• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd happenings!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thought I had it all fixed. Now for some odd reason, the dang thing will just up and die while driving down the road. It's happened twice in the last few days. Driving down the road, and all of a sudden, the engine stalls and all the gauge lights come on. Coast to the side of the road, wait a few minutes, and it starts right up again.

Then on Tuesday, while idling in the parking lot at work, it started running very rough and a bunch of foul smelling white smoke came out of the exhaust. I mean, PHEW, stunk bad! Then it cleared up and went on like nothing happened.

I took the chip back off the computer, because a few years ago when it started doing this stalling thing, after I removed the chip it never happened again. Now it's doing it without the chip.

Very odd, and coming closer to having the damn thing hauled to a junk yard every day. It's running fabulously and have no codes and all monitors are in the READY mode. And yet, it just up and dies for no apparent reason!!! WTF??? What do I look for now?

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a fuel issue. The trucks can not determine over fueling. When my truck was over fueling it gave a bank lean code but you can smell raw fuel out the pipe. Come to fund out fuel pressure regulator was open all the time putting more fuel into the system.

If you haven't mod your O2's yet check the readings. I had to do it when mine went full open on regular to figure it out, so when it's trying to die in your case would be a good time to see what the readings are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder if over-filling the fuel tank might have caused the problem this time. I had just left the station, and had over-filled it trying to get to a round dollar. Which I typically do. Maybe this guys pumps are different because I had fuel bubbling at the vents in the filler neck when I finished.

And though the truck stalled on the way to work, when I got to work it barfed when idling, as said in the OP. Also when I ran a code scan, the monitor for the EVAP was INC, which it had not been previously. When I got home after work, it was back to READY once again.

Wonder if when over-filled, somehow the EVAP system swallowed some fuel and went rich on me, causing the stinky smoke? Because it has not done it again since Monday.

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
It depends on year model if it has a return line over fueling can be bad. Most tanks have a 1 gallon air pocket.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It depends on year model if it has a return line over fueling can be bad. Most tanks have a 1 gallon air pocket.

Mine's a 98 and I believe it has a return line. Guess I'll just make sure from this point on not to overfill it. It's been running great since driving it home Monday evening. The station I use is a pump first pay later station, and I typically try to round off to the nearest dollar so I don't have to deal with coin change. This last time I just had trouble getting the damn pump to stop on an even dollar. Went past .00 three times before I got it right. :annoyed:

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
98 is non return line system

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals