• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picked up a cherry 89 BII XLT 2wd

85crownHPP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is my 1st truck but my 4th Ford...
Got this off a customer at work who didnt feel like putting a radiator in it and dealing with the other small problems, so he offerent to trade it to me for a set or tires for his daughters nissan sentra.
Yoink!
No rust... the paint will shine up nice... so nice Im thinking of keeping it instead of doing the old fin n flip like planned...

I have plenty of noob questions like do the valve cover gaskets really take 3 hours to change??? (2.9) and Im getting a little low speed/low rpm growling out of the drivtrain somewhere... anything common regarding that??
I'll have more questions in the proper place to come...

My two crown victorias have been fun to tinker with... upgrading them with OEM goodies like police suspention parts, lincoln towncar things, and various electronic mojo...

the 85
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/764698

the 91
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2563336

Pete

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice, Not many 2WD Bll"s out there.
Fix it and keep it.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
usually i hate red interior, but that looks pretty cool!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
That can be converted into a very capable 4x4 for very little money. It is all a direct bolt in swap too..

Something to think about.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That can be converted into a very capable 4x4 for very little money. It is all a direct bolt in swap too..

Something to think about.
so 2wd rangers are not bolt on swappable to 4wd, but b2's are?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
so 2wd rangers are not bolt on swappable to 4wd, but b2's are?

Correct. A 2WD bronco II all you need is the transfer case, front driveshaft, and complete axle beams to make it work.

It will bolt right in, now Rangers front crossmembers are not compatable like the B2.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome aboard. Keep it; the gods have smiled upon you.

If you haven't put that radiator in yet, look at the early Explorer radiator. Went that route on my '90 B2; about the same cost, it's practically a bolt-in, and much better cooling capacity.

Nice Vics, too.

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's nice to see a familiar face mang. You know me as Packman from grandmarq.net. I can't wait to see what you got planned for that Bronco II. I have the same low speed growl from my Ranger as well.

XLTbeater

85crownHPP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
small world!

thanks for the compliments... I wish i had known about the explorer radiator earlier... Im all about an OEM upgrade. The one for the truck was already ordered, looking at me saying "install meeee" while the BII said "save meeee"... it would have either been donated to charity and most likely sold at auction and scrapped, or wound up in the hands of my co-worker who would have pulled the motor for his own bidding and scrapped the shell... he actually feels I took it out from under him and got pissed as hell... evidently his laughing and walking out at the guys asking price and comment "I just got one for free a week ago.." really meant he was just trying to lowball the guy... I even offered the truck to him after for the tire deal, but no he wants to stay mad at me...
anywho... the steamy oil fumes almost killed me while flushing the coolant, so the valve cover gaskets will be next, then shocks and road time.

A 4x4 swap sounds fun but I have a big brake swap and semi HO swap the 85 is waiting patiently for...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ah! Don't sweat it; she'll like a direct replacement radiator just as good, and it's a done deal anyway. I think it's just great that you ended up with with this poor 'lil homeless BII. And, I think that you'll have a ton of fun just driving it. Those are nice Cee-Vickeys that you have, honest to goodness, but I think you'll get a nut on how nimble that BII is after being used to the serious cruisin' iron. The BII's got what, about half the wheel base? Even though it's 2WD, you'll enjoy it!

85crownHPP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
by nimble you mean on non-road surfaces yes???
Ive been wanting to drive it around the backyard :D though Ive seen 2wd explorers get stuck on wet grass so Ive been hesitant. As far as I can tell its got an open 3.73 rear...

85crownHPP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
been driving her more lately, she is quite nimble. Im loving the turning radius too.
Just took her on a 6 hour trip - got 22mpg doing 70 most of the way.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
one of my personal qualms with the bII's are the size of the stock tires...same as the fullsize bronco's....the stock tires are just to small for the truck, upgrade to some bigger rubber and itll handle ALOT better aswell, dont have to lift it just wider then OEM for the sake of safety and looks

Rangerlvl2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow nice trade, and looks to be in good over all shape.

85crownHPP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks! it been a pleasure both the drive and to work on... and yes the tires are much to skinny... once I find the wheels I want for the 85 crown vic, the 16x7 black steelies will go on this with some 235/65/16 treads :icon_thumby: they are currently 205/75/15 :fie:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals