• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project: Moose Knuckle; Part III

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
"In 3 trips and a few thousand miles on the road I've gone through 2 sets of inner and outter wheel bearings (inner came out in 20 pieces), ball joints are totally shot, blew up a front right U joint, and busted a drivers side axle shaft."

Unless you're just dead set on swapping that thing out, sounds to me like some preventative maintainence/better parts would stop alot of that, other than that you could just buy some shafts to polish that thing.

Last edited:

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
by prevenative maintnence do you mean having me pull them apart every 5 thousand miles and re packing them with new grease like he already has me do? His wheels have such a high offset to give the truck a remotely wide stance that it kills wheel bearings.Is this gonna be a whole lot better on one tons? no we know that but it'll help.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Hahahah thanks hub monkey!

So I'm also considering a cheb 60 for P side drop and running a divorced and riggin up custom exhaust. Seems it'd be a lot cheaper then a rear to front conversion. But not nearly as cool. BUt that warrents the divorced t case, would be wicked cheap, (well a 1/4 the price of a ford 60 with king pins) and could be done quickly and correctly.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I'm 200 bucks from rocks. But yes. I was banned. Now I'm not.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Rockwells on a DD?:icon_surprised::headbang:

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
Im gettin rid of my 44 and going to a ford kingpin 60 and 14bolt. asking the same questions leafs or coil overs air shocks who knows... Though about the rockwells but im trying to lower my center of gravity so the huge pinion on the top was a deal breaker. o well one tons should be enough under a 1/4 ton baby truck

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Team Moose Knuckle is entering the George Town Ice Races this year. I'm fuc king pumped.

I'm still workin on rocks, but that's for down the road. I might just keep the rear suspension, and run air shocks for the front. I'm still figuring that shit out.

But purely for fun, on my next few days off I'm doin some shit.

I'm thinkin I may pull the bed.

And shorten the WB.

And build a different bed.

And pick up another keg for the gas tank.

Oh, and I'm pickin up two 37" ground hawgs. Just gotta find two more 37s for the front.

I'm thinkin that'd be fun. Yeah.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Team Moose Knuckle is entering the George Town Ice Races this year. I'm fuc king pumped.

I'm still workin on rocks, but that's for down the road. I might just keep the rear suspension, and run air shocks for the front. I'm still figuring that shit out.

But purely for fun, on my next few days off I'm doin some shit.

I'm thinkin I may pull the bed.

And shorten the WB.

And build a different bed.

And pick up another keg for the gas tank.

Oh, and I'm pickin up two 37" ground hawgs. Just gotta find two more 37s for the front.

I'm thinkin that'd be fun. Yeah.
i saw your hacked photoshop on myspace, its a good idea. im in to be part of your pit crew for the ice races:D good news! im starting on my crawler again:icon_welder:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
News:

The 37s were 35s. The bastard's inability to comprehend numbers led me on a 50 mile trip for nothin.

As far as shortening the wheel base, I can move the rear axle 15" forward and still be able to fit 44s (one day) with out hitting the cab.

If I keep the leaves, I only loose about 17" of frame in the rear. If I run air shocks I can chop it where ever the hell I want.

As far as the work with the bed, I'm just going to make a box out of square, and hang the factory bed sides after they've been cut down. Or just make some tube fenders and sheet metal it.

I want to keep a functional bed, to load up come camping gear and help jack ass friends move tvs around from place to place. So I don't want to loose too much bed.

I'd like to fab a tailgate that swings out from the middle to each side, and a way to extend the bed for extra space. That'd be sick.

Still plotting. Some parts store is doin a big sale on fox 2.0 air shocks... 189 a piece for 14" travel, I think.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Got the bed off today. Been a while since I really washed her good, instead of just sprayin it off a little.

There was a few lbs of dirt and mud that came out along with my bed liner.

I loaned a buddy my jack stands. Now I can't get the rear end out to start movin it forward.

Still debating keepin my leaves, or goin for air shocks...

With air shocks I could cut more frame, but it'd be much more expensive then keepin my leaves.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Pulled the rear end out, as well as the gas tank etc. I moved the axle forward and started figuring out materials.

I'm going to keep the leaves, just cause the ease of working with them, and I've already got them. And they flex fine.

I might get those things that go between the perch and leaf and allow a little more pivot when the bushings are maxed on the leafs.

Here's some pictures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals