• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noisy muffler

Geof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi

Since few weeks my 1999 ranger 4.0L ( 250000km) is very noisy. I have inspected all exhaust pipes and they seem in good shape. The exterior of the muffler seems also ok. When I start the truck the sound seems to come from the muffler. Is it possible something is broken inside of the muffler and creating more noisy as normal noise level?

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whats the muffler? if it was a welded(inside) and it rusted or a weld failed it could be banging around inside the can, i mean a divider or plate or whatever you call those

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I've seen mufflers where the insides are completely missing due to rust, it makes them a little louder. I've also seem mufflers with a large hole in the top where you cannot see it and the rest of it looks new, usually really noisy inside the vehicle.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well some mufflers had that press fit thing for the pipes going in and comming out and i know on subarus they were notorious for rattling loose and causing excessive noise (well up here they were.

The Bandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the seam on the muffler. We run nothing but Ford truck mufflers on our older heavy duty trucks, they will rust and blow out at the seam. Sometimes they will seperate and you can tell, sometimes they will just open up enough to let all the sound out.

Also, the insides of these mufflers are just spot welded, and it dosn't take a whole lot of corrosion and vibration to rattle them loose. Changing one baffle's position can change the entire sound of a muffler as well.

Geof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you may also want to check your cat. my trail rig got real noisy and i couldn't figure it out. thought it was the muffler, turned out to be the heat shield above the cat that was coming off and rattling like crazy. just a thought.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
with the truck off. bang on the cat., and then the muffler.

replace whichever makes noise, i assume you're talkign about an annoying rattling noise and not an exhaust leak right?

i had a huge explosion in my exhaust a few months ago that blew the baffles in my muffler loose and made a horrible rattle. since i had no money i cut an access hole in the side of the muffler and tack welded all the baffles in place... plus removed 1 haha.

its been a rattle free can ever since

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals