• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Kind of like a side wall slashing...
And just when we were gaining some traction.

Not to be biased, but to recap, the doctor's name was Pirelli.

Nothing funny about that . . . unless you have a well rounded sense of humor.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I’m “tired” of that humor so let me change the subject.

I had a 30% Harbor Freight coupon for items $19.99 or less, so I broke down and bought a 1/4” drive inch-pounds torque wrench to do the pinion seal on the Missing Linc. I was just going to just measure the spins as I took it off, and put it back on the same number of spins, but for $14, and what, 15 minutes more time, I figured I’d try to do it right.

I’m guessing it will be the one and only time I ever use it, but I’ve got other tools like that.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I didn’t want to break up the party, but it looked like it was about the slide into the gutter…

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think I mentioned it when I got it but I got one of the Bauer cordless rotary tools with the flex shaft, I used that thing for a couple hours between last night and today (drilling a 3/16" hole in a file with a diamond bit) and that thing is nice, variable speed with separate on/off switch and portable, the flex shaft is more flexible than the Dremel variants and it has torque! I was going slow so I could keep some oil in the hole and I could push on the thing without the motor stalling out, it's like the Dremel I've always wanted a Dremel to be...

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I think I mentioned it when I got it but I got one of the Bauer cordless rotary tools with the flex shaft, I used that thing for a couple hours between last night and today (drilling a 3/16" hole in a file with a diamond bit) and that thing is nice, variable speed with separate on/off switch and portable, the flex shaft is more flexible than the Dremel variants and it has torque! I was going slow so I could keep some oil in the hole and I could push on the thing without the motor stalling out, it's like the Dremel I've always wanted a Dremel to be...
That’s inspiration I needed!

On both my 87 and 88 Town Cars, after 37 & 36 years, the window channel seals are so stiff and tight, that the windows seize in the track, and either bust the nylon gear in the window motor, or just keep popping the circuit breaker with the window down. I have been trying to figure out a way to scrape or rout out the channel seals without taking the whole door apart. I actually have one of those flex shafts. On the schedule for next week!

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
From The Harbor Freight,
A line wrench style O² sensor removal adapter because sometimes the special deep socket O² removal tool doesn't fit

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My old 4cfm husky compressor took a crap last year and I decided I was going to get a pancake job for portable work and a 5hp twin piston job for the shop. Instead of having one do a crappy job for both.

Couple hours ago the wife found a 5hp IR compressor in good shape for $300. We hopped right in the truck and went to pick it up, guy and his neighbor even loaded it for me.

Even if it needed a new motor or a new pump that was still a reasonable price.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My old 4cfm husky compressor took a crap last year and I decided I was going to get a pancake job for portable work and a 5hp twin piston job for the shop. Instead of having one do a crappy job for both.

Couple hours ago the wife found a 5hp IR compressor in good shape for $300. We hopped right in the truck and went to pick it up, guy and his neighbor even loaded it for me.

Even if it needed a new motor or a new pump that was still a reasonable price.
I bought a harbor freight spray gun yesterday with a coupon. Today I took it out of the box and went to clean it, and discovered it looks like it’s been used. :annoyed:

It was full of what looks like lacquer or varnish. I soaked it for a while and was able to get it sort and cleaned out. Hopefully it works but if not I’m only out $10 I guess.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Getting it out of my truck this morning it fell over and landed on the flywheel. Flywheel exploded, and is apparently super uncommon style.
About par for the course around here.

May know where to steal one from, but doubt I’ll get lucky.

About par for the course around here.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I bought a harbor freight spray gun yesterday with a coupon. Today I took it out of the box and went to clean it, and discovered it looks like it’s been used. :annoyed:

It was full of what looks like lacquer or varnish. I soaked it for a while and was able to get it sort and cleaned out. Hopefully it works but if not I’m only out $10 I guess.
One of the purple ones? The gun itself comes from the factory with a bunch of gross dried on yellow stuff just for fun, it's just a feature...

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
One of the purple ones? The gun itself comes from the factory with a bunch of gross dried on yellow stuff just for fun, it's just a feature...
Yes, that's the one. Maybe that's what it was? It sure looked like dried polyurethane varnish to me. I've always been taught that was brush-on so I've never sprayed poly but maybe? It was also missing some pieces so I just assumed it was a return.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yes, that's the one. Maybe that's what it was? It sure looked like dried polyurethane varnish to me. I've always been taught that was brush-on so I've never sprayed poly but maybe? It was also missing some pieces so I just assumed it was a return.
Unfortunately, there is also a good chance that someone opened it at the store, took the pieces they wanted and left.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I got me a new chainsaw for light work and limbing. There are times when a Stihl 311 with a 20" bar is just too much saw or even the Poulon Pro with the 18" bar. I would have liked to have gotten a saw with a 12" bar but at $129 for the 20V 8 amp hour battery and charger and the saw being free, I couldn't pass it up. I did check reviews on the saw and for what it is, the reviews have been very good, including long term reviews.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I got me a new chainsaw for light work and limbing. There are times when a Stihl 311 with a 20" bar is just too much saw or even the Poulon Pro with the 18" bar. I would have liked to have gotten a saw with a 12" bar but at $129 for the 20V 8 amp hour battery and charger and the saw being free, I couldn't pass it up. I did check reviews on the saw and for what it is, the reviews have been very good, including long term reviews.

I live on a half acre, and I drag the extension cord around with the lawnmower, the harbor freight chainsaw, and a harbor freight 6 foot chainsaw. It all works just fine.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

I have both the Milwaukee 6” bar pruning chainsaw and the 16” chainsaw. They’re great for around the yard stuff. I wouldn’t use it to cut down a bunch of trees. Let’s face it, I only have 2 acres, how many trees am I really cutting down? These battery powered saws are the perfect thing for a few large branches a year, a few smaller trees, etc.

I plan on bringing the 16” chainsaw with me on the Vagabond trip… you never know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals