• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil & Filter transmission

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi everybody,
I saw in the list of fluid capacities for the Ford Ranger that for models from 1991 to 1997, it indicated Mercon automatic fluid transmission for an A4LD gearbox. I can't find this in France, and I'm wondering if this oil is mineral or synthetic and what is best to use for these old auto gearboxes?
and what about transmission filters, because on rockauto, there are different forms for the same vehicles.
My 93'ranger is rear-wheel drive and not 4wd, and yet the transmission filters offered are sometimes different and sometimes identical. I haven't opened my crankcase yet, because I don't have the oil and filter yet, however I want to be sure I have the correct references before dismantling.

Annotation 2024-02-20 133305.png

Another question: can we put the same oil in the power steering?

I have this bottle at the moment, can I use it in the box and/or the steering?

Thank you for your enlightenment, here again I am in the shadows...

Fabi1

Icône de validation par la communauté

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I wouldn't use that fluid unless it says on the bottle that it meets Mercon/ Dexron II specs. Ford used an Aisan 5 speed automatic for a short while in Fusions and it used a unique fluid. Does Summit Racing, Amazon or Rock Auto deliver to France?

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Th
Yes deliveries to France are possible but at what price!!! I tested and I didn't like the intermediary taxes
It is better to stay on mineral oils despite everything if I understand correctly

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is interesting. Aisin ATF 6+ FE is Mercon LV, so you definitely don't want that.

If the Aisin ATFs are what's most available to you, I wonder whether their regular ATF6 might be okay. I'd wait for someone with more of an engineering background to chime in, but I feel like this might be one of those times the answer is "not officially, but it's probably fine".
Like Walt said, ATF6's Ford spec is XT-8-QAW, but I question whether it's actually unique.

It's apparently the same as 3309 / T-IV. It's explicitly not Mercon V, and doesn't say anything about Mercon, but it is compatible with Dex III. I use Dex/Merc, and what do you know, it's compatible with Dex III, Mercon, T-IV and 3309.

I get the feeling XT-8-QAW is compatible with original Mercon, but Ford stopped using original Mercon as a standard, so they can't say that.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Interesting...the transmission was built in France, so you would think you would be able to find ATF for it there.

Not sure if this helps or not:

It's funny to think that in France, we are able to manufacture automatic gearboxes for foreign cars even though our cars are overwhelmingly manual.
Times are changing with the arrival of hybrid and electric cars in recent years. But on thermal engines, we are very behind compared to the USA

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is interesting. Aisin ATF 6+ FE is Mercon LV, so you definitely don't want that.

If the Aisin ATFs are what's most available to you, I wonder whether their regular ATF6 might be okay. I'd wait for someone with more of an engineering background to chime in, but I feel like this might be one of those times the answer is "not officially, but it's probably fine".
Like Walt said, ATF6's Ford spec is XT-8-QAW, but I question whether it's actually unique.

It's apparently the same as 3309 / T-IV. It's explicitly not Mercon V, and doesn't say anything about Mercon, but it is compatible with Dex III. I use Dex/Merc, and what do you know, it's compatible with Dex III, Mercon, T-IV and 3309.

I get the feeling XT-8-QAW is compatible with original Mercon, but Ford stopped using original Mercon as a standard, so they can't say that.

Good morning,
After a lot of thought on the subject which gave me white hair, I actually have the AIsin ATF6 version in my possession, and not the 6+ as in the photo. In my opinion, this is not ideal, because I would need an oil displaying Mercon compatibility, and on the ATF6, we are on Mercon V... I continue to look and in an auto center
I found the following but given the price and the brand, I have doubts...how can a low-cost oil be so versatile?
Extrait Compte commun CA.png

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Absolutely. What will work, for sure, is Mercon / Mercon V. Any speculation about whether ATF6, XT-8-QAW, or whatever else might work is only relevant if you're in a pinch.

If the most important consideration is peace of mind, spend what it costs to order the right thing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Absolutely. What will work, for sure, is Mercon / Mercon V. Any speculation about whether ATF6, XT-8-QAW, or whatever else might work is only relevant if you're in a pinch.

If the most important consideration is peace of mind, spend what it costs to order the right thing.
The OP is in France. Thus why they are trying to find a suitable fluid. Apparently Mercon or Mercon V is not available there.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Right, that's why I suggested ATF6 might be fine, and explained why: I'm guessing it's more likely something with DexIII/T-IV/3309 certification just didn't explicitly test for Mercon certification, than that it actually has some unique, critical difference in its additive package.

If convenience and budget are the most important, I'd personally be comfortable running the ATF6. If absolute certainty I'm running the "right thing" is most important, I'd spend the money to import the right thing.

He's also got the option to keep driving around trying to find something that says Mercon on the shelf, like maybe the Aisin AFW don posted.

Fabi1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Right, that's why I suggested ATF6 might be fine, and explained why: I'm guessing it's more likely something with DexIII/T-IV/3309 certification just didn't explicitly test for Mercon certification, than that it actually has some unique, critical difference in its additive package.

If convenience and budget are the most important, I'd personally be comfortable running the ATF6. If absolute certainty I'm running the "right thing" is most important, I'd spend the money to import the right thing.

He's also got the option to keep driving around trying to find something that says Mercon on the shelf, like maybe the Aisin AFW don posted.

vavoline.png

I think I'm going to opt for patience by ordering this on rockauto, because that's what seems most suitable
Thanks for your helpfull

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals