• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P1445

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It came time to do a smog on my '96 B2300 and a few weeks before I was going to take it in it popped up with a CEL and a P1445 code. "Purge Flow Sensor Circuit High Input"

I've been reading around and checked all the vacuum hoses for leaks, didn't find any. Went to Kragen/autozone to get prices on the replacement hoses/sensor/valve and they didnt know what i was talking about. Called Ford/Mazda and they wanted $200 for the kit.

Finally got someone to find the purge valve at kragen with a part number, bought (~$40) and replaced it (looked exactly the same minus the ford sticker), still have the code.

I'm wondering if the code will clear itself or should i pull a terminal to reset it? I'd like to refrain from resetting the PCM as i need all the readiness checks done for the smog check and I'm kinda tight on time(dont have time to drive it around for a week for the checks to pass, im already on borrowed time with broke ass CA and their just itching to give me a tow). Normally it takes a few days for the code to pop back up after i reset it, presumably after the evap readiness check completes.

I need to know if the Purge valve cleared the code, or if i need to buy the purge flow sensor (found it at a ford dealership for ~$50).

Also, WTF is up with Ford charging $200 for the kit? If you can get the sensor and the valve for less than $100, why are they charging you $100+ for 18" of cut vacuum line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
There is a ford TSB 96-6-8 The reasoning of the ford price is that the purge sensor is calibrated to the flow of the purge valve. You are probably are going to need the sensor.The conditions necessary to activate the Vapor Management Flow system is that the engine must be warm, stable, running at a moderate load and rpm, at open or part throttle position, and in close loop fuel control.
Test the grey wire from the purge flow sensor key on should be approx 4.8 volts and with flow .8 volts.
The evap readiness test is useualy the last one to run so go ahead and reset.
P1445
Purge flow sensor harness signal pin open or broken.
Purge flow sensor harness ground pin open or broken.
Wiring harness chaffed. Broken, bent or pushed out pins on canister purge flow sensor

li7in6

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possible that the sensor is just bad? the trucks going on 205,000 miles now. Visually inspecting the sensor shows no sign of damage, pins are solid/strait, female plug is fine, the loom/harness looks ok.

I cleaned out the PFS and i checked all the vacuum lines for any charcoal deposits or cracks and i also bought a new gas cap as the old one was loose. Still no dice.

Based on my research a 1443 would most likely indicate either a bad purge flow valve, clogged/pinched vacuum lines, or even a bad canister. Whereas a 1445 would indicate either leaking vacuum hoses or a bad PFS assuming the wiring and PCM are electrically sound. 1443 seems to be the more common code, people usually just replace the whole valve/sensor/line assembly to remedy either code. the 1445 seems to be the more problematic one, sticking around even after everything has been replaced.

I'll reset the PCM tomorrow before work and head to the ford dealership after. hopefully I'll get the CEL again before i install the PFS to tell me the valve wasn't the problem, so I can take that back and save me $40 :p

Is it absolutely necessary for the PFS and the valve to be calibrated to each other? If not, whats the purpose?

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
It came time to do a smog on my '96 B2300 and a few weeks before I was going to take it in it popped up with a CEL and a P1445 code. "Purge Flow Sensor Circuit High Input"
As you posted purge flow CIRCUIT high input.... A P1445 is basically an electrical fault code.The PCM (pin 11 black/ light green) see's a voltage of higher than 5 volts it sets code P1445. This means that the sensor IS getting voltage on the red wire So that is OK. The sensor could be internally shorted OR open circuit depending the location within the sensor. Then you have to make sure the Black/White wire is a good ground, if there is an open in the ground the voltage on pin 11 would also be high. You could just splice in a wire at the sensor and connect it to ground.

P1443 is more of a mechanical malfunction code.

Ford must think they need to be calibrated to get ideal flow reading. IMO it's probably tolerance build up between the valve flow and the sensor reading. It should be ok to use separate parts just keep the length and size of the hose between them the correct.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals