• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd M5 3-4th shifting issue

Kahuna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I just had my M5 tranny on my '94 Mazda B3000 lock up - trusting oil and lube shops is a F'ing crap shoot. Fluid was low/was a leak/no one told me ... so kabaam :bawling:

Anyway, I bought and had put in a "guaranteed" used '97 Ranger M5 - and as is my luck, I found the tranny shop doing the work is a bit "lacking" in competence by not discovering this obvious issue in a test drive. I wouldn't trust them to diagnose a hang-nail. They didn't put in a complete shifter bushing set so the shifter felt loose and sloppy.
I put in a new shifter bushing kit thinking it would clear things up. It did as expected and did naturally tighten things up, but an odd issue remained with just 3rd-4th:

Both gears are loose like a worn shifter bushing issue - neither gears are holding tight - when in gear the shifter is still sloppy loose. Sometimes goes in gear(s), sometimes like the gear isn't there (like is in neutral); Sometimes can't get it out of gear without tugging hard - Sometimes like it's stuck in gear. I'm not an internal tranny expert, but know something of it - feels like something is "sticking" in shifter area, maybe from sitting and drying out? - maybe time and fluid flow will loosen things up?

:icon_confused:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
bent fork? not a expert either but seems to me that this could be an issue

Kahuna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
bent fork? not a expert either but seems to me that this could be an issue
The forks that push the sliders don't really get "bent", but they can wear at the contact points and not push sliders (in/out of gear) - which could be the issue.
I wish I could pull the top housing and have a look, could be just gunky from sitting unused. I use to do that kind of stuff, but being disabled I can't just pull a tranny like I use to. :sad:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The forks that push the sliders don't really get "bent", but they can wear at the contact points and not push sliders (in/out of gear) - which could be the issue.
I wish I could pull the top housing and have a look, could be just gunky from sitting unused. I use to do that kind of stuff, but being disabled I can't just pull a tranny like I use to. :sad:

bent is just the term we have always used :D:D:D

Kahuna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
bent is just the term we have always used :D:D:D
Not sure who "we" is, but if you understood what the forks actually are you'd realize "bent" is not a relevant term - it is highly unlikely the forks, or the beefy connecting rods, would get or be "bent" - Like saying a bowling ball got bent.

This video might help you understand - go to 4:36 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGJFICZ7vE

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'm fairly sure that saying comes from the motorcycle world. I've seen more than a few pictures of "bent" forks in them. Presumably because some d*****s stomped the shifter trying to get it to shift without moving the bike.

It'd be pretty hard to put that much force on the shift lever in a truck...

Kahuna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Update - :popcorn:
Hard shifting issue: I suspect the "pros" who put the tranny in didn't check and bleed the hydraulics - pathetic :pissedoff:
The odd stick moving way too far between 3-4, and being "sloppy" loose (going down the street to the local grocer I couldn't get 3rd) - can't diagnose that correctly until hydraulics are bled and known working properly; And she's real bitch to drive until then as well :bad:

Kahuna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Resolved

All resolved -
Hard shifting was indeed lack of the "pros" NOT bleeding my clutch system - the "pros" didn't put in a new slave cylinder/release bearing as they charged me for with a clutch kit, they also lost my clutch inspection cover, and the shifter bushings were not installed as perviously stated, didn't replace rear seal/boot as instructed, they filled with gear oil not ATF as required, and barely had 2 qts. :pissedoff:

The shifter moving to far in 3rd-4th was the shifter stub being the shorter '88-'94 M5R1 part - so need a new stub ($50 new). The shop that sold me the used tranny (looked excellent inside BTW) said a '96 M5R1 would work fine in my '94 - ....OOOPS! Now we know better. :icon_thumby:

Conclusion, never trust a "pro" :idiot:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure who "we" is, but if you understood what the forks actually are you'd realize "bent" is not a relevant term - it is highly unlikely the forks, or the beefy connecting rods, would get or be "bent" - Like saying a bowling ball got bent.

This video might help you understand - go to 4:36 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGJFICZ7vE

We meaning the term people in locality i grew up in.....and yes i do know what forks are for..

Kahuna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
We meaning the term people in locality i grew up in.....and yes i do know what forks are for..
If the people in your locality don't know anything about M5R1 transmissions then who cares? The question wasn't about what forks are FOR, the issue is the forks and operations of the M5R1 transmission - In your ignorance you are contributing nothing of value to the discussion. If don't have something pertinent to say, say nothing - you're just wasting people's time in making others fish through to your BS :bye:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals