• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No comment

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
i had to do that many times. and even had a firearm flashed a few times. you either push it away and sign a waiver or have it towed.

that is an insurance thing.

it merely needs to be out of spec. not necessarily ready to pop apart.

you never know when you are being 3rd party tested.

now that is with actual physical issues....

then there is the perfectly functioning side of things...where they are just stealing...sometimes its paperwork....somtimes its a hotspot in a tire.

my son just got a taste of that recently.......cost him 80 bux to have the tow company push his bike out of thier yard 20 feet to the trailer....

which is legal theft... but he fawked up by not having proper plates and insurance ect....

while it pisses me off.....i just make fun of him for not listening when he had the chance.
I actually did check the above mentioned items a few days later. King pins were tight, steering box was fine, tie rods had a very slight slop to them. So he was trying to rail me on it.

Had a ford dealer do it to my wife with her old taurus. They picked it up for an oil change and said "the brakes went to the floor" when they pulled it in the shop.

She called me freaking out cause they wanted 1100 bucks to fix it. I called them and when i really questioned them they said "it only happend once" and was fine after that. Total bullshit.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This reminded me of an old VW bug my dad's cousin had down in the hunting woods of East Texas.No fenders or top or nothing on it, it might have had some kind of a lean to windshield. It was wrapped mostly in old barn tin
Those beetles had good traction with the engine sitting on the rear wheels

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don’t mind the safety inspections so much. The emissions testing on the other hand is a waste. They don’t test anything the check engine light won’t show a fault for and a lot of shops won’t do the test if the light is on since it’s an automatic fail.
I can't figure how to read mine, it burned out about 10 years ago?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That’s why I try to stay on top of the maintenance and repairs. I don’t want to give them any excuse to try and pull a fast one. The last time I paid a garage to do work is because my arm was in a sling.
Yeah, I try to stay on top of it, but I can’t always keep up with things. Some shops will still make excuses. I try to only deal with shops I know and that they know me. When I can not walk into a shop for a couple years and the day I do everyone greets me by name and asks how I’m doing, I have a little more trust. Not a lot, but when we both know where we stand, it’s better for both of us. They all know I do my own work, and when I bring something they ask if I know of anything wrong. I’ll tell them what I know and what I’ve done and they all know if they find something, show me. Don’t lie because I have no problem spreading word you’re a sleezeball shop and I won’t tolerate you trying to hold my vehicle. I have other keys and it’s coming with me.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Back about 20 years ago i had a 79 F150 2wd (clean rust free alabama truck) and the exhaust donut blew out.

I took it to a place i had work done before (and they were good that time) to get it fixed.

They put it on the lift, told me 120 or 150 or whatever to fix the flange etc. I agreed and 3 days later brought it in to get fixed.

The SAME guy put it on the hoist, was gone for about an hour, came back, and said that he got the exhaust fixed but he couldnt let me drive the truck out of there.

Of course my first question was "WTF did you guys do to it?"

He then proceeded to tell me that A) The kingpins were shot and could "snap at any time", B) The steering box was "barely hanging on the frame" and C) The "tierods had so much slop that you could see under the knuckle"

Now, this was the best driving 70's ford id ever had. So i knew he was full of shit. So i told him to give me an estimate.

He came back and told me 1500 bucks.

I told him "absolutly bullshit" let it down and i need to be on my way. The guy then got in my face and started "sternly" telling me that that truck was a safety hazard and it cannot leave untill you pay me tto fix it"

I proceeded to begin walking out the shop door to the bay (i was gonna let it down, grab my hideakey under the hood, and haul ass) he then threatned to call the cops on me.

That really set me off and i turned around and threw the 150 bucks cash at him for the exhaust and said "let that mf'in truck down RIGHT NOW or I WILL call the cops and report the sumbitch stolen"

He came back with some handwritten waiver that basically said i would not hold them responsible for anything that may happen

I signed it and left.

Two weeks later the place went out of business.
Yeah, some shops are absolutely ridiculous. I ran into one along those lines back in college…

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
thats crazy. ex drill sergeants made that regulation, ha ha ha
And if they can't bounce a quarter on it, that's 2 tickets. One for non-compliance and the other for insufficient results.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can tell you that there are some very ridiculious (thankfully rarely enforced) regulations on trucks. There is actually a regulation that your bed in the sleeper must be made up and neat...and yes technically you could get a ticket for it.
Don't forget the restraining straps or safety net that's required to prevent the person sleeping in the bed from flying forward in case of an accident.

Even if you're a solo driver the restraints are still required to be functional.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We kept our inspection fee as low as we could, partly because being a new car dealer we got a lot of low mileage vehicles and partly because most people with older vehicles that failed had us do the repairs. We charged less than the time would have billed for but we didn't cut corners. If your customer dies in a wreck they won't come back. We also didn't try to sell anything unnecessary, my techs, service advisors, and I were all paid hourly so we could concentrate on doing a good job not on watching the clock or dubious "upsells".

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The ones I hated most were the fuel system cleaner up sales because “your vehicle is failing but only just so. If we do this system cleaning, you should be good.”

There may have been SOME validity to it but it’s suspect. Since I started using Chevron Techron every Spring and Fall, they’ve never asked me about it. I also stopped using big chain places to get my inspections and emissions testing done. So, the change in venue might have been why instead.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The ones I hated most were the fuel system cleaner up sales because “your vehicle is failing but only just so. If we do this system cleaning, you should be good.”

There may have been SOME validity to it but it’s suspect. Since I started using Chevron Techron every Spring and Fall, they’ve never asked me about it. I also stopped using big chain places to get my inspections and emissions testing done. So, the change in venue might have been why instead.
Chevron Techron is a good product but I beleive getting away from the chain shops was the key. BG pushes a bunch of cleaning and flushing gimmicks and I had to get rude to make their rep stop pestering me. I wanted my service advisors to sell every dollar's worth of work the customers needed and not a dime's worth of unneeded crap.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I actually did check the above mentioned items a few days later. King pins were tight, steering box was fine, tie rods had a very slight slop to them. So he was trying to rail me on it.

Had a ford dealer do it to my wife ...... after that. Total bullshit.
What exactly did the ford dealer do to your wife?

(Asking for a friend)
:yahoo::yahoo:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
At least you would have firewood wherever you went

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals