• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

opinions on smaller tires 4x4

derek54401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury
Engine Size
302 V8
just looking for some input on this one

right now i have 31x10.5's on an 87 4x4 ext cab with a 2" lift. the problem is that they dont have much tread left.

i can get a set of 205/75/15 Goodyear RT/S for free, with about 50% tread left from a guy I know.

i realize that these are small, but with the truck being over 20 years old, I am hesitant to spend $500 for good new tyres.

Yes, for around $100 i can get a decent set of four A/T 30's or 31's, but a free set of tires seems too good an offer to pass up.

i guess what i am asking is, how ridiculous will it look to have a 4x4 pickup with these small-ish tires? any opinions?

for the time being, i will just wait, the dunlop RVXT 31's probably have at least a few thousand left on them. there is always a chance that my friend (who is in the tire business) may come across a set of more reasonably sized tires.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
205/75/15 is too small IMHO. 215/75/15 were stock for these trucks but that was too small as well as far as I'm concerned.

But if money is tight, I completely understand using the free 205/75/15's and wouldn't hesitate to use them. You're just not going offroad very far !!

derek54401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury
Engine Size
302 V8
yeah, i think you're right. thiss small of tire probably wouldn't make it in to the hunting spot. especially with snow on the ground. unless my friend gets some bigger tires in, i will probably spring for the junkyard tires.

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah a 205 75 15 is tiny and noone that i know of makes an all terrain (the rts isnt really an all terrain) that small so you will tear them up if you take them offroad

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
They don't really even look right till at least P235 70 15, and even then they still look pretty small.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Different bodied truck (87vs94) But you can clearly see the size difference.
The fronts are my 31x10.5s and the rears are 205/75r15

BTW, this was at the strip and it improved my 60ft, dropped 3/4 sec off my ET and, gained me 6 MPH

**EDIT** The RT-S is a horrible tire anyways. Keep looking I got my 31" BFG MT spare and my brother's 31" at's for free. There's always a better deal out there.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals