• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overhead console install help needed asap!

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey! need a hand with some stuff.

its in and connected, but i dont have a greay/black wire on my junction box in my 2006, and my temp sensor is telling my OHC its 30F outside, when its about 75F.

Please let me know how i can fix these two issues. ive got no idea where to attach the speed sensor wire to.

Thanks guys!

Nate

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I couldn't find mine there either I tapped into mine were the wire come up from the tranny on top of the drivers side fender well. not sure about the temp reading.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Google it or search here on this site in the Tech section. There is a great article on installing the Exlpoder console in a Ranger that was done back in 2008. I did mine years ago and had no issues. I followed the directions I found on Google and that was about 6 years ago when I did my install.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the instructions on the tech library is where the issue began. it states a black and gray wire in 2004+, which my truck does not have.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
the instructions on the tech library is where the issue began. it states a black and gray wire in 2004+, which my truck does not have.

Do you have a temperature sensor? If not, you need to get one. On the Exlpoders thay are mounted just right behind the radiator bracket. It should be a black wire.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yep i have one, the temp sensors are blue wired.

on 2005+ trucks you gotta run off the cruise module, or if you dont have it, the main connector by the E-Brake.

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
If your speed wire isn't hooked up, it should read correctly the first time you start it up and the truck is cold. For instance, if the truck sat all night and you start it up in the morning and it's 40 degrees out, the console should display that correctly. As you drive and the outside temp changes, the console won't change though. Or if you park it, and then start it again within a few hours of shutting it off, it wont re adjust for the new outside temp. Thats what mine in my bronco ii does (no black wire hooked up) When we put a console in my dads 99 ranger, the thing never showed the right temp and eventually constantly displayed 140 degrees, in the middle of winter. We got a new temp sensor and it's been working great.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
the thing never showed the right temp and eventually constantly displayed 140 degrees, in the middle of winter. We got a new temp sensor and it's been working great.
I am having that issue right now. I thought that might be the issue but was not sure. Thanks for the solution.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Holy old thread batman!

Well I replace my temp sensor. The sensor came out of a 96 Expo. The sensor is a different style. The wires off the back of it are Red and Bl/Wh. I have done some reading and from what I have gathered, I need to disconnect VSS for the temp to read correctly. Currently it is reading 45*F when it is close to 100*F. It is currently raining though which is great.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Holy old thread batman!

Well I replace my temp sensor. The sensor came out of a 96 Expo. The sensor is a different style. The wires off the back of it are Red and Bl/Wh. I have done some reading and from what I have gathered, I need to disconnect VSS for the temp to read correctly. Currently it is reading 45*F when it is close to 100*F. It is currently raining though which is great.
you need the blue wire sensor.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
What yrs was it in so I can hit up pull-a-part?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals