.
3/8"...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a local hardware store has a standard coupon on every receipt good for $5 off next purchase within 3-10 days.
I've been going back every week to buy 1 impact socket for the discount and 1 lesser socket at the normal price.
yesterday it was a 1/2 drive 1-1/4" deep impact.
I have everything SAE & metric below 1-1/16,,27mm and am completing the sets to 1-1/2 & 38mm.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
It might be in here, I kinda doubt it but last spring when I did my head swap I snagged a Bauer 3/4 brushless impact. Even with the little cheap batteries it worked great for buzzing intake bolts and headbolts apart. Greatly enhanced disassembly and worked good for snugging things going back together before torquing. Inevitably I tried it on lugnuts, it had to hammer a bit but it did get them off my Ranger and it was awesome taking the spindle apart too. So I go the JY looking for a spare spindle or three... it barely could get one wheel off one truck and couldn't touch the other side. Truck did look like it did time submerged, the brake rotors were full of mud.

Anyway I mentioned to dad it would be nice to get the 1/2" version to have a little more umph. Most of my impact sockets are 1/2" as well (I mainly use a 110v 1/2" impact)

So my parents got me one for Christmas.

So knowing a probable weakness of my 3/8" was the small battery I went up today and snagged the big 5ah battery.

And they had a sale going where if you buy that battery you get a tool for free, so I snagged a sawzall. Should be a little handier than my big metal housing sawzall (I have some exhaust work coming up I have in mind)

Little known fact, and I’ve had people argue with me, but when using the impact wrenches, especially at their limits, a fresh battery will drive harder than a partly used battery. Theoretically, lithium ion batteries are supposed to provide full power until they’re down to about 20%. In reality, they start dropping off slowly after 5%, and really nose dive when they’re 2/3 used up.

I have a Dewalt 20 V 3/8 drive, and I always keep two batteries. One in the gun and one charging. I do three-quarter inch lug nuts all day long with that thing, as long as they’re not over torqued. I also have a 3/8 Walmart hyper tough 18 V impact, but I’ve never tried it on Lug nuts.

Great score for Christmas, you must have great folks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Little known fact, and I’ve had people argue with me, but when using the impact wrenches, especially at their limits, a fresh battery will drive harder than a partly used battery. Theoretically, lithium ion batteries are supposed to provide full power until they’re down to about 20%. In reality, they start dropping off slowly after 5%, and really nose dive when they’re 2/3 used up.

I have a Dewalt 20 V 3/8 drive, and I always keep two batteries. One in the gun and one charging. I do three-quarter inch lug nuts all day long with that thing, as long as they’re not over torqued. I also have a 3/8 Walmart hyper tough 18 V impact, but I’ve never tried it on Lug nuts.

Great score for Christmas, you must have great folks!
I had a second battery with, didn't even try swapping it. I fought the one side tooth and nail to get it apart, when the other side started off that way I just ejected to try to find a better donor. The poor thing was ROUGH and I am pretty sure it had been flooded.

Ended up finding a used one on Ebay.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m fairly certain the battery manufacturers have control boards in the batteries to help control the output of the battery. Reduce output when power is low or when it’s cold ect.

Supposed to help increase battery life.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I picked up this cheap 3/8 socket set to be part of my dedicated truck tool kit. I've typically loaded up socket sets and 3/8 drive accessories from my big box when traveling or doing repairs on the kids cars. They do have a lifetime warranty... I guess we will see how that goes if I break something. I'll use them around here to ensure the ratchet will hold up before I need to count on it for an emergency repair.

$56 on sale...

20240105_170939.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Forgot this set of adapters. I couldn't find my 3/8 to half inch adapter. I needed that because I couldn't find my 9/16 short 3/8 socket... see how I got new tools fir the truck?

20240105_202950.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I needed that because I couldn't find my 9/16 short 3/8 socket... see how I got new tools fir the truck?
And what would happen if you said that you can't find your truck?

Think you could get away with it, or would Mrs. Gump be on to you?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Hmmmm... you could be on to something.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just bought a cheap (25 bucks) 18" Olympia (Crescent style) adjustable wrench with a 1-1/2" max jaw opening off Amazon.

I've got plumbing to do and even though I have combination wrenches from 1/8" through 2" and metrics as well, there just never seems to be one the correct size for danged plumbing fixtures. Yes, and my vintage 8" Crescent wrench will not open wide enough either.
adjustable_wrench.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals