• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure Sensor

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So I replaced my Oil Pressure Sensor back in March. Symptoms were that if i drove the truck past a certain length of time (usually highway), when I came to a stop at a light or something, my Oil Pressure gauge would start to go nuts. Sometimes it was only if i was sitting still, foot on brake and turning the steering wheel a little. Sometimes it is me just sitting with foot on brake. If I lift off the brake it is fine. Also, day to day on my short trip to work (approx 7-10 miles) the problem does not happen.

After I replaced the sensor back in March the issue went away. Now it is back, same symptoms. Possible it's just a bad sensor or do you think there is a strain somewhere causing it? Could something in the steering be affecting the reading? Truck runs fine otherwise

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dump it and put an actual guage for the oil pressure. The "guage" in the dash is only a switch as is the sender that you recently put on. Your problem probably lies in the dash portion and not the actual sender itself.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna say you have a low idle.

You might also have a vacuum leak causing the low idle since pressing the brake pedal uses vacuum.
Intake gaskets are typical problems on 4.0s, but check the PCV too.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2003/VacuumLeaks.htm

Might try cleaning the IAC too.

Then disconnect the battery and turn on/off the headlamps. Reconnect battery and let it idle 4 minutes in each of these conditions:
Park
Park with AC on
D with Brake or PB set , I forget which
and D with AC

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The "sensor" is a simple pressure switch, not a real sensor. All it does is provide ground once a certain oil pressure is reached. The gauge just jumps to the center when the switch grounds itself.

You should be able to troubleshoot the sender with a simple multimeter. Remove the single wire lead and check that the sensor shows ground when the engine is running. Also, if the wire's connector is oily or loose, it can cause a bad connection and a bouncing gauge, crimp the connector a bit so its tight when you put it on the sensor.

Last year, I downshifted and revved the 4.0 hard, next thing I knew, oil was blowing out the back of the truck! :( Turned out that the oil pressure went up so fast that it blew the 250k mile sensor apart! It was NOT a fun 2 mile drive home, I was able to stop and buy more oil to keep it from running dry until I got home, but it leaked out a good quart every minute it was running, what a mess it made underneath.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals