• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Problem installing u-joint.

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i got the old u-joint out of my front driver's side outer axle. I tried to put the new u-joint in, and it won't go all the way in. The caps won't press all the way down so i can get the c-clips in. It's like there is air trapped in the grease or the grease itself is keeping it from compressing all the way. They keep popping back out. I did the passenger side outer already, and it went together great. Am i missing something? They are the same u-joint and the same brand.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you're trying to do one cap at a time it's kind of difficult as the air pressure one cap puts on the joint will push the other off... Try using a vice and press both caps on at the same time... I just use a table vice and two sockets that are roughly the same size as the cap (make sure they are a little smaller)...

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, i've tried that already. With a clip on one cap, it still won't compress with my bench vise. I tried sockets too. Is it possible the yoke bent itself in too far when i pressed the old one out? It was really rusty, so it required significant effort.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, i've tried that already. With a clip on one cap, it still won't compress with my bench vise. I tried sockets too. Is it possible the yoke bent itself in too far when i pressed the old one out? It was really rusty, so it required significant effort.
Last time I had to do u-joints I beat on mine real good and didn't bend anything... Try harder...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I bet you dropped a needle bearing inside the cap, thus not letting the cap go on all the way. If you force it you will break the cap. Take it back apart and see if a needle fell.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I bet you dropped a needle bearing inside the cap, thus not letting the cap go on all the way. If you force it you will break the cap. Take it back apart and see if a needle fell.
You're on the ball tonight man!

I'm seconding the needle bearings. I blew the hell out of my rear drive shaft and decided to go with a 1350 d shaft yoke to a 1330 pinion yoke. Even being wicked carefull, one damn needle fell to the bottom of the cap and I couldn't get the c clips.

If it keeps happening and you disturb the other bearings while tryin to get it out, take a magnet and rub it on a screw driver like it's your boyfriend. Then the needle will stick to the screw driver and just tap and pull.

five.0l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
im third the needles bearing and they break easy iver ****ed up lots of u joints that way but i have spare bearings :) so no biggie

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
x4 on the Needle Bearings.

I doubt that the yoke ears bent. I've beat pretty hard on some before to swap ujoints and didn't bend them.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I've had them tweak in bit not allowing the c clip to go on before, but nothing a couple raps with a hammer couldn't straighten out.

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've checked to see if a needle bearing fell in there somewhere. I've also tried another universal joint. Is it possible that it's a different size u-joint than the passenger side? The reason i ask is that i did manage to get it in one of the yokes, but it's really tight. The u-joint seems a little too tight. The spindle yoke won't allow me to get anywhere close to in.

Last edited:

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip about the hammer, Sasquatch_Ryda. With a little bit of persuasion from my hammer, i was able to make the yoke very cooperative. Now the joint is in and ready to go. Now for my next trick; How do you remove the spindle bearings (directly behind the spindle that support the axle)??? Do you need a special bearing puller? I have new ones to install, but i can't get these out.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I have a long drift that I use to get them out. Go in from the front side of the spindle (where the threads are) and drift them out. You may need to grind a little notch in the drift to get it to grab the bearing.

Here is a crude sketch of what i'm talking about.

Attachments

Last edited:

Geeshik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was able to use a right angle regular screwdriver and a hammer to get the bearings out.

When i installed the new ones, i used a 30mm socket and it was just a little small. Everything was going well until i got it down where i needed it to be. i crushed the first bearing and the cage wouldn't turn inside of it.

When i installed the second one, i walked the socket around the outside edge of the bearing and it didn't crush. Then i had to remove the first new one i installed. I broke the right angle screwdriver, and fought with it for 2 hours trying to get it out with what was left of the right angle screwdriver and some other punches that i had. It literally fell apart until all i had was the metal ring (no lip at all to speak of on top or bottom to push against). I had to use a grinding stone to grind through the ring and then i was able to knock it out with a chisel. Boy, i learned my lesson. I will have to be more careful next time.

Now what about the seals that go in on top of the bearings? The dealer didn't mention them. Does anyone know the part number for them? And what about the seal that goes over the slip spline on the driver's side? i know it sits in a rubber boot, but i'm sure there's a reason it had a seal. i damaged mine when i was replacing that u-joint. Does anyone else find it ridiculous that this axle has 10 or so seals on it???

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ask for a spindle seal, you need it.

There is no seal at the slip spline, just a clamp to keep the boot tight.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Actually there is a seal on the very end of the female yoke, but with the boot over it, that one isn't really needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals