• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No electrical power

hambony1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1987 2.9 Ranger The truck will be running great and then just die. It has happened to my son driving in town 2 times. It looses all electrical power to everything. After the truck sits for awhile it will start and run great until it happens again.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had the same thing happen on a 2000 B3000. The problem just went away on it's own and has not cropped up again.

No power to nothing and would reappear when it wanted to play again.

The last thing that I fiddled with was the in line fuse. Maybe that was dirty loose or just wanted caressing, IDK.

Here is my post...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144088

Ray

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well a bad battery connection probably wouldn't kill a running engine.
While you should never do this on newer electronic systems, you can disconnect the battery while engine is running and it will stay running, that used to be an "old school way" to test if alternator is working, lol, but bad idea to do that now as there can be a voltage spike when reconnecting as alternator would be at full output.

I would look at the ignition switch first, under the steering column.
It gets power via a fuse from the battery(or alternator when running).
That power is sent(when key is on) to all the systems and EEC relay.
The EEC relay is what powers all the engine systems, coil, injectors, fuel pump relay and computer, so EEC relay losing power would kill the engine mid-stroke :) , same as turning off the key.

The ignition switch is a "slider" type switch, rotating the key slides the contacts into making connections, dirty or worn contacts could cause intermittent issues and loss of power.
Also check the power wire going to the ignition switch.

The EEC relay is either on the passenger side wheel well or under the power distribution box, there are usually 3 relays in a row, the brown one is the EEC relay, green is fuel pump relay.
If that relay or its wiring is going bad it would cause similar issue.

Brake lights and head lights are separate from ignition switch, so if those still work after shutdown then it wouldn't be battery issue.

Last edited:

hambony1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
When I say all electrical power I mean everything on the whole truck. Head lights tail lights dome light everything is out like it has no battery but the battery is good.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I lost all electrical power as well.

I still haven't solved my problem since I do not know if it will return.

Good luck on your hunt.

Ray

hambony1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ray. Maybe someone will come along that's had this happen to them and we can both get some answers.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it is aggravating to have a broken vehicle.

If you read my post that i linked to, Adsm08 had some good advice.

I was going to follow the power supply lines and see where I lost it at.

The jumper cables were going to be used as the grounding legs for the ground side.

I was losing it some where but could not duplicate the scenario to commence troubleshooting.

My truck is a female and I think she just wanted some attention. Wanted to let me know how unpleasant it could make my life.

Ray

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had it happen a few times...it was the connector inside the hood on the driver side...wonky...

Yours may be slightly different, but my 88 2.0 wiring had a 10 wire connector that was slowly disintegrating and the wires were literally hanging on by a thread. The main power feed from the battery to the ignition runs along this harness and you can probably find a wire or two that are wonky...or just the main power feed to the battery...should be a 12 gauge wire...probably black with a pink stripe or similar...check the connection around the driver side...may just be corroded, but could be that the wire is not connecting properly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I say all electrical power I mean everything on the whole truck. Head lights tail lights dome light everything is out like it has no battery but the battery is good.
So then that's easier.

There will be a Red wire from the Starter Solenoid to the Power Distribution box.
That is the "main" power wire for the whole vehicle.
It has a loose connection, if not on the solenoid then you may have to lift up the power distribution box to get to the under side of it.

Reason alternator won't keep it running is that the alternator's "B+" should be connected to that same starter solenoid post.
So that 1 wire feeds power to all vehicle systems, from battery and from alternator, so if it goes bad no power anywhere.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You are messing with 25 yr old wiring, If it is cold , it will be brittle. go slow, Use penetrating oil on bolts and as a general lube to charm connections apart that have been together since the factory. Be careful.

hambony1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can't find the power dist. Box. Anyone have a pic of what it looks like and where it is??????

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Your '87 has a fuse box behind the panel in the cabin. Same difference as 'power distribution'.

Mark88 has it on the nose, that main hot will kill everything and it has a habit of getting hot and frying the connections and plastic.
I replaced mine, trouble gone. Finding a good connector is the trick, I think I found the same connection somewhere else and repinned the plug.
That is easy and cutting wires is not necessary!

The plug is a grey, 8 wire connection on the driver side fender skirt, under the brake booster.

Good luck
Rich

hambony1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the help guys I finally got it going. It was a wire on the driver side fender well that had a melted connector. Fix the broken wire and truck runs great again. Thanks!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals