• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

please help me

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
please help im soo sick of these constant problems.
so today after driving i shut my truck off and turned it back on (it was raining outside if that makes a diffrence).when i went to starrt it cranked really slowly then wouldnt crank anymore like that battery was dead..when i try to start it it clicks once and then nothing.doesnt turn nothing.replaced the starter solenoid in the fender that did nothing. took the starter off the block and held it in my hand under the truck while my buddyy turn the key the starter does not click or anything.so therefore im assuming the starter isnt getting any power..i figure out that the loud clic k is coming from the staerter solenoid on the fender but i replaced that and no diffrence.please help guy i need to go to my new job tomorrow and im stuck with no truck..i cant not go to work on my first day..please help guys
thanks
o and the battery is reading 12.14 volts

pastor bubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would check to make sure that the place where the solenoid is mounted is nice and clean. I had some issues with my old Javelins because of corrosion.

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
why is that the solenoids ground to where its mounted??

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Volts on a battery doesn't mean much. If it's not getting the amps it won't start the truck. You probably have a dead cell in the batt. It will still read full volts but won't have enough power to turn the truck over. Take the batt. to a store and have it tested. They can tell you if it's any good. They will test it for free. If that's not it the starter could be bad and taking way to much draw. My old starter sounded like the batt was bad. Slow crank and then click, click, click. Thought it was the batt and it was the starter. Have the batt. checked and then have the starter checked. Hope that helps.

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok sounds good man anyway i can test that with my fluke meter?

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
dont rule out that your battery cables could be corroded thru and not passing enough juice for the starter to turn. your gas mileage would also be down if the cables are bad. just my .02

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
my gas mileage is bad is that true???

schroader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your starter wont crank in your hand unless it ground. because it grounds to the bellhouseing. Have you checked for bad connections on battery. Try jumping it across the soleniod?

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
measure the voltage across the battery and have somebody turn the key to start the truck. If the voltage doesn't change theres a good possiblility it's not the battery.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
my 2.9 was getting 13 mpg. went thru a few starters and alternators along with soliniod and the pickup in the distributor. last thing i did on a whim to resolve the issue, fixed it and bumped my mpg up to 20mpg. bad cables. i split the cover all the way down and it was corroded the entire length. it wouldnt hurt to change them in your issue just to rule it out. its cheap and if that don't work, you are out 20bucks and a little less preventative maintenance also...i was haveing similar issues as you and it would cut out while i was driving!!

Last edited:

rangerrager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm ok thats what i was worried about wit the grounding thing..so maybe it is the starter hmm brb guyss going to he garage

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey sorry to thread jack, but with the whole replace cables to get better mileage deal, which cables do you replace? Theres lots wires running off my battery to who knows where. Would a person replace them all? Or is there main ones or something? Hope you fix your prob!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the battery has a dead cell it will not read 12.7 volts (sorry jay).
If it reads in the 10.2 range you have a cell down and it will act crazy as hell.
Computers cant handle low voltage.

Easy way to check the starter is a pair of jumper cables hooked to the battery,Ground the neg. to the starter case (mounting tab works great) and the positive to the tab where the cable connects.
Connect the cables to the starter first then the ground to a battery you know is good then touch the positive cable to the positve battery post.It will spark like crazy so do not have your face over the top of the battery when you connect the cable clamp.Only run it for a second or two.It will help to have someone put their foot on the starter to keep it from rolling around the floor.
In other words...........dont hold the starter in your hands while you do this!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals