• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New tools you've bought recently?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like my Bauer stuff, both corded and cordless.

I have never been a big fan of their ratchets. The ones you can play with feel cheap, the fancy Icon ones they have all sealed up... kinda like buying a car without a test drive if I can't go all good bad and ugly checking out how well they click.

That said most of my stuff is Stanley from when walmart sold Stanley and I really can't complain.

Most of my impact stuff is Pittsburg which is ok aside from their infuriating habit of skipping sizes. Their pullers and stuff are nice options to have too.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Recent pawn shop adventures have added all of the red & black handle Pittsburgh Pro ratchets and Icon 1/2" short handle, long handle 3/8" flex, and stubby 3/8". The most I paid for any of those was about $10, most were a buck or two. So it's not even the cost that has me bitter - I just think they kinda suck in general - the Pittsburgh Pro ones would be stupid great if not for the backdrag issue, VERY annoying with a fine tooth ratchet. All the Icons are just big, clunky, not very refined - they remind me of Mac branded Stanley junk. The direction selector levers stick out too and I'm constantly reversing direction if I bump them on something.

I'd be real pissed if I had spent full price to find all that out.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I guess I'll call this a tool. A tool to get me off the trail in case my T case motor takes a crap.

1712440707112.png

I was looking online and found an old ebay auction that this Shiftster didn't sell. So I messaged the seller and he said he still had it and would sell it to me for $100. Before I could reply he said he now had someone else interested and put it back on auction... for a buy it now of $295!!!

So I reported him to ebay... within and hour it was resisted at $125 starting bid. Just like his original auction. Not a single other bidder... mine for $125 and free shipping. I'll take it and glad to have it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Wife wants to repaint the kitchen cabinets but since they're just flat white plywood she got the idea from pinterest or tictoc or whatnot the request was made to add some trim to the face, instead of running a long air hose from the garage or shop I took advantage of the Bauer combo deal at HFT, got a $100 brad nailer with $60 battery and $30 charger for $89... been wanting a second charger and another battery never hurts... then came the cutting of the tiny trim which required remaking 3 pieces and switching from the miter saw to the benchtop bandsaw...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
then came the cutting of the tiny trim which required remaking 3 pieces and switching from the miter saw to the benchtop bandsaw...
You couldn't find the wood stretcher?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Couldn't stretch the 8" piece the 1" that split out :). Conveniently the pieces I screwed up were only 8" and 9" long not the 29" long pieces...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Picked up some welding clamps at Princess Auto. (Canadian Harbor Freight). Big ones $15 each, small ones $13 each. I think I'll go back for more big ones.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I need a couple of those...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Can never have enough clamps, I’m gettin a pretty wide variety because sometimes that’s what it takes

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I inherited a couple air powered ratchets and impacts, but they need some restoration, and I don't have a compressor big enough to make using them worthwhile.

So when I saw a cheap electric ratchet was on sale at my local Canadian tire, I picked it up mostly out of curiosity, and the fact it was 60$ off the original price of 129.99. I did have to buy a sort of proprietary battery for the brand, luckily it was on sale too with a charger, that's how they get ya'.

1712865782009.png

Needless to say, what a fucken revolution it's been. Obviously this thing doesn't quite fit everywhere, and for the most part it doesn't have a ton of torque, but its length actually gives it really solid leverage when used as a normal wrench.

But when you're undoing an overhead bolt, or just going through the motions of unbolting the interior, this thing saves so much time and effort that it actually makes you want to be in the garage working on stuff more often. Not to mention, when you're at a junkyard with only so many hours to get parts out, being able to zip off bolts you don't care about means more parts for less time. Love it.

Hell I even used it to assemble Ikea furniture, great buy IMO.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have the Milwaukee one in 3/8, can't say enough good about it. Much quieter then my air ratchet, air ratchet has a lot more power though.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have the Milwaukee one in 3/8, can't say enough good about it. Much quieter then my air ratchet, air ratchet has a lot more power though.
This one is 3/8 but really doesn't have a lot of torque, the box said it maxes out at 48lb/ft but honestly I think it's lower, especially on a lower battery. It does have an impact button that helps from some stuck in bolts, but otherwise you just gotta use a bit of muscle and then you can do the rest with electricity.

Can't recommend these things enough.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I broke my nearly 30 year old MAC Tools face shield last year doing my rear springs. I stepped on it and broke the head gear. I've got some grinding ahead of me this year so I picked up a new one. Jackson Saftey... pretty nice... really good head gear.

20240411_160507.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Working with all of this aluminum is great, using just woodworking tools. But there are times I need to use the angle grinder with a grinder disc, or the other angle grinder with a cut off wheel. I thought it was a nightmare, because they would just stay clogged and overheat..

Harbor freight had a special on one of the 4 1/2 inch carbide tipped saw blades that fits on an angle grinder. Check out this nightmare:

IMG_1657.jpeg

I love the old science-fiction movies, and all kinds of adventures and thrillers and spy movies, but I never liked the chop them up horror movies.

And now I can make my own!

I tried this on a couple of the pieces of aluminum, and the results were amazing. Not straight, not quality, not what I wanted, but absolutely amazing that I still have 10 fingers, two arms, and both of my ears.

I don’t know what I was thinking with my bad eyesight and shaky hands, but now I have enough adrenaline to finish 10 more projects. Be careful what you wish for!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals