• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No heat, mid winter.

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6, soon goin bigger :-)
Transmission
Manual
So my heater went out today, while it was -45 degrees. :annoyed: The fuse isn't blown, still need to check the electrical connections, but the Fan On-Off switch is useless and the other controls don't do much. Any ideas on where to start? 1987 Ranger 2wd 2.9L manual non-A/C. Please, any input helps. PS, engine doesn't currently have a thermostat, but heat was working without it before this morning.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First off I would put a tstat in then I would check the blower switch and resistor then motor and wiring.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I second the tstat. It limits the amount of coolant going through your radiator so it doesn't get cooled off so much that the engine can't fully warm up.

I know on my Ranger the harness where it plugs into the blower motor resistor had melted from a nasty corroded connection to the resistor, so when I bought a new one I cit the connector off and put insulated spade terminals in its place. I also put a dab of dielectric grease in each one and haven't had to touch it for about 4 -5 years now.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

20yearredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Original fan motor?

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I would get a thermostat in there asap. Temperatures that low and no thermostat is just bad for the engine in a few ways. Engine needs to heat up to run in closed loop mode at its most efficient.

I run no thermostat in the summer for my rally vehicles. Pedal to the floor all day in 60-80 degree heat and they never fully heat up or throw any kind of heat out the vents. I cant imagine no thermostat in the winter 30 degrees and below. Engine would never heat up and run very lean from the dense air in a cold engine.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would also say its the blower motor itself...the resistor will allow full on even when toast...unless it has deteriorated completely...

Mine went on me last fall and they are very easy to test...just plug it in to a 12v source and the fan should spin...if not...replace the blower...

Good thing is they are pretty much the same throughout 1st, 2nd, and some 3rd gen Rangers so getting one from the junkyard or even buying a new one is still possible...just remove the old one and compare it...my last one came from a 93 Ranger...doesn't matter what engine or other options...even A/C equipped use the same fan.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
2.9 heaters get coolant directly from the heads, that is why they normally warm up relatively quickly. So you should have some heat when you are moving. If there isn't even that, there's more to the story like a clogged core, kinked hose, etc.
I concurr that if nothing comes out from the fan then look at whats been suggested.

Good luck
Rich

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I would think that -45 degrees would certainly test anything that was marginal.

TheChimera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l V6, soon goin bigger :-)
Transmission
Manual
Gremlins

Must have been the extreme cold, cause the control panel started working again today. Will be putting in the thermostat after work today, but picked up heater core, hoses, blower resistor and control valve just to be safe and cause I'm sick of chasing these little problems. But I can't seem to locate the OEM control valve. Didn't see anything looking like the incoming part on the thermostat housing, water pump or along the lines. Attached to the core? If it needs a vacuum reference, shouldn't it be underhood near the heater plenum? The only things attached to my vacuum tee are the brake booster, EGR and fuel pressure regulator. :dunno:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No control valve on those heater cores. They get coolant all the time.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk now Free

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
An 87 doesn't have a vac control as far as I can recall...that was introduced later...the second gens had some as my 92...but prior to 89 they were all cable controlled...unless someone had 'upgraded' your truck previously.

If your heater blower is working and there is heat coming out I wouldn't even change the T-stat for now because that was not the problem...unless the heat was very weak.

My fan would work if I tapped on the end of the blower motor...for about a week or so...it was a corroded connector inside the fan motor case and may have been something I could fix...except for what it was worth as opposed to simply swapping the whole motor.

They tend to get moisture up inside and that just messes things up over time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals