• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

popping noises after BL

the_blue_phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so i just put my 3" BL on this past week, and while i was driving around town afterwords i heard popping noises whenever i turned the steering wheel. any ideas on what this may be?

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I had that on the blazer i had. i did a 2" bl, and every time i turned it would pop. scared me at first, but i found out that i needed to retighten my bolts. try that after a cople hundred miles or so. its due to the body settling on the bushings and stuff.

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
it wouldn't hurt to recheck you steering shaft and make sure its tight, there is also a bundle of wires that go to the starter may want to check and make sure those are still out of the way of the shaft

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check steering shaft ext. There shouldn't be any noises at all, just a slightly tighter steering feel which IMO makes the truck feel better.

Check your torque on all your body bolts. When they loosen up, when your driving you'll feel a thud because the cab is lifting off the frame a little bit and slamming back down when you turn.

You did use locktite on the cab bolts right?

the_blue_phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yes i used locktite on all the bolts. the popping noise isnt coming from the body of the truck, just the steering column

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
steering shaft hitting/contacting the firewall when you turn? Probably have to clearance the bottom of the hole in the firewall.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
pull that inner fender and check for clearences and tightness of the mounting bolts.... The extention is quite a ways from hitting things but you never know. you shouldn't have any noises or anything at all after the BL. The 4 I've done didn't do this and nobody else have reported what your reporting after theirs. Even with loose bolts, that extention is a pretty tight fit...machined specific to fit in fact.

It could be possible that your alot more aware of noises after the BL went on and you're noticing possible worn out tie rod ends that you didn't notice before because you wern't looking for problems. Or something else wearing out.

Double check everything you touched for and during the lift. You'd be surprised what you'd find that you may have forgetten. I know I've made mistakes while working on my truck before.

EDIT: Just thought of this....did you happen to spin the steering wheel while the two halves were disconnected?

the_blue_phantom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
No, I made sure that I did not spin the steering wheel while it was disconnected. According to the instructions doing so can lead to "costly repairs" which I tend to avoid when possible. :D The steering extension seems tight, the bolts aren't coming loose but just to be sure I put loctite on those too. I don't see anything coming in contact with the steering column, it just looks kinda normal. And I really don't remember hearing this before the BL either...hmm I have no clue whats going on. Also, I've noticed that this occurs mostly when I'm going at slow speeds (driving in my neighborhood, backing down my driveway, and off-roading) more so than at high speeds.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a 3 inch body lift on a 92 toyota and where the shaft goes through the firewall was rubbing when I turned, making a popping sound. The reason it was noticeable at low speeds was because the steering shaft wasnt round. It has two flat sides and two rounded sides. At higher speeds you never turned it sharp enough to make it transition from the flat part to the rounded part which was what the popping sound was. You would have to get under the dash and pull the rubber boot back from the firewall some in order to see where its contacting. Once you se where its hitting, clearance it with a dremel or something similar.

Ron

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
sorry to jack but what is the proper torque for the body bolts?
________
The Cliff Condo

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals