• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunner RC Build

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u need to check out my thread in my sig u can get some ideas off pics of my rear susp. :D

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if u need to check out my thread in my sig u can get some ideas off pics of my rear susp. :D
:shok: Do the trailing arms actually connect in almost the same place as the radius arms!!!!????

Those rear fenders are interesting how they meet up at about the middle of the club cab window.

Do you have any shots of where the trailing arms connect to the chassis? Do they connect on the outside of the frame rails?

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:shok: Do the trailing arms actually connect in almost the same place as the radius arms!!!!????

Those rear fenders are interesting how they meet up at about the middle of the club cab window.

Do you have any shots of where the trailing arms connect to the chassis? Do they connect on the outside of the frame rails?
there is at least 6inches between the radius arm and trailing arms :D

the reason the fenders lap up the side like that is because the cab is pushed back so far and it was the easiest way to get the fender to line up again.

I dont know if i have any shots of the way they connect right now, but they connect on the outside of the frame rails. the truck is torn apart right now getting ready for a race so ill see what pics i can come up with.

Last edited:

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
6" to me is practically mounting at the radius arms :D Never would have thought it was that close but it makes sense.

No worries on the pics of the chassis mounts. I think I have a good idea of how it mounts. I just need to widen the power the trailing arms mount to the axle to help get the shocks on the outside of the frame rails.

I'm working on getting the steering sorted out right now. I have the frame brackets mounted and the steering links together. Just have a couple more links to make and some hinge brackets.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
wow i didnt realize you had this build thread on TRS... i stumbled onto it on the BYT forum and have been following it over there haha!!

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the reason the fenders lap up the side like that is because the cab is pushed back so far and it was the easiest way to get the fender to line up again.
I thought it was because you were running long bed, bedsides, instead of the short bed ones. and you pushed the rear axle forward.

Nick I would just do a back half, then you would have lots of room for the shocks

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wow i didnt realize you had this build thread on TRS... i stumbled onto it on the BYT forum and have been following it over there haha!!
Yup. My main reason for posting over here is because you guys know what you're talking about when it comes to the real truck and since I'm trying to replicate it your input helps a TON!

Nick I would just do a back half, then you would have lots of room for the shocks
I think that would be the easiest way out at this point but I'm stubborn :D I'm going to see what I can come up with while keeping the frame rails. If I can't get the setup right then I'll hack em off.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
amazing, i didnt know they made some of that stuff for rc cars. i have an old gas powered one, but it hasnt been driven in years.

i think i may scrap my BII build and just do an rc car lol

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No progress unfortunately. It's just been sitting on the work bench. :sad:

I've been crazy busy with some other toys lately and I finally got around to getting my 1:1 ranger running. Heck, because of this site it's crossed my mind to turn it into a prerunner. :D Too bad we don't have any place worth driving a prerunner at around here!

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok here's a little update. Got a little time today at lunch to waste some dremel cut off wheels.

I decided what the heck, I might as well go for the more complicated multi link steering setup. Looks like it would work good because of geometry.

Brackets mounted to the frame and steering links made for the knuckles.

Decided to just go ahead and make the brackets that drop down below the frame. These will allow the steering linking mounting points to be just about the same location as the center line of the beams mounting point. They're not brazed yet just trimmed up and in place. I'll most likely not use the short tubes in the pic, I'll end up brazing on long tubes and trimming them down. I just wanted to see how they might look when finished.

Hopefully I can get them brazed up tonight. Then I'll just have to make a link that connects the left and right brackets together. Then mount the steering servo on the frame and run a link from that to one side of the steering and it should be finished up front.

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this friggin' thing is just amazing. i'm impressed with your work (and patience) so far. keep it up, man!

NickRummy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this friggin' thing is just amazing. i'm impressed with your work (and patience) so far. keep it up, man!

Alright. Made some good progress today! Still have some bugs to work out but I think this might just work.

Both the drop brackets are done and in place. I'm either going to have to reconfigure how the links are mounted or move the chassis mounts.

Here's a shot of the steering full lock to one side. I'm going to have to get some thinner head hardware because the clearances are pretty slim. It's REALLY close to being perfect though. I didn't have time to fab a cross link to connect the sides together. I will probably wait until I get the brackets in the right place anyways. I'm pretty sure I can get some rod ands that are a little smaller too.

I had to rig this side a little to get the bracket in the right place. Ideally I want the drop bracket in the middle of the chassis bracket so I have to rework this side.

The connection point for the drop bracket and the steering link is just barely below and just barely outside of the beam mount so the steering links follow the beam's travel almost perfectly.

That's it for now! I'll get some better hardware so the fit is better and see where I can move the mounts to make it work smoother. Then I'll make the cross link and mount the servo and give it a test.

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
it's gotta be just about safe to say that this will be one unique ass RC truck. what are you planning on doing for the rear?

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
That's just so cool, I like craftsmanship like that:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals