• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No more go past ~50-60% throttle.

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '96 b2300. Ive had some issues with it that have mostly been worked out. The problem I'm having and I guess iv had since getting the truck at ~190k miles (currently at 220k) is that 50-60% throttle is effectively flooring it. Giving it any more gas past this point doesn't net any appreciable gain in acceleration/power.

The truck has new coil packs, new o2 sensors, fresh plugs, a clean air filter, etc.

It runs about as well as a shitty truck with 220k miles could be expected otherwise (and makes plenty of power to zip around town) but I was just wondering if anyone had experienced something like this.

Sorry for any spelling/grammar snafus, I'm posting on a phone.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2.3L ? If so thats a bout right above 3rd gear.
They are NOT power plants. Love mine to death but its no V8.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that's normal if you are cruising at a low rpm, the engine doesn't need a lot of air at 3000rpm to get full power, throttles are generally oversized... the 2.3's don't wake up until after 3000rpm and most people don't run them past that point.

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2.3L ? If so thats a bout right above 3rd gear.
They are NOT power plants. Love mine to death but its no V8.
It just seems weird that about half of the gas pedal travel is useless. It almost seems like something is restricted, there is a nice linear increase in power then it just platues at a certain point in the pedal travel. Maybe I am just expecting too much.

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
that's normal if you are cruising at a low rpm, the engine doesn't need a lot of air at 3000rpm to get full power, throttles are generally oversized... the 2.3's don't wake up until after 3000rpm and most people don't run them past that point.
I typically don't take it past 4000, anything past 3500 and it starts sounding like
It doesn't like it, or maybe I'm just nervous on such a high mileage motor.

That said I don't really notice any benefit giving it more than about half throttle at any rpm.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
nothing really bad could happen as long as your engine has good oil pressure and doesn't have any weird mechanical problems... a 2.3 will live a long time even if it sees 6000rpm often, they're hard to kill.

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
nothing really bad could happen as long as your engine has good oil pressure and doesn't have any weird mechanical problems... a 2.3 will live a long time even if it sees 6000rpm often, they're hard to kill.
Speaking of oil pressure, when I start it up there is a few seconds of dry running/no oil pressure during which the valvetrain is doing some nasty clacking. I understand it takes some time to build pressure and saturate the top end but I've never had a vehicle that took so long or sounded so bad doing it.

Once the pressure needle pops up to it's normal halfway spot oil pressure is fine under all circumstances , no noise either. Is this a sign of a tired oil pump? Oil is checked regularly and it always gets a fresh filter.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I regularly take mine to 4 and 5000 rpm. Hell it sees 3 under normal shift patterns on my morning commute. The key is how long you leave the rmp up there. They can take it just not 6000 rpm for a length of time. Were are talking about a shift point. Anything over 4.5 - 5000 rpm though imho is pointless on a stock 2.3. Just makes a lot of noise and looses a lot of power.

Sounds like you should try a good tune up on your little mule honestly.
You have new plugs and coils but what about the wires ? did you gap your plugs correctly ? what brand plug ( some run like shit in our dual plug set ups btw ) ?
Change the PCV valve as well. Check for vacuum leaks and restrictions. You can remove the baffle ( torpedo looking thing in the air tube ) for a little gain.

Clean your IAC, and your electrical connections to it, as well as to the crank sensor, cam sensor, MAF or MAP if so equipped. soiled connections can do weird shit as well. Use NONE LUBRICATING contact cleaner though. Then shoot'em down with dielectric grease real good.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
a 2.3 will live a long life even at 6000rpm, they don't tend to care. but you are right, not much point past about 4600rpm as that's the power peak.

the normal reason for a loss of oil pressure on the 2.3 is a plugged oil pickup, the stock oil pan gasket breaks down and ends up in the pickup screen, causing a loss of oil pressure, sometimes you can get a coat hangar bent up through the drain hole and get some of it out of the screen, but the only other real way to fix it is to pull the engine... the oil pan doesn't come out easy with the engine in, by the time you get it off you would have been better off just pulling the engine.

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I regularly take mine to 4 and 5000 rpm. Hell it sees 3 under normal shift patterns on my morning commute. The key is how long you leave the rmp up there. They can take it just not 6000 rpm for a length of time. Were are talking about a shift point. Anything over 4.5 - 5000 rpm though imho is pointless on a stock 2.3. Just makes a lot of noise and looses a lot of power.

Sounds like you should try a good tune up on your little mule honestly.
You have new plugs and coils but what about the wires ? did you gap your plugs correctly ? what brand plug ( some run like shit in our dual plug set ups btw ) ?
Change the PCV valve as well. Check for vacuum leaks and restrictions. You can remove the baffle ( torpedo looking thing in the air tube ) for a little gain.

Clean your IAC, and your electrical connections to it, as well as to the crank sensor, cam sensor, MAF or MAP if so equipped. soiled connections can do weird shit as well. Use NONE LUBRICATING contact cleaner though. Then shoot'em down with dielectric grease real good.
Plugs were OEM replacement from autozone. This weekend I'm replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the egr. I'll also take a look at the maf and PCV and crank/cam sensors. Plug wires are original and one managed to work it's way into the cam position sensor plate and wore a hole through the outter insulation, I'll try replacing those too.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Plugs were OEM replacement from autozone. This weekend I'm replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the egr. I'll also take a look at the maf and PCV and crank/cam sensors. Plug wires are original and one managed to work it's way into the cam position sensor plate and wore a hole through the outter insulation, I'll try replacing those too.
you have to do the tuneup first and then go from there. 15 year old wires have to go......only use autlite or morocraft wires they have the hooks on them. also what plug did you use from AZ if it was the Boschs. take them out know. you only want to use MC or autolite DP's. clean the maf as the directions on the can tell you, change the airilter, make sure there is no blocakge in the intake, clean the TB, iacv, change the pcv.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Speaking of oil pressure, when I start it up there is a few seconds of dry running/no oil pressure during which the valvetrain is doing some nasty clacking. I understand it takes some time to build pressure and saturate the top end but I've never had a vehicle that took so long or sounded so bad doing it.

Once the pressure needle pops up to it's normal halfway spot oil pressure is fine under all circumstances , no noise either. Is this a sign of a tired oil pump? Oil is checked regularly and it always gets a fresh filter.
Mine does the same thing first time i start it for the day. It realy bothers me to hear the engine make so much noise. I saw somewhere on this site a 90 degree adapter for the filter, so the filter is hanging vertically instead of horizontally. I think im going to try to find one, hoping that would eliminate starting the truck with a 1/2 empty filter. If anyone know what im talking about or where to find one, thanks!

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So when do these motors tend to go? I'm at 220k and I can't imagine it lasting THAT much longer. It still makes good power so I assume the compression's still good. But it is hemorrhaging oil from every place it can and eats about a quart to a quart and a half between oil changes.

If I had to guess I'd say the transmission would be the first to go tho. Doesn't like finding first/second sometimes, makes some interesting and loud noises intermittently, and was run on the 'black water' gear oil for who knows how many miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals