• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Options for 85 t-case

traildevil67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 85 ranger single cab longbed. It has a 302 and c4 trans with an AA adapter to the stock manual t-case. Manual locking hubs. Also has a 3" body lift.

I was out the other night because we had a good snow and i wanted to see if the 4wd would work. (its not road legal yet)

So i locked in the hubs and put it in 4 hi. It would seem to do fine on flat but when i went up hill, something would clunk real hard and the rear would kick out. I let off the gas and get back on it and it would go straight again.

I don't think i have a limited slip, so i think my 4wd keeps popping out. Also when i put it in park or neutral and shift it down into 4low, then put it in reverse or drive. all i get is a nasty grinding sound and nothing happens.

I think its toast.

So what are my options for replacing it, there's not too many older rangers in the junkyards around me.. I've read here 83-85 have a half moon yoke.. is there any other case i can use with a stock driveshaft?

Thanks guys

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Have you tried adjusting the shift lever?

traildevil67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, i wasn't sure if you could adjust it. My truck is about a 30 min drive away so i can't physically look at it, thats my other problem.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
You can swap the yoke with the flange on any 1350/1354.

traildevil67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So i could get the stronger 13-54 t-case and just swap the rear yoke for the one that's on my old t-case?
I'd prefer the stronger one, because of the 5.0 but i don't want to have to get custom drive shafts.
Eventually i'd like to get an explorer 8.8 and d 35 in there, but thats down the road.
I just want to get the truck on the road now.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
If you have the c-4 find a wrecked early bronco and get the adapter and Dana20 t-case out of it. I run one behind my C-6 and 347stroker. It fits real nice(size wise). You may have to fab up some tranny/t-case mounts(I used the EB mount with a little work). The aftermarket parts are plenty and the Atlas is easy to put in if you want to go that route too. You will have to have some D-shaft work done for this though. Mine cost 60 to have the new u-joints welded on and the shafts balanced

Last edited:

traildevil67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well i went and picked up a 86 bII 4x4 case for 50 bux, got it back home then remembered someone asked if i adjusted the shifter. So i got under it and losened the nut and hit the bracket with a hammer a few times, and now my 4x4 works fully. So i guess a have a spare case. But thanks for everyone's help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals