• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Plastic Gas Tank Hole Fix.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Hey all, I figured I would post this here because I had difficulty finding much information about it online.

I, living in the shizz hole that is Spokane, am dealing with a vast amount of homeless people on a daily; it hasn't mattered much until last week when I had someone drill a hole in the bottom corner of my gas tank to steal my gas.
Understandably, I was upset, but I was mostly upset about how hard it was to find support for fixing plastic tanks when there were plenty of discussions about fixing metal tanks. After some research, I found a few options, one of which I successfully used one of them to plug the hole in my tank.
image1.jpeg

1.) I bought a variety pack of neoprene rubber expansion plugs on Amazon, the smallest of which (3/4 inch) was just small enough to hammer right into the hole. I tightened it as I tightened other expansion plugs (until you can't anymore); needless to say, I broke the rubber seal. Luckily, the kit came with one more of the same size, so I hammered that one in and hand-tightened it almost as tight as my fingers could get it, ensuring it was snug and had minimal movement. I then used the plastic JB weld and smothered it all over the top of the metal bolted area and the immediate area around the bolt on the gas tank. That has been working for me for the past few days, and I don't see that changing until the rubber eventually gives out from the gasoline exposure. Hopefully, because it's neoprene, it will last a while.
image2.jpeg
image0(2).jpeg

2.) The second thing I considered, which seemed to have some online support, was a pipe plug/bolt. This is my backup, which seems like it will be longer-lasting but will require a little more work than just hammering in an expansion plug. This would involve going to your local hardware store and finding a bolt or threaded pipe end fitting that is generally the right size (probably a little bigger). Then threading the hole in your tank probably means making it bigger, so consider that when buying the bolt. You can purchase gas-resistant Teflon, thread it on your bolt, then screw the bolt almost in, then, douse the last few threads with Seals All, then tighten the bolt. I would probably opt to cover the outside with more Seals All or JB weld just as an added layer of protection.

3.) This last method is the one that the old guys favored quite a bit, probably because of the simplicity-to-effectiveness ratio. This involves Seals All and Cheesecloth. First, you clean around the hole, scuff it with high grit sandpaper, then cut small squares of cheesecloth (obviously, big enough to cover the hole). Thoroughly soak them in Seals All; with the first one, you want to stuff the hole, making sure to get plenty of Seals ALL in the hole; put a second one on over the top of it, covering the hole, touching plenty of the surface, area of the freshly sanded surface of the tank. Let them harden; then you can keep putting more and more layers on, but make sure each layer completely covers the one before AND has surface contact with the gas tank, so the patch will progressively get larger and larger as you put more layers on. This, the old guys claimed, has lasted them years and years.

4.) The obvious last option is to replace the tank. Rangers tanks are pretty simple to drop. And they are relatively cheap (around $100 - $200) for a good-conditioned one from eBay.

A factor to consider when choosing which option to use is "To what extent is your fuel tank pressurized?" Mine (00 Ranger) seems to have minimal pressurization, but the fix I used should seal it airtight, easily withstanding the pressure due to the nature of the expansion plug clamping down on the hole.

I'm probably wrong about some of this, and I would like to hear from the more experienced folk about their solutions. This is just what I saw online after EXTENSIVE searching. There wasn't a lot out there for plastic tanks like mine.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Back when I bought my ‘94 it had a hole in the tank, not sure if gas was stolen from it as it was a very small hole, there was a 1/4” bolt with a washer in the bottom of the tank. The back strap was broken too and a ratchet strap was used to hold the tank in place. I still have that tank somewhere, I swapped it out for a bigger (20 gallon) tank I had from another truck. I suppose thats one good thing about lowered trucks, you would be a lot less likely to have that happen.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There is a way to plastic weld the tank as well. It basically is a heating iron with a hole through the middle, kind of like a glue gun. I've seen videos of it being done on plastic water tanks. It would probably work on a fuel tank as well.

It might be better to do the work with the tank dropped and upside down but what I've seen of it, the melting process seems thick enough to do work over head.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
dude, i would be so mad if i came out and someone drilled a hole in my gas tank. i would immediately go to the camera and see who it is and then go to each homeless camp (if it was a homeless person) until i found them. i would stomp their ass, god dang i would be so mad. i am mad reading this.

i already have had to grab some homeless people that cut through my yard instead of walking to the end of the street. they think because i don't have a fence that they can walk through by my house and garage. i don't even live at the end of the street, i am in the middle!!! as soon as i see them, i go running out and grab them and shake them up. i have no trespassing signs all over and i make sure they know to not come through again or i will use a bat on them.

i hate people who think they can just do whatever.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The rubber on that expansion plug will degrade and particles will end up getting drawn into your fuel system, I'd consider it a temporary fix and get a new tank as soon as you can. Then I'd add to the skid plate to defeat the next gas thief. I hope the dirt bag got a gas shower when he drilled your tank.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
The rubber on that expansion plug will degrade and particles will end up getting drawn into your fuel system, I'd consider it a temporary fix and get a new tank as soon as you can. Then I'd add to the skid plate to defeat the next gas thief. I hope the dirt bag got a gas shower when he drilled your tank.
That's the basic plan as of right now; I just don't have the time or money to put a new one in, i figured the rubber would get worn out at some point.
as for a skid plate, I have the OE skid plat on the bottom of it. If you look at the pic with the hole, the skid plate is on the bottom, and the hole is on the side.
I've been thinking about adding something to that side to keep people from doing this again in the future, but right now, I just don't have the time to put a lot of research in.
as far as a gas shower, based on the HUGE puddle of gas under my truck after it happened, my guess is they took a max of 5 gallons and let the other 10 gallons I had in the tank at the time spill out.... which sucks.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have a locking gas cap? I just can't see how using a syphon through the filler wouldn't have been quicker and easier than drilling a hole that size through the tank.

Either way, buch of jackasses out there. Not sure what I'd have done if I went out and found that. Almost making me think that behind the seat is the right place for my F-100 tank afterall. They could easily syphon it, but would be difficuly to drill.

I don't think I'll have to worry about homeless people in my area, I don't think that the home owners around here would tolerate it for long. There's not enough here to attract them anyway.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
That theft is absolute crap!! In Public Town square, make them drink the equivalent amount of fuel stolen, they must first pay for the stolen fuel and their beverage...premium only.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Do you have a locking gas cap? I just can't see how using a syphon through the filler wouldn't have been quicker and easier than drilling a hole that size through the tank.

Either way, buch of jackasses out there. Not sure what I'd have done if I went out and found that. Almost making me think that behind the seat is the right place for my F-100 tank afterall. They could easily syphon it, but would be difficuly to drill.

I don't think I'll have to worry about homeless people in my area, I don't think that the home owners around here would tolerate it for long. There's not enough here to attract them anyway.
Yeah, IDK why there are so many homeless here. I've heard that the local city gov. gives a lot of handouts, but idk. I'm not from Washington and am not planning on staying after I graduate from school.

The part about a locking gas filler actually made me the most upset. My tank doesn't have a locking mechanism, so siphoning would have been easy. Instead, they decided it was best to F me over too.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Probably because they had a drill and not a hose. 5 gallons because that's the biggest jug. Even the shortest 5 gallon jug is pretty tall tho. Kinda surprised they were able to get it under the truck.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Probably because they had a drill and not a hose. 5 gallons because that's the biggest jug. Even the shortest 5 gallon jug is pretty tall tho. Kinda surprised they were able to get it under the truck.
Well, normally, yes, but I lifted the truck at least 3 inches.
so I have a significant amount of clearance under there...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
And they make 2.5 gallon paint buckets, that are a nice size for that kind of stuff, unfortunately

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals