• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One Mean C10....

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pics!! Video!! The suspense is brutal

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
and all this started because your dad backed in to it !?!?

Robert

posted with a really good glass of tea and cookies.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yep. kinda glad he did now.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Really picking up steam on this truck. Seeing it come together is really exciting for me. It truly is a dream come true.

Anyway, enough of the soapbox... Lets get onto the updates!:metal:

Most of the exterior body modifications and repairs are completed. Still have to shave the new tailgate, and now I have decided to go ahead and fix the rust in the floor/inner rocker area. It is the only real "damage/repair-needed" area left on the truck, so might as well address it now, and get it over with.

Here is a pic as of yesterday evening.

(sorry for the dark picture. Photobucket is being a tool right now...)

Can you guys tell what has been done?

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, it might not look like much has gone on, but a lot of little changes.

First, and probably the most noticeable would be the primer spots all over the truck. We DAed the body of the truck except the hood and roof, but those two will come likely this weekend.

Next noticeable would probably be the lack of a hole in the grille. The new piece has been welded in, and we are now working on finishing out the filler and primer. All the body work on the grille area is about 80% done. Still need to line up the passenger fender and finish out the last bit of sanding, then she is ready for some paint.
(Sorry, didn't get a pic of this up close.)

The other mods would likely only be seen by those who are really familiar with these trucks, or have a keen eye. All the places I wanted to be shaved have been taken care of. Gas Tank filler neck hole, Antenna mount on passenger side, and the bed stake holes.

Here are some pictures. They still have good amount of finishing to do, but they are currently in high build primer, and I will cut it down with 220.

Filler neck gone.

There is a little bit of filler buildup between the cab and bed, but don't worry, that will all be sanded out.

Antenna Mount

Not sure if this was factory back in the day, but the cowl doesn't have the place for an antenna, so it could have been. Either way, it was not my cup of tea, so off she went. The antenna has been moved inside, but was just wedged in the A pillar. I'm going to figure out something. Maybe hide it inside the pillar, or the cab corner area. I'll post pics when I do something with it.

One of the bed stake holes

If you see one, you've seen all 4.

That's where we are as of right now. going back out there Saturday after my exam to work on the floor.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You are the effing man. Just ordered it.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
glad I could help, I have a friend that has a old Rambler, he is using the same type in his, that where I got the idea.

Robert

posted with a magpie and robin.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Are you going to pull the bed when you shoot the paint?

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
glad I could help, I have a friend that has a old Rambler, he is using the same type in his, that where I got the idea.
Does it work good?

Are you going to pull the bed when you shoot the paint?
Probably not for the flat black respray. Once I go to the copper, the body will come off the frame and everything will get painted.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Does it work good?

yea, I think so, but he only plays church radio stations, so I have no idea how it does on classic rock. :headbang:

Robert

posted with a frying pan and the red keyboard from the Tardis.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
whoa... I'll let you know

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
We will start where i stopped for today.

The truck has been primed, and we are working on straightening out any waviness in the panels. Matte Black and Gloss Black are really bad about showing any type of imperfection, so we are taking a little extra time to work the body to be nice and straight.

the passenger side is needing the most work. There were a few low spots in the fender, and the rocker panel has 4 pretty good size dents that will need to be addressed, but overall, it is coming along nicely.

I also decided to clean the 40+ years of seam sealer out of the drip rail. There were only a couple places that rust was starting, but i was sure to grind it all out and it should be ready to go.

Only 1 spot of rust that needed to be repaired was below the drip rail. I welded everything up, so after some handy work with the grinder, it will never be noticed.

I started my day by pulling the carpet out of the way, so we could address the last rust issues in the cab. (The only other rust in the truck is the piece in the bed floor)

Overall, they are not too bad. The inner rockers need to be replaced, but my dad is not one to buy patch panels, so he wants to fabricate his own. I'm ok with that, as it saves me money!

Here are the bad spots

Driver

Passenger

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it's comely along nicely! I too will be taking "that extra time" needed when painting something black. Worth it in the end! Can't wait to see yours done.
Thanks buddy!

Went and worked on the ol gal for a while today. Here is what all we got done. I have now moved to the interior. We were not going to do anything to the interior... Then I found the rust, and now I'm on a mission, so i gutted all the goods, but needed to keep it driveable to move around the shop.

PO glued all the carpet down. not a bad idea i guess, but made for a pain trying to get it up. Going to put down some sound deadener before I put carpet in.

Next up was the dash.

Pulled the old dash pad because it was in pretty bad shape, and decided to pull everything else out as well. The gauges that were below the dash are going away and all the gauges in the cluster will be working as they should be.

Then we started on the ashtray area...

I'm not a smoker, and therefore I never needed an ashtray. I seen on another member's build that he built a custom cupholder where his ashtray was. Well I thought this was the coolest thing on the planet, so I asked him if he could build another.

now the dash had to be modified a bit to get it in, but I absolutely love it. We made a filler panel to go below the cupholder, as it isn't as thick as the ashtray. We did cut out all the brackets from inside the dash that were there for the ashtray and radio.

Here it is opened up. There is a really nice trim piece that goes around it that will be installed after we finish repainting the interior.

I am going back to the black and red theme on the interior mainly because I can't afford to convert everything over. We will be doing a thin coat this time, as the colors are only temporary.

The last thing i did was fill all the mirror holes. There were 7 holes total in the driver door. I only kept the 2 that I would need.

The holes were filled with filler before, I don't know if dad did that or one of the POs did that, but I am not a fan of the filler, so I ground everything out, then welded up all the holes

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I love me some 72's, I have had quite a few. Have to go through my old 35mm pics and magazines and take some digi pics of them. Thats a sweet you you have there man.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals