• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overheating

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello i have an 87 b2 it runs kinda hot when im on the trail but does not overheat,as soon as i shut it off it starts to boil over into the puke tank.I removed the thermostat, flushed the rad and checked the waterpump fins. i think i have a blown head gasket but maybe i am overlooking something stupid! Thanks for any help

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put the proper thermostat back in it and fill it with the radiator cap open as the level of coolant drops when it reaches temperature make sure it is full and then put the cap on it. Then run it a while and start looking for a small leak outside the engine or radiator.

Your post is typical of a small outside leak.

Blown heads and headgaskets puke out the radiator while running... Small leaks have ruint lots of heads and engines.

Big Jim

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Overheating

I just went through that hole thing recently did you change the cap there cheap, check the clutch fan for looseness or fluid coming out of the bimetal spring area.When you know it hasn't boiled over is it low ?Always look for puddles.Mine started bubbling into the radiator top the water level to the neck let it idle for A while and see if you see any bubbles, my local parts house had A system to check but it looked expensive.

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help, I cant find any external leaks and i have tried 2 used caps. I am putting a ranger cab on it now and i have the body off so i am just getting ideas before i get to deep into the motor for no reason.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Josh Fill it with coolant and then get it hot to build up pressure.. Then start looking for the leak. Then tomorrow open the cap and see if it is completely full.. Don't use water.. Water evaporates and you prolly won't be able to find the leak.
Big Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals