• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nubie 4x4 ?

Nova 404

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up a high mileage 2003 FX4 for my daughters first car/truck. When test driving it we could not get the 4X4 to engage, no lights on dash but clicking from the passenger dash area.4hi and 4 lo lights come on on first start up then go out like the should. Have tried tapping on the transfer case motor with no change. I did have it running in neutral but nobody in the car stepping on the brake which may have made this test useless :(Truck sat a long time and I'm sure that the 4x4 was rarely used. I have access to a snap on scanner at work and was wondering if it has self diagnosis capability? I have been driving it for a few days now fixing odds and ends and today I was trying to see if 4x4 would work and I got it to go into 4lo and had to drive it to my destination and cycle the key to get it out of 4lo.This may have been on me as I was in traffic and just turned the knob without putting it in neutral :shok:I have not been able to get this to happen again. There is so much info out there its hard to chose the most efficient way to diagnose this issue

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it might be on its way out, but if you've gotten it into 4lo you may want to try unbolting the shift motor from the t-case (with it still connected) and have someone in the cab cycle the switch a few times to see if frees it up.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
If I recall if the 4WD isn't used often those electric motors can get all gummed up to the point they won't work and as a result you get no 4WD, or it finally shifts into 4hi or 4lo and gets stuck there LOL.

Pull the shift motor off and like 1996xlt said, have someone turn the knob and see if it will move. If it does the motor is probably just really dirty and probably can be cleaned, not sure how they come apart but I'm sure a few TRS members know and would have a better idea on how to go about getting working again...the easiest way being to simply replace the motor LOL.

Nova 404

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had it at work today and it's got a P1819 neutral safety short to ground code. Looks like I will have to chase that down first. It had the trans replace @20k ago, I wonder if they pinched a wire :-(

Nova 404

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well............. printed out the diagnostic test info from Mitchel on Demand for the code. Found the info to be a little vague, passed the short to ground test. The second step stated " check for voltage present" I had like .5 volts not what I was expecting to see. Figured I would see battery voltage. Proceeds to check voltage on the neutral switch to 4x4 control unit and I could see 12 v -0 v switching gears meaning to me the circuit was good. Looked at the wiring diagram and figured I could hot wire the transfer case motor to see if I could get it to work. Pulled it off and jumped power and ground in both polarities motor would not run. Disassembled the motor and it looked ok inside although a little different in design to what I have seen on the web. Sanded the armature and reassembeled and tested again with power and ground motor runs. I plugged the motor back into the car off the transfer case and it would move when switching the dash switch but still no 4hi/4lo indicators on the dash, I suspect the encoder??? Is also defective?? Replaced the motor this evening with a Dorman one and all works perfect!

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Mission Accomplished! Sure feels good when you solve a problem!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals