• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Planning a swap, looking for gotcha's...

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Planning to swap my 1990 Ranger 2.3 and manual trans 4x4 out for a 1994 Explorer 4.0 auto 4x4. This truck has had a lot done already, we swapped a 88 cab because the original was rusted badly and we got the 88 really cheap. Swapping the 90 dash assembly wasn't easy, but the rest of the body and engine harnesses went in without much trouble. The 2.3 stuff will be kept for a possible B2 project.

At present, the plan is to remove the 2.3 drivetrain and wiring harness completely, as well as the 90 dash and steering column. Then swap in the 4.0 and harness, dash and steering column. It would be nice to have the A/C system, cruise and all accessories from the Explorer working in the Ranger.

The truck has a 6" lift, extended radius arms and 33s. So the current short term plan is to keep the D35 with 4.10s, and the 7.5 until funds make a 4.10 swap into the 8.8 feasible. Though, I do have a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10s already... The Ex has 3.73s but the 4.10s ought to be better with the 33s

As much as I like to think I have a handle on things, I do have some questions. Fuel line fittings from the 90 Ranger and the 94 Explorer, I don't have both trucks to look at right now, just the Ranger. Am I going to have to modify them?

Also, will the 2.3 fuel pump support the 4.0?

Next. Motor mounts. Will the frame side mounts from the Explorer bolt into the Ranger frame? I made some overkill mounts for the 2.3 that I could re-use, but off the shelf stuff is just fine. Fresh new mounts will go between the engine and frame mounts.

Drive shafts. Am I going to need to modify either the Ranger or Explorer shafts, since I'm using an auto in a manual truck? Thinking the front from the Ex will work if there is a length diffence between the 5 speed and auto.

Body harness. I realize the rear brake/turnsignal/backup lights leave the body harness in different places. A there other wiring issues that I should be prepared for?

Brake booster and master cylinder. Is there a good reason to use the Ex booster and cylinder over the Ranger parts?

I'm not concerned with power locks, mirrors, windows or seats for the short term. I can swap doors and seats in later. I will be re-using the heavy duty relay harness I built for aftermarket offroad lights. But might have to relocate the relays.

We will have about 2 weeks to get the complete swap done, but won't have the Explorer in the drive for another week. I have had the motor out twice over the years, and the last time I put it in, I swore the next time would be a different motor. Time is now. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, looks like the fuel pump will support the 4.0. And hoping the frame side motor mounts line up, but can drill new holes in the crossmember as needed. Figuring out the body harness issues so I can cut as little as needed from the Explorer harness. I do have questions regarding the transfer case harness' between the Ex and Ranger.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any issues with the transfer case wiring between the Ranger and the Explorer? And planning to dig into wiring for the rear end of the Ranger, maybe pull the rear harness into the back of the cab to splice into the Explorer harness? Just wondering if anyone has done this that way.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger is stripped almost everything. First look at the wiring for the Explorer and I sort of freaked. But got over it by this morning. I will start tonight shortening the harness for the tcase controller, and going through the speaker/amp harness to shorten as well. Fuel pump seems be under both trucks so that won't be difficult, and the taillight harness from the Ranger will likely be brought into the back of the cab to splice into the Ex harness. The Ex has factory tow package, so I need to make sure the relays for that stay in the cab.

Hitting the junkyard tomorrow for several things related to the swap. One gotcha we have is the AC airbox might interfere with F250 shock towers we installed in the original build... Now where did I put my meter?

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK, the AC airbox DOES interfere, but we might be able to alter the box to still fit. Later. The compressor and all will still go in the truck for that later date and time.

Wiring, I had my head up my butt reading the diagrams. Wasted 2 days before getting with the program. I'm using remnants from the Explorer interior harness to get the taillights, turn signals, brake lights and backup lights out to the rear of the truck, using the existing Ranger harness in the frame, the rear door connectors are the same as that connector, I have to re-pin one side and will document for our records the work. We will use the existing hole from the removed clutch to get that harness out of the cab. That hole will also be used for auxillary lighting and the CB antenna.

I am guessing the speaker wiring goes two directions in the Explorer interior harness to allow the speakers to come off the head unit, through the interior harness and to the doors, as well as enter the interior harness from the amplifier if so equipped. Useful and something to cut, label and tape off for the future if needed.

ABS wiring will be left in place. The Ranger master cylinder and the Explorer look exactly the same. So simply removing the light from the gauge cluster will suffice. We can add it in if we really ever think we need it.

A VERY interesting find. When we swapped a 1988 cab in place of our 1990 badly rusted cab, we had to relocate quite a few things underhood, but used the 1990 harness. So moving harness' isn't that tough. What WAS interesting, as we carefully unclipped the Ex harness, a very large number of those clips are in the proper place already on the 1988 Ranger cab. So, on first glance, this ought to look pretty "factory".

Of interest to others doing this or similar swaps, the 4.0 motor mounts already had the proper holes in the frame crossmember, we simply unbolted the 2.3 mounts I fabricated, and dropped new 4.0 mounts in place. Measurements show them to be in the same alignment as on the Explorer.

The front driveshafts between the two trucks are functionally the same length and identical. Easy. The Explorer has a longer wheelbase, and has a longer rear driveshaft than the Ranger. We might swap that in after getting it shortened, as the slip yoke isn't as worn as that of the Ranger's.

We haven't even started on swapping the 3.73 geared D35 in yet. That will be another weekends project AFTER we have the truck running. More to do, but the underhood harness is in, the transmission and transfer case is in. We expect to have the engine in and many other little loose ends tied up tonight. I have to finish the chopping of the Explorer interior harness so it will fit behind the dash. This should be soldered and all connections heat shrinked (shrunk?) tonight before I call it a night. The plan is to have power windows, mirrors and locks available if we ever swap different doors onto the truck.

All the 2.3 stuff we removed, I originally had planned to build a B2 cruiser. Now, my son is suggesting I ought to build a buggy. I have Jeep D30 front axles (3.07 and 3.55 geaars, but a 4.10 carrier and gears in a box...), a Grand Cherokee D44 (aluminum plumkin) with 3.73s, and Chrysler 8.25 (29 spline) with 4.10s. So, I need a chassis and a frame I think. I might be better off with the B2... I need to finish this project first though.

Last edited:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The engine went in last night, and is now bolted to the transmission. We would have had the engine in Tuesday, except, we hadn't changed the rear main seal, and we noticed the oil pan gasket was weeping. So, off to the parts store, not in stock. OK, came in the next day, and... Not the right part. It seems, there was a changeover in 94 with oilpans, and we have an older one... So, back to the store, ordered the correct one and it came in Thursday. As I was installing the rear main seal yesterday, I damaged it. One left in Tooele... So I didn't screw it up putting in the second one. When I removed the one I munged up, it MIGHT have sealed fine, but why chance it???

Wiring. Ripped the taillight wires from the Ranger frame harness, and adding to the split loom harness for the Explorer. We decided to use the Explorer harness down the frame, since it will connect to the rear axle ABS (which may or not be used), the speed sensor connects properly, and the fuel pump will be connected properly.

Which, brings up another subject... Fuel. I didn't feel like cutting the fuel pump harness to adapt the Ranger pump to the Explorer harness. Both tanks are similar in depth, but have different connections at the pump. And I'm not sure the fuel gauges would work right with the Ranger fuel sender. Well, both pumps are all but identical as far as fit goes, and how they sit in the tanks. Mounting flanges are the same even. So, we're using the Explorer pump unit. One less hassle, but since I'm splitting the wiring harness open anyway, I need to pull the fuel pump harness back nearly three feet to match up with the Ranger.

We hope to be able to apply power later today, but more likely tomorrow... And maybe start it tomorrow. We aren't going to make it able to be driven to work Monday, but it ought to run tomorrow.

Pics of stuff and the finished wiring changes later.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No power applied tonight. A little struggling along the way, we're getting a little tired and "punchy".

OK, pics...

I took an Explorer rear door connector apart to re-pin it so it would match the lighting harness to the rear of the truck...

Isn't it a good thing when you can finally put the engine in?

Explorer pump on the left, Ranger pump on the right. Ex pump fits just fine in the Ranger tank...

Ranger harness on the left, for the fuel pump, taillights, RABS stuff and rear axle sensor. Explorer harness on the right includes fuel pump, speed sensor, rear axle sensor and a "blackbox...

Ranger harness remains on the left, taillight harness removed nearly intact from the Ranger harness and shoved into the Explorer harness. I also pulled the fuel pump harness back a bit, but its really long and needs to be tied up.

My son has been really hands on with this. He really gets into his work!

But here is the reward, the engine in, bolted down, connected to the transmission, a good chunk of the wiring harness connected.

Yeah, I'm slow, but the soldering is done, and I have just to wrap the harness and get it into the dash.

Monster (my son) got a bunch of details cleaned up, but we still have a few underhood details to wrap up. Hoses and clamps to make sure are tightened, vacuum lines to connect. We still have the interior to do, and to alter the seat mounts a bit. We wanted to be at a point of being able to run lights and stereo off the battery tonight, but really, my back is limiting me. Really slows me down more than I like.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good job! I like the info you're putting into this thread. Keep it up,

Richard

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm beginning to think the interior harness was a waste of time. Ranger doors with power locks and windows have wiring routed much differently. I might have just made a fancy speaker harness if power optioned doors are never added. When this is complete I'll make a list of the odd things I came across along the way. If for no ther reason than to keep it clear in my own head.

Thanks! Wasn't sure anyone was reading. But if I do this again, I wii start with a Ranger for the donor.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, today was a blast. We got everything connected, dash installed, my wiring changes double checked, put oil in the motor, fluid in the trans, filled the power steering fluid and then did a full check of everything again. We don't have the radiator in so no coolant, we will be installing the modified airbox for the AC next week, so we can fill everything afterwards. But, back to the story... After verifying yet again that all electrical connections were complete, we threw a battery in and checked for lights. Yup, my adapter for the taillights harness works peachy.

Turned the key to run and checked for heater fan, wipers and washer and checked turn signals... All other electrical works like factory. Except, we don't have a stereo in the truck yet.

OK. So, we turned the truck on and off a few times to prime the fuel system as best we could. And, turned the key to start. Cranked a second or two, caught and started, almost like nothing had happened. No coolant, or exhaust system, so we shut it off. And celebrated...:yahoo::headbang::beer:

Next weekend, we swap front and rear axles... During this week, I'll button up the front end. Obviously, starting with a good running donor pays off.

Other projects to wrap up, exhaust will include a Flowmaster muffler. Install the amp and stereo, as well as the rest of the interior. Replace the Ujoints in both driveshafts, front and rear axles swapped, Explorer leaf springs and Belltech shackles to add as well. But those are for another thread, the important stuff, things altered and such, all work, and the truck runs.

jburns6177

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for posting. This is exactly something I have been seriously thinking about doing and oddly enough, my recipient is a 1990 2.9 4x4 Ranger also. Yeah. we're reading every thing you post. Thanks again

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If we had used a 1990 Ranger 4.0 instead of the Explorer, things would have been super simple. But using everything from the Explorer did present a couple problems. But nothing that couldn't be worked through. Having the complete Explorer as a donor made it simple.

I've driven it a little, still need to get the driveshaft and rear axle swapped. We also can't figure out why the transfer case doesn't shift. But thats an issue for a later day. More pressing, is it hesitates if you floor the gas pedal, but then comes on likemgang busters. But is just fine if you press the pedal easily.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, we have three gotchas. I don't have answers for these yet.

1. You can accelerate it slowly. But if you floor it, it stumbles before taking off. I'm at a loss on this and we need this truck drivable in the next few weeks.

2. Minor but annoying, the fuel gauge doesn't register under power, but shows half tank when shut off.

3. Again minor, but could be an issue, the 4x4 just won't come on.

These weren't issues when we started the stripping of the Explorer.

We've done a bunch of work these last weeks though. We added a 4000lb receiver hitch, the Explorer springs and 8.8 with new U bolts, shackles and shock mounts. We removed the 5" lift block and are using just a 2" block now. Truck sits less than 1/2" lower than at the start. And, we had the Explorer rear driveshaft shortened.

The pic shows no block, but I don't have one with... Shock tabs and U bolts were from Dan at RuffStuff, the spring perches and plates were from a local shop, Midnight4x4 in Salt Lake City. JC is an awesome dude to deal with. So is Dan!

The hitch was a freebie from a friend that actually removed it from a Suburban. Previous owner of that 'Burb was using spacers and washers to make it fit. Funny thing, it is a perfect fit for the Ranger...

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
YEA!!! The truck passed Safety Inspection today. So we tidied up a few things, fixed a couple things I didn't like that I'd done earlier. Made sure again, that wiring was secured. Then we tossed the bed liner back in and bolted in the FREEBIE Delta bed box...

Monster needs to get new brackets to hold the tailgate closed. And get his Hi-Lift jack mounted. The truck box was free, and I need to fab a new latch tab in the lid. And replace the lock. And fab a spare tire hold down...

Yes, the 235s look small under the front... That will change when the Monster has more money. Till then, the 235s will do. Next week, we will add the light bar back to the bumper. And hopefully not much more.

Originally, I was going to drive it about town for the next week. But, Monster decided to push the envelope, and its out of town for the week. First time out of town in 6 years. In a few weeks, the truck will be headed for Cedar City. So I reckon this week will be a good trial by fire in city traffic. NICE to get it out of my driveway. He made it into SLC easily enough, so likely the week will go just fine.

I need to get the Ex scrapped. I realize if I get it picked up I won't get squat for it. Any thoughts on the best place to take it in SLC for the biggest check? I have the title!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I found a gottcha.

It is very hard to mount a 2.3 into a B2 because of the engine mounts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals