• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prius rant

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I commute 75 miles round trip to work each day. Mostly rural, about 1/2 two lane highway and 1/2 four lane. Why does it seem like every time traffic starts to run under the speed limit (in good conditions) the car at the front of the line is a damn Prius? Yeah, I know, they get a million miles to the gallon and they're earth freindly blah blah blah. But come on people, get a clue.

Today there was a lady in a Prius that had BOTH south bound lanes of the highway down to almost 55 mph. The speed limit is 65 and traffic usually runs 70-75. The people stuck behind her in the right lane were trying to jump into small openings in the left lane, thus slowing it to almost the same speed. When I came up on this I could see two bumper to bumper lines of cars over a 1/4 mile long. This is through farm country! I got stuck right behind the Prius lady for about a mile before I had to exit. She seemed completely unaware of the horns honking and people flipping her off.

I wonder how much fuel was wasted by all those people having to hit the brakes, then flooring it to try to get around the Prius without getting rearended?

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
People like this are the ones to get others killed. They drive slower then hell and are unaware of their surroundings.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and they like the smell of their own farts. i remember geo metros, and ford festiva's getting the same gas mileage, even a crx my friend had got close to 50mpg! i work a toyota dealer, and you can always tell which customer owns a prius, they have no idea there are 20 people behind them in line, and they will ask a thousand times how come they dont make mudflaps for prius'? and then make weird noises like,"huh, mmmm, hum, i wonder?," for 20 damn minutes! get the fack out!!!!

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did u know, when u stick ur hand out the window on a prius...the vehicle will actually turnnnn

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
not to mention they're a pain to start and drive. Every time we get one in the body shop it takes us a few minutes to figure the damn thing out. I don't get behind too many though. Usually its always the same 2 or 3 people that hold traffic up on my commute. One of them is a 3rd gen ranger, one is an early 90s chevy with "GM Goodwrench" stickers all over it, and the other is a 90s Cadillac Deville (same person that drives the Chevy).

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
and they like the smell of their own farts. i remember geo metros, and ford festiva's getting the same gas mileage, even a crx my friend had got close to 50mpg! i work a toyota dealer, and you can always tell which customer owns a prius, they have no idea there are 20 people behind them in line, and they will ask a thousand times how come they dont make mudflaps for prius'? and then make weird noises like,"huh, mmmm, hum, i wonder?," for 20 damn minutes! get the fack out!!!!
Yes, I do seem to notice owners' of Prius have their own little world. It never seems to fail. When I get a Prius to work on, the owner is always seems to be blabbing something about it. Or the one owner that always tells me to be careful because its a hybrid and has a high-voltage line under the hood. I CAN READ THE WARNING LABELS!!!

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I made a lady at the gas station mad this morning, she started carrying on about how great her Prius was and that my truck is "such a gas hog". I just looked at her and said yes ma'am but I can poop bigger than your Prius, and your Prius can't haul a ton of gravel so WHAT'S YOUR POINT??

she seemed rather upset by that!! I just shook my head and walked away.

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i havent confirmed this myself, but doesnt making a hybrid create much more pollution than making a regular car? Something about the nickle in the batteries that they have to melt down?

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard that too. I've also heard to take one old car (that still runs good) off the road and send it to the crushers, crushing it pollutes the environment the same as if a 20 year old or older pre-emissions law car for one year (assuming it has been looked after and runs good). Also another thing to factor in to the Preius and hybrids is all the plastic used in and on them, the plastic has to be made somewhere and the fumes that gives off isn't healthy either. Plus the batteries used in the Preius need replacing every 10 years (under nominal conditions), so that means, depending on the amount of driving you do, and the climate you're driving in and the topagraphical location you're driving in, those batteries could last as little as 3 years-5 years. I read somewhere where those batteries are over a grand for the parts, and then about that to replace (correct me if I'm wrong). I see the Preius as a stepping stone car, its the first mass produced low/zero emmissions car that made it big. I don't see it lasting. I see what Chevy has started, and what Dodge has just released being the new wave of the future. They have the engines where at crusing speeds and low power driving conditions, several cylinders (4) shut down and the big Gas Guzzling V8, ends up becoming an economical "V4" (yes I know there is no V4, but this idea acts like it). I see this idea taking over, because as American's, We love our big V8's. I see this being the new wave of the future, imagine this being used in a small 4 cylinder, like a Civic, or a Focus. I see this going much further then a "high voltage" setup.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed Prius drivers and handicapped people are the slow pokes, handicapped Pruis drivers are the worst :icon_rofl: Actually I take that back, people hauling horse trailers are the worst :flipoff: I personally don't fill up at "discount stations" such as ARCO or Costco but when I'm with my friends that do I noticed all the fucks that drive Prius's are filling up there, GTFO, your car gets 60MPG, fill up elsewhere!

Last edited:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to be earth freindly, here's the car to drive...

2008 Tesla Roadster
0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds
13,000 rpm redline
135 mpg equivalent
220 miles per charge
less than 2 cents per mile

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you want to be earth freindly, here's the car to drive...

2008 Tesla Roadster
0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds
13,000 rpm redline
135 mpg equivalent
220 miles per charge
less than 2 cents per mile
But the price is more then I want to pay. Isn't it like $250,000. But then again you could b***h at the prius drivers for getting worst gas mileage then your car, and it can outrun a ferarri.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What's funny though, is if you floor it, the Prius one fast little car.

A friend of my dad's has one. They have a Prius, had a small 4wd little tiny thing (Honda, I think...replacing it now), and the Dodge Ram farm truck. The Ram only goes about 2000 miles a year.

I have heard very favorable things about battery longevity in the Prius, 10 years isn't too bad. Full electrics are lucky to get 1.5 to 3 years out of a set, depending on the design and how they are treated (conventional lead acid design).

Each vehicle has it's place...you wouldn't want a Prius for what our dumptruck does, and vice versa.

On another note, my brother owns a bike shop in Buffalo (bicycles), and he said that business is through the roof.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I read the tesla roadster is 100K.....if I was doing really well, I'd buy one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals