• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help electrical problem

austin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1985 ford ranger 2.8l. i have rear brake lights, turn signals and reverse light but i have no rear running lights??? its not a bulb issue or a fuse. i replaced a corroded connector back by the bumper but it didnt fix the running ligt issue. any info??

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
So, you put known good bulbs in the tail lights to check, correct? There has to be a loose ground wire somewhere, Bro, or something is correded in the tail light area.

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1985 ford ranger 2.8l. i have rear brake lights, turn signals and reverse light but i have no rear running lights??? its not a bulb issue or a fuse. i replaced a corroded connector back by the bumper but it didnt fix the running ligt issue. any info??
Are you sure you have a double filament bulb back there?

austin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
yes the bulbs are good, and i did switch the bulbs with known good bulbs and the problem still occured. the main big connector back by the bumper where 6 wires connect to four in the other connector were open and corroded so i replaced all of those and it didnt fix anything...

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't found a good detailed wiring diagram but here are some things to check:
Do the license plate light(s) light?
Do the tail lights work with either parking or headlights on?
Do the front parking lights work?
The wire color for tail lights is brown. Have you checked it for +12v at the tail light socket? At the fuse box? At the light switch?

austin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i do have license plate lights, if i didnt have 12v at the tailight socket then i wouldnt have turn signals or brake lights correct. could the turn signal switch be something to test?

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
+12v is supplied to the brake lights from the switch on the brake pedal (master cylinder).
+12v is supplied to the turn signals from the turn signal blinker to either the left or right brake light
+12v is supplied to both turn signals from the emergency flasher blinker
+12v is supplied to both running tail lights and the license plate light(s) from the light switch (parking light or headlight positions)

So... if you have license plate light(s) that are turning on with the light switch, then the break is between the license plate light(s) and the tail lights. That should narrow the problem down a lot. It should be a brown wire that supplies +12v to the license plate light(s) and on to the tail lights (according to Autozone's schematic). I would open up the license plate light fixture(s) and check for the break inside it, if you have +12v going into the fixture, but don't have +12v going into the tail lamp fixture.

If you do happen to have 2 license plate lights and 1 works and 1 doesn't, the break could be at either fixture.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I can probably look up the diagrams on my alldata but i need all the relavant info along with email lol.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
pmed of course!

austin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
okay ill check there, i know the license plate lights are both working, but once i get off work ill follow that brown wire and hopefully find a problem. thanks for all the help

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
So Austin.... Did you get the tail lights on? If so, what was the problem?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals