• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Non-automotive heating question

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a hot water heating system, hydronic heating.
Using radiators, a boiler and one pump for circulation.

There are 4 Zones, 3 zones are working fine.
1 zone, the second largest, has limited flow.
It has 5 radiators and 1/2" copper lines between them but.......the lines are all in/below concrete slab.

The first 2 radiators in the direction of the flow will heat up hot but slowly, 3rd even slower and never hot, last 2 just barely warm.
So I concluded something is partially blocking the flow so the hot water is cooling off faster than it can flow thru.
The return line is almost cold.
I can duplicate the symptom on the 6 radiator zone by partially closing the out or return valve on that zone

System has between 15-20psi of pressure, I can close the 6 valves on the other 3 zones and pressure holds so there is no leak in this zone.

Valves "feel" OK, but I guess you never know.
Or could it be in a radiator, don't see how since they are literally just a copper pipe with fins, no bends, just a 90 at each end going down into the slab.

On each rad there is an air bleeder, pressure is of course, the same on all since this is a flow problem, and the hole for the bleeder is not really large enough to test flow.

Brain is drawing a blank on how to test where the blockage might be?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thermal imaging? I don't know fluid dynamics. Can you try pressure and blow out the obstruction? Perhaps pressurize the system and take readings from the bleeders. As in open the outlet and pressurize the inlet with air, then take readings at each bleeder. Kind of like a leakdown test.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure thermal would help, flow is slow, blockage could be the inlet valve or the outlet valve, thermal loss from first to last radiator would be the same.

Yes, when I start to unsolder the lines I may try pressure on the in and then the out lines, line with the blockage should be slower to react to pressure increase.
Might try that now, I can increase pressure in the system using expansion tank, then open the two valves, one at a time, and see what pressure changes I get at each radiator.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The way I was thinking is that both ends are open. Pressurize one end and take readings at each rad. When the pressure drops the obstruction is on the side you have already checked. I realize there will be pressure drops from line length but it shouldn't throw the readings off too much. You probably already figured that out but it makes it clearer in my own mind if I write it out.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Ron I know this an older thread.. did you ever fix the prob?
Seems to me with 1/2" copper and that many rads you will need a High head circulator like a taco 0010 or the grunfos equivalent. most home systems only use the taco 007 Are the rads on a loop? or do they have supply and return piping under the floor? I'm guessing loop. Do you hear water gurgling in the rads? the means air bound. sometimes bleeders don't get all the air out and the loop needs to be purged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuf8A7D64YU

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals