• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

rangertroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 now getting 2.3t
Transmission
Automatic
really?it still drives.just no reverse or park.i do not know what gear it is in because no matter where the shifter is it goes forward.not even sure if it changes gears...just drove it around the block...geuss i will drive it again alittle father tomorrow.

Ratch

Reaction score
Make / Model
FixOrRepairDaly
Engine Size
big enough
Transmission
Automatic
For a while I thought it was a driveshaft joint, but those are fine, so the jolt I feel when shifting is probably the trans. I've heard it has thrust washers where it should have bearings for durability. I don't have the money for trans work. When I stop paying medical bills I can start saving money for repairs.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just thought I'd add my 2 cents, I have an '87 w/a4ld, it waited to drop into drive gear for a solid minute or two and manual select gear wouldnt go at all, reverse was a 5 sec wait and then HUGE bang into gear - i drained the tranny @ the cooler line the BRAND NEW fluid was almost black (clutches going?) filled 'er up with mobil 1 synthetic oil and she doing just fine for now....

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
My 87 B2 has 121*** on it and the motor runs great. About a week ago i noticed that on stop and go I hear and feel what i can only describe as a
clunk :icon_confused: then when i am driving down the road the whole car shutters like it has a warped rotor or your riding on rumbble strips, but i dont feel it in the brake pedal. it will do it pretty bad when the trany is cold. when it warms up its still there but not as bad. At times it seems to shift pretty hard and slips going up a grade.
Not really sure what the problem is i took it to my mechanic and they told me that it is a transmission issue, but meaning they are not a transmission shop, could not pinpoint the issue. But they thought that maybe it was the pump.
I have noticed that it is starting to lag more when i start from a dead stop.
I am thinking of having it rebuilt. about 2200 with a 36/50000 mile warranty. It would be done at a shop that specializes in transmissions. All updates done, and TSBs taken care of.
i know i should go with the M5OD, but right now I am having a hard time finding one and i need to get the DD going.

J_L_K_64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey y'all, got an issue, thinking i might be able to get some info

ok, i've got a 92 ford ranger, ex cab, 3.0 engine, a4ld trans, recently (past week or so) i have almost completely lost all the gears under overdrive, and almost completely lost reverse, local mechanic told me to try some trans-x, thinking it was some clogged bearings or something, so i got that, removed some fluid, and replaced with the trans-x, at first it seemed like it did the trick, truck was back to normal (normal being it had a semi hard time shifting from first into second and second into third) but that was only to last for a couple days

the other day i went to go to the store and it was back to where i had to give it a lot of gas before it would move, kind of like trying to drive with the e-brake on but after diddling with it, going into 1st, the 2nd, then drive, then OD then neutral, then reverse it would work itself loose a little bit and give me false hope that it was working, i would notice that driving down the road, it would jerk a little in the middle of a gear (first namely) and would be extremely sluggish from a stand still

i've tried what the mechanic says, and nothing seems to be clearing up the problems, i can't drop the pan or do any kind of semi serious work to it because i don't have the space/tools to actually dig into it, basically all i can do is take it somewhere to have someone else do the work for me, but i was wondering if i could get some type of info from you guys first, so i will have an idea of what's wrong with it, and how much it might cost to get it fixed

i can give you guys/(gals?) any kind of info y'all might need, short of doing any kind of real things to it (dropping the pan/trans/etc etc)

~~edit~~
i think it might only be happening when it's cold, but i haven't had a chance to test it during warm weather, just yet

Last edited:

CalgaryRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 ranger with A4ld won't shift into OD. I had a tranny shop look at it and they figure the same as me (electrical). THey found metal in the pan and told me it prob wouldn't be worth me paying them to find the elec problem as the trans is prob on the way out any way. I Hooked into the back side of the orange/yellow wire it has 14 volts until the ecm grounds it out in drive. Why would this be the trans shift lever isn't even in overdrive? I noticed I have a red wire on top of the bell housing. So my question is seeing this wire is half rubbed (and I think it is the power wire to the trans) would it be only able to supply enough current to run one solenoid? I'm reving around 2500 rpm at 60mph and nothing happens when moving shift lever from OD to D.

CalgaryRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got it figured just adjusted the bands :yahoo:

joescool2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
Well the first half of the day my tranny shifted ok, it would always take awhile in the morning to shift from 1st to second . I would usually hammer the gas to get it to shift. Anyways, parked it for awhile to do some bodywork n my car and went to leave. Put it in reverse, all good. Turned and tried OD and none of my forward gears work now. Reverse is still great. Tranny was rebuilt 6k ago. It's a 4.0 ranger with the 4ALD.

ramon6682

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A4LD Trouble.

I have a problem with my transmission in my 1993 ford explorer. About a month a go i was revving it up in park and it slammed into drive, kinda. The shifter didnt move. So for a couple weeks park, and neutral were drive gears as well as 1st thru overdrive. My reverse didnt work. I was driving in park one day by accident and there was a loud clank and park would no longer drive. My drive gears still worked and my reverse started working again. Slowly over the last couple weeks its been harder for it to shift into drive. The gear shifter works fine, but the trans would not want to shift. I have had to rev it up to anywhere from 3 to 5000 rpm to get it to shift in. It finally quit shifting into drive all together. my reverse still works but not drive. Also park will not hold the truck. I have to use the parking brake. Please help. Thank you

ramon6682

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Confused

When I posted on here i was expecting some feedback or something

rickster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I read through all 15 pages and didn't see an answer, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. 02 Ranger stupid-cab V6 A4LD trans 2WD. Been taking a several seconds to engage reverse with a pop and now lately been taking a few seconds for drive to engage normally. Got a pissed at the wait time today in reverse and then drive and like a dumbass I revved the engine a bit and when it engaged forward I drove off for a bit, then it dropped out like a stall or stumble but just flat freefall with no engine revving, then engaged. This cycle repeated for for about a half mile with minimal increase in speed or power. I shut it down and restarted, not moving until it firmly engaged drive and I was able to drive away normally. Any ideas on the problem here would be greatly appreciated.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I read through all 15 pages and didn't see an answer, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. 02 Ranger stupid-cab V6 A4LD trans 2WD. Been taking a several seconds to engage reverse with a pop and now lately been taking a few seconds for drive to engage normally. Got a pissed at the wait time today in reverse and then drive and like a dumbass I revved the engine a bit and when it engaged forward I drove off for a bit, then it dropped out like a stall or stumble but just flat freefall with no engine revving, then engaged. This cycle repeated for for about a half mile with minimal increase in speed or power. I shut it down and restarted, not moving until it firmly engaged drive and I was able to drive away normally. Any ideas on the problem here would be greatly appreciated.
Get the filter in the trans changed. also check the fluid level, but get the fluid and filter changed.

Robert

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just to let everyone know I have found that an a4ld that shifts and works well in other areas but has a very hard time in the 1-2 shift when cold its most likely that the governor is sticking

scarface

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a4ld

randomly when placed into park it will still feel engaged to the engine
not allowing it to rev

89DANGERANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
88 bronco 2 2.9 auto trans

i have no 4th gear....any fix? other gears work fine just shift kind of rough

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals