• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pedal-Throttle Enhance questions - 2022 Ranger XLT Crew 4x4 2.3L Eco

SpifNup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
In my limited driving thus far (new 2022 Ranger XLT Crew 5ft 4x4 2.3L Eco):

o Gas pedal interaction with Throttle very awkward at moderate speed.
o Noticed, then read about, throttle delay when pressing pedal.
o Some traffic conditions can be tight--available passing distance can be short.
o Scary not being able to count on 'instant' response when desired.
o Apparently drive by wire 'mapping' (Pedal to Throttle interaction) can be greatly improved.

o When parking in garage (limited space), pedal/throttle handling seems very touchy.
--Meaning difficult to cautiously tap & gently nose truck close to minimize space in front.
--Maybe not a throttle delay issue--perhaps stems from 'tight' gas pedal (feeling) and sense that vehicle might lurch suddenly (or too far forward), rather than nose in gently.
o Proximity alarm & display helps estimate closing distance to lawn mower stored in front of vehicle.
o Yet the 'feel' is not comfortable to me.

From what I've read, think I'd like some sort of Pedal or Throttle Enhancer:

1) To remove as much Throttle Delay as reasonably possible (I'm not looking for a loud, guzzling takeoff, showing off vehicle power).
2) While avoiding souping up Gas Pedal too much ... such that a mere touch causes a performance boost or jump in vehicle movement.

NOTE--I do not want Performance Boost or Raging takeoffs from stops for cool sound or cool acceleration.
o Instead I wish the feeling of Full Control (i.e. throttle action quick when passing, to allow passing, then timely tucking into possibly limited space between vehicles or before upcoming no-passing lane or before slow vehicle or blind curve ahead).
o I wish the feeling of being able to park carefully (easily, in full control), always able to nose up carefully & closely to something just in front of front bumper.

Q1 - Any Pedal or Throttle Enhancers you have used (and recommend)?
Q2 - Any enhancers where you can easily tune both aspects (passing quickly & timely; parking easily and safely, close to stored objects in front of vehicle front bumper?

From reading about Pedal or Throttle Enhancers, not sure if both aspects can easily be adjusted SIMULTANEOUSLY.

ECO modes (minimizing gas consumption) are attractive, but not at cost of being able to use pedal to virtually, instantly move when danger or passing requires.

Q3 - Do any Pedal or Throttle Enhancers allow easy (custom) mapping of Pedal / Throttle interaction?

Q4 - Do I need to, or is it valuable to look to a Performance Tuner (rather than a Pedal or Throttle enhancer) to achieve my goals (indicated above)?

Q5 - Can I program my own Custom Pedal/Throttle curves by myself (safely, until acceptable performance is achieved)?

Guessing I first need to achieve IMMEDIACY feel (when gas pedal pressed).
Guessing I need to tone down any large jump after pedal press when trying to carefully park behind any wall or object near front bumper.

Perhaps vehicle speed could be sensed somehow, to provide INSTANT THROTTLE ACTION when at highway speeds.
Perhaps vehicle speed could be sensed somehow, to minimize any BOOST via throttle when crawling carefully into parking spot.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Okay to point me to another link where more details are properly discussed.

I understand some of the Drive By Wire issues (may be more to learn).
I'm good with Software and Mapping curves (physics/math) concepts (say, HP vs RPMs), but not sure what Pedal or Throttle Enhancers can do.
Product Descriptions don't furnish as many details as I'd like to know.

Not sure if Performance Tuners (all of them, generally speaking) cure the IMMEDIACY concern, while SIMULTANEOUSLY curing the more delicate CONTROL required during parking in tight spots (garage or curb, etc) when ability to nose in a few inches at a time (without surprises) is necessary.

In a separate thread posting, I will ask about BRAKE PEDAL feel (DEPTH of PEDAL PRESS, and SIMULTANEOUS TIMELINESS and AMOUNT of slowing/halting).
Have comparable concerns there as well.

Admittedly, there may be vehicle SETTINGS that could or need to be TURNED OFF (or TURNED ON) that affect my sense of CONTROL under varied scenarios. I'm not yet fully read up on the Operator Manual details.

But I have cycled the display through many SETTINGS just to get a feel for what FEATURES may be SET, UNSET or perhaps DISABLED, or ADJUSTED.

All TIPS welcome. Thanks much in advance!

--Spiffy

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Have you tried Sport Mode? It might increase throttle response. Being that the new Ranger is drive by wire, outside of the Sport Mode, a chip or using a programmer like maybe Forescan to dig into the parameters might be the only options.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I test drove a 2019 FX4 and experienced a lot of the same things you did.

I think drive by wire is part of the issue as are the turbos - it just seemed kinda doggy until they get spun up, then it's got plenty of power... it was annoying for passing people on the highway in particular. I wanted instant throttle response and didn't get it.

Interested to see if a tune or different driving mode would help. My 2018 Ram at work is obviously drive by wire too and it's by far the best I've driven. Chrysler did a great job with that particular aspect of the truck.

SpifNup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Have you tried Sport Mode? It might increase throttle response.
Thanks, sgtsandman.

Had seen 'S' on shift select but wasn't sure what it was for.
Reading up on it now (watched a Ford youtube vid first), then will try it out.

--Spiff

SpifNup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Thx, Shran.

If detailed pedal/throttle mapping is at all possible (seems so: Ford has apparently done it for Default and maybe Sport settings), then 3rd party accessories should be able to safely custom_map such interaction until owner/driver is happy.

Many pedal/throttle enhancer devices claim they can improve the mapping. I believe they can.

I'd like to be able to map the pedal/throttle interplay to remove lag (reasonably), and allow gentle pedal movements to cause gentle vehicle motion at slow speeds (for parking purposes). May need to make some tradeoffs.

Getting 'used to' a particular pedal/throttle mapping (whether Default, Purchased commercial feature, or Personally Customized) will be required no matter what. Have to drive a bit and learn to utilize it, no matter the attempted settings.

Will report back on my progress--whether simply trying Sport mode, installing a pedal/throttle enhancer device, or going with more featured Performance tuner that also handles pedal/throttle enhancement.

Don't want to waste bucks on a decent pedal/throttle enhancer (although it may do the job for me), then change opinion afterward to wanting a more featured Performance tuner that also includes a decent pedal/throttle enhancer feature.

--Spiff

SpifNup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
If a full Performance Tuner provides a separate, additionally valuable feature--like adjusting shift points and making shifting much smoother for my own relatively sedate travel habits--as well as a decent Pedal/Throttle mapping function, then I'd likely skip the Pedal/Throttle Enhancer and look for a good, full Performance Tuner that does both.

I often feel & hear sometimes wonky, sometimes klunky transmission shifting (10-spd transmission for 2.3L ECO) as I test drive my new vehicle more and more.

Thus I can see how tuning the shifting parameters might make me much happier. It might 1) Improve highway passing maneuvers; and 2) Improve parking somehow (in lowest gears, at lowest speeds, I presume). Hi-Torque shifts vs. Lo-Torque shifts, IMO.

If I easily could switch tune settings (tune choices) just before parking in tight quarters, it wouldn't bother me. Prefer safe passing (on highway) and safe parking (at gentle slow speeds).

If those differing scenarios require two separate sets of shift parameters, then quickly changing Tunes to alter shifting aspects would be very acceptable.

On the other hand, if changing Tunes took 10 to 40 minutes to swap, there would be no benefit between Passing & Parking scenarios. Would never wait that long in driveway ... just to park every night!

--Spiff

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals