• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Toy, an old CJ!

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Noticed it on my way to work yesterday, stopped by today and after testing her out I made the deal. Luckily it was only a mile or so from my house so I wasn't to worried about driving her home illegally.

Definately needs work here and there but she runs really strong. God those old CJ's sure have short axles, thinking fullwidths is first on the do list.

jhammel85

That looks good! How much (if you don't mind?). I've always loved those old CJ's.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nice cj5. me and my dad built a 74 cj5. its got full size axels. a total of about 8 inches of lift. 35x12.5 crushers on it. the most eye catching metalic blue with a yellow rollbar. home made bead locks. lockers. 4 speed. 3 stick trans. in first gear low range you can walk faster than it at 3000 rpms. its built for the trails. ill post a picture later

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad is hopefully going to go and pick one up tonight. It has been sitting outside for awhile, and I don't know if it is a 3 or a 5 but it is old, little and stock... and cheap. He just knows it as a "Jeep", and when I looked at it (was out to fix his auger on a grain bin) the poor thing was buried over the fenders in snow.

Going to use it as a little run around rig on the farm, kind of like some use those new side by side atv things.

I am as stoked as heck, I have always loved older Jeeps (and up to the TJ on newers ones for that matter)

Last edited:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

this is our cj

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sweet rigs! I just convinced my gf to buy a tj.... Def not as cool as a cj, but they are pretty fun. If i wasnt a ford guy, i would def have 5 or 6 of them.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Be careful those suckers roll :D
Yes, I lost a school buddy years ago along with his gf when they went out trail riding at dark. The went into a ditch and tried to climb out and the thing just rolled over on them. They were not goin fast at all. That was so sad.....

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I lost a school buddy years ago along with his gf when they went out trail riding at dark. The went into a ditch and tried to climb out and the thing just rolled over on them. They were not goin fast at all. That was so sad.....
I'm sorry to hear that man, i thought CJs had rollbars factory? or am i wrong or are they just for looks?

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
HOLY D_RING that thing is huge.

Sorry to hear of your old friends. A roll wouldnt help if your not buckled in and get crushed by it. :sad:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
which one is huge?
but yes. The cj's were originally army jeeps. mine was at least. they came with factory roll bars and over sized tires. so even if you had a stock one you're already on your way. leafs and drums all around though. we converted to 4 wheel disc. works great.
sorry to hear about your friend. its always good to have fun but you need to be safe doing it

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Going to use it as a little run around rig on the farm, kind of like some use those new side by side atv things.

I am as stoked as heck, I have always loved older Jeeps (and up to the TJ on newers ones for that matter)
Thats exactly what I intend to use this jeep for, a nice farm jeep to romp around the property with. Got it for cheap and it runs super strong! I'm with you 85_ I love the older jeeps.

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

this is our cj
Awesome! Lovin the color! I'm definately gonna go fullwidth someday, I think a little wheelbase stretch, widetrac axles and some body work(new paint included) this will be a fun classic little CJ5!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
which one is huge?
but yes. The cj's were originally army jeeps. mine was at least. they came with factory roll bars and over sized tires. so even if you had a stock one you're already on your way. leafs and drums all around though. we converted to 4 wheel disc. works great.
sorry to hear about your friend. its always good to have fun but you need to be safe doing it
I don't think the early ones had rollbars.

The one we are getting doesn't have a thing. I looked at it closer yesterday, with flat front fenders and a 2 piece windshield it being a CJ-5 is out and a CJ-3 is doubtfull...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals