• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overheating

eric

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

2001 ford ranger 2.3 liter 5 speed. I had t-stat replaced 1 year ago and heat works fine. The coolant resrvoir has a tendency to get hot and antifreeze comes out from underneath cap. Thsi causes me to have to occasionally add to reservoir.

The pat week or so, the guage went high as it appeared engine wa soverheating. When I put heat on it cools down.

I had mechanic flush radiatior and he said got some crap out but t-stat was fine. It overheated again after flush so he did not fix problem.

I was told I need a clutch at some point. Could cluthc issue in anyway cause this? Dumb question but its worth asking.

thanks

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
no a clutch could not cause overheating.

this could be caused by a few things.

the simplest is a bad radiator cap, and the more complex would be a bad water pump impeller or a blown head gasket.

when the engine is hot, use an oven mitt and squeeze the upper radiator hose to see if there is any pressure/flow.

if there is no pressure then i would start with a new radiator cap.

does the fan work when it gets hot? the fact that it will cool down with the heater turned on tells me there might be insufficient airflow across the radiator

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

2001 ford ranger 2.3 liter 5 speed. I had t-stat replaced 1 year ago and heat works fine. The coolant resrvoir has a tendency to get hot and antifreeze comes out from underneath cap. Thsi causes me to have to occasionally add to reservoir.

The pat week or so, the guage went high as it appeared engine wa soverheating. When I put heat on it cools down.

I had mechanic flush radiatior and he said got some crap out but t-stat was fine. It overheated again after flush so he did not fix problem.

I was told I need a clutch at some point. Could cluthc issue in anyway cause this? Dumb question but its worth asking.

thanks

Since the engine cools down by using the heater I have to guess that your radiator has a partial obstruction or the fan clutch is slipping way too much.
Since the tstat has been ruled out, it has to be one of those 2. I have seen several obstructed radiators cause exactly these symptoms with the duratecs. Of course the plastic coolant tank is going to get hot, it's inline, pressurized and part of the system.

Last edited:

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

thanks
properly clean the radiator pressure water and replace your radiator cap or cleaning the heatercore ive whatever other idea

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Who put in the thermostat does it cool down at high speed did he back flush the radiator good how come the coolant is over full that it runs out of the reservor and does the coolant pull back into the radiator when it is cold. If turning the heater on cools the engine the water is flowing thru the system kinna rules out the pump if the engine takes a while to warm up it could be the stat stuck open how fast does the heater get hot it should come up to operating temp fairly quick. If all he did was flush out the system and not check it he dont sound like much of a mechanic. Do you have a fan clutch or an electric fan how hot does the guage read when the fan kicks on. The resevor has a cold and a hot level when it is cold put the level there and see how far it rises when it is hot if you fill it all the way cold it will dump water out the top as it warms up. The cheapest is where I allways start first and getting the coolant level right and a new pressure cap and go from there. If it takes a while to warm up put in a good tstat just because it is only a year old dont mean squat and work your way to the most expensive a head gasket or radiator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals