• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

not sure which fogs to get ... help! thanks!

the.hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
hello everybody,

ive got a 2003 ford ranger xlt and im looking to add fog lights to it. but im confused as to which size to get though and am wondering if an 04 fog light would fit.

when i search for 03 lights i find the round type, but thats not what i need. this isnt my truck (mine is identical but in silver) but this pic shows the type of front bumper i have:

so do i need to get the 2004- style fog light? or something different? thanks!!!

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You would at least need to get the stock lower valence that supports fog lights ... ie. my valence has honeycomb grill knock outs that you can pop out and slap fogs behind. It looks like yours is a single piece though?

Edit: This is the style that fit my '04 with the knock outs ...

I believe you can find them on Rock Auto, LMC Truck, etc.

Last edited:

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The easiest way is the dealer.

Tell them its for a 03 4x4 (or an 04 is you want that style), and the valance will come with the fog lights already in them.

Maybe more expensive, but no more hunting for parts and wiring it up. The harness is already there for the fogs, you only need the switch and the relay (and of course the fogs).

the.hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the replies!

think i will try to wire up some aftermarket ones and keep the valance as is.

yea it looks to be solid, i thought the flat pieces in the recessed areas would be removable but they dont appear to be :sad:

stringburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
The '03 valances like you have don't have the knock-outs like the '04+ models have. I have the same valance as you on my Ranger, and I have the Ford accessory foglight kit. You drill a hole in the flat where the fog's would normally be (it came w/ a template and you use a hole saw), then it's plug and play.

The existing harness in your truck may or may not be ready for oem fogs. Mine wasn't, and it's an extended cab 4x4 XLT w/ the 4.0 SOHC V6. I have the plug behind the radio bezel for the switch, but no foglight harness to the front valance.

Anyway, the Ford kit comes w/ very nice Hella foglights. They are extremely bright, and have Ranger specific brackets. Unfortunately, they aren't available anymore. I'm switching to an FX4 valance/fogs, so I'll most likely sell the Ford Hella foglights. If you're interested i'll keep you in mind and let you know before I do anything. :beer:

stringburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
...or you could switch to the XLT/FX4 (or Edge if you want it painted) valance like I purchased:

Lots of choices. :icon_surprised:

the.hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
wow that valance is awesome looking!

appreciate your posts too btw.

heres an update:

i found a nice set of hella optilux 1100 series online so i bought those :) i didnt like the switch that came with the kit so i purchased a rocker style one at autozone.

last nite i removed the lower part of the dash (under the steering wheel) and found a place to mount the switch over by the guage light dimming wheel.

also used a hole saw and then a key saw to cut out the flat panel at the back of the recessed area.

soooooo ....

tonight or this weekend i should be able to tidy up this project and ill have working fogs :) ill post pics when im done.

also blacking out my headlights and throwing in an hid kit if i get really ambitious :)

Last edited:

stringburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I think you'll be happy w/ the Hella's if they are anything like the ones I have. I honestly drug my feet for a year or so getting the FX4 front valance because I know the oem fogs won't be anywhere near as bright as the smaller Hella's in the Ford accessory kit. I can see better on low beam (when the fogs are on) than on high beam by far. Amazing lights.

Are you going to use a hole saw and install them in the "fog light" spot in the valance, or in the center opening?

wow that valance is awesome looking!
Ford is extremely proud of those Level II tow hooks. Sheesh.

Last edited:

the.hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
got the project done over the weekend and even had time to black out my headlights :)

stringburner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That looks really good. I love the blacked out headlights....how do you do it? Remove the plastic lense and spray paint them?

the.hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
thanks

used this how to for the headlights:

http://www.generation-edge.info/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=641

i put a single layer of pot holders down on a cookie sheet and placed the headlight (did one at a time) lens side down on there.

FOR ME i had to set my oven to 225 and bake for a solid 20 minutes before i could get most of it worked loose. then an additional 10 minutes to get the rest loose so that it came apart easy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals