• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie here needs help, Idle

campermama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
01 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 V6......

It runs fine but just started to lope at idle, any ideas? Oh and check engine light is on, I don't have anything to read the codes, can an auto parts store read them for me?

Thanks!

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there,
Yes Autozone can read them for you.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi there,
Yes Autozone can read them for you.
And very gladly sell you a part you don't need as well.

Professional diagnosis is not free. Free diagnosis is not professional.

I recommend very strongly against going to untrained high-turnover personnel for advice. The company provides this service because it raises sales, not because it serves any useful function.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I use the scanner at shucks, they just hand it to you and I do it by myself so I don't have to listen to them try and sell me anything... I fail to see how getting the codes scanned anywhere is a bad thing MAKG? You don't HAVE to buy anything they try and sell you.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Codes don't always tell you what's wrong, only what is showing up to the computer. On the other hand, sometimes the code tells you exactly what is wrong.

I'm with Hahn, go to Autozone and get the codes read, then if the problem isn't clear, come back and post what you found and I'm sure you'll get some good input from the pros.

-zz

campermama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so auto zone won't read codes anymore! They say congress passed a new law, only mechanics can do it. So now I am stuck! I don't know what to do. THe check engine light is on and it is sucking gas like crazy. Again, it runs fine just lopes at idle speed.
I need to be able to fix this myself. I was going to try replacing the PCV valve but they didn't have one in stock and I don't know where it is located under the hood or I could check it and see if it is clogged.
So any other ideas? Somebody told me maybe the IAC? That part is $80 so I would need to be sure about that first.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Just a idea,look the engine compartment over really well.I have seen wires and vacuum lines on vehicles chewed by squirels,mice and even cats.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok so auto zone won't read codes anymore! They say congress passed a new law, only mechanics can do it. So now I am stuck! I don't know what to do. THe check engine light is on and it is sucking gas like crazy. Again, it runs fine just lopes at idle speed.
I need to be able to fix this myself. I was going to try replacing the PCV valve but they didn't have one in stock and I don't know where it is located under the hood or I could check it and see if it is clogged.
So any other ideas? Somebody told me maybe the IAC? That part is $80 so I would need to be sure about that first.

Alright, don't jump off the cliff just yet. You still have options.

First...go here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

This will show you how to retrive the codes without a scan tool. It's easy, and if you can throw parts at it, you can do this first.

After you get the codes, come back, annd lets discuss your next move.

-zz

campermama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, don't jump off the cliff just yet. You still have options.

First...go here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

This will show you how to retrive the codes without a scan tool. It's easy, and if you can throw parts at it, you can do this first.

After you get the codes, come back, annd lets discuss your next move.

-zz
I am not jumping yet but I am at the edge! I don't have the tools needed to do the test without the scan tool. :fie:

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am not jumping yet but I am at the edge! I don't have the tools needed to do the test without the scan tool. :fie:
I don't think you read far enough. Look at the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Method. all it takes is a jumper wire.

campermama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think you read far enough. Look at the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Method. all it takes is a jumper wire.
Oh I see, I am not much of an electrical person, more mechanical. Wonder if it is just worth it to buy a scan tool? I would know what to buy though, I noticed there are many.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
By the way, you can pick up a volt meter for about $10. Since anything you'll have to buy to randomly throw at the problem is going to be a lot more than that. it'd probably be a good idea to add one to the tool box, especially if you want to try to work on this yourself.

It's one of the most basic tools used for diagnostic, and anyone who works on vehicles should have one.

-zz

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh I see, I am not much of an electrical person, more mechanical. Wonder if it is just worth it to buy a scan tool? I would know what to buy though, I noticed there are many.
If you can bend a paper clip, you can do this.

You never have enough tools, so if you're inclined, then by all means buy one. They'll tell you which systems they are compatible with, and what bells and whistles they have.

BTW, so you have a good manual? You should really have, at least a Chilton's or Haynes to give you basic reference. There are more complete versions of each, and mistakes appear frequently across the board, but I believe that they are indespensable for the do it to yourselfer....

-zz

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are going to work on your car yourself - talk to others like yourself. Maybe they have a recommendation for someone who is helpful and willing to take some time with you. Chances are there even are some folks on this site that are near your area and could recommend a good parts house. Our local Autozone has an Asst. Mgr. who knows his stuff. He's worked on cars but is older now and enjoys working regular hours in an Air Conditioned "office" - he's good help in many cases, or can send you to the right person.
Develop relationships - many sales people, feel obligated to tell you something, or sell you something just to cover the fact they don't really know.
It would be nice to know if someone knows what the Autozone guy it talking about. They checked my codes a couple of weeks ago.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow...
This thread makes me lose faith in this forum.
Chazz...the jumper trick instructions are for ODB1. You have a 1989, of course it works. Those instructions will not work and have no relevance to an ODB2 vehicle such as camper's 01. You are going to advise someone to waste money on tools and then spend hours looking for a plug that doesnt exist? not cool
I'm guessing you live in California...they have that stupid no code scanned thing out there.
Get the codes read, or even put on a diagnostic machine. Costs here at least between 50 and 70$ but gives you a pretty good idea whats going on.
Good luck.
alex

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals