• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Rust Bucket. [non-rbv]

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got around to peeling most of that epoxy off. Looks like it was mostly meant for support and to keep water out, as there was SOME metal attatched to the wheel well. I have to chisle that out of the way (it's just rust) before the bed will pop off. But first I need to detatch the filler neck from the bed, almost forgot that.

Also, would I go about re-routing the filler neck, if that's possible? I would like to move it forward towards the cab, so there will be as much bed space as possible. Or at least get it out of the way. Having things out in an odd spot catches the attention of little children, and I don't need them climbing on my truck using the filler neck. Actually, I plan to leave the jagged rust edges exposed. The little buggers will only climb on it once..

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what little buggers?
Having things out in an odd spot catches the attention of little children, and I don't need them climbing on my truck using the filler neck.
Horrible I know, but it works.

Anyway, here's some progress on the "flatbed."

Drivers side and most of the passenger side is off.

It's only held on by this little bit here. The part where the tailgate connects. It is the ONLY bit of solid metal on that entire bedside connecting to the bottom.

I have an idea that uses the NISSAN logo from the tailgate. I want to include it on the flatbed (when I put a wood one on) somewhere. Not quite sure where yet.

I'm waiting on my brother to bring me something so I can finish this up. He has an angle grinder that I'll need to cut the rest of it off. I'm going to clean up some of those jagged edges as well.

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Like I said, Nissan wasn't a fan of building things that could survive a bored white kid. I just shook the hell out of it and it started to rip, then I jammed a screwdriver in it and pounded on it for a while to split the metal. Worked pretty good..

But.. bad news.. frame rust..

Damn Asians and their rusty vehicles. :bawling:

I'm going to see if I can get someone to weld that up for me. Think that should work?

Anyways, here's my mock up of my tail lights. I'm considering both this, and mounting them to the bumper.

I'm not sure about the legality of these, do they have to be visible from the sides? If so, I could drill some holes and insert some yellow plastic to keep the police happy. This truck will see limited road use.. I hope.. it's my backup vehicle in case my Ranger is dead. Once I get the tails and mudflaps put on, it will be almost street legal. Still needs tires and an exhaust to pass inspection, and an alternator to be able to run. Not sure if it needs brakes, but they would probably be a good idea.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Holy frame rot batman!!!:icon_surprised:
Yep. Now at least when my brother yells at me for what I did to the bed, I can tell him to shove it because the trucks worthless anyway. He's said I can have it on multiple occasions, I just got sick of it sitting there wasting away so I decided to finally do something about it.

Believe it or not, he paid about 4 grand for that truck.. in not much better condition than that. He's not the smartest pea in the pod.

About 6 months after he bought it the bed started to fall apart, and the truck went to hell after that. He finally stopped driving it when the alternator went (actually about 4 months AFTER the alternator went) and he got his Ranger.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
ill get a pic of my buddys caged nissan. its pretty shitty looking. hes rolled it like 20 times. ofcourse with proper gear. hes not dumb(all the time).
anyway thats not frame rust..........the freakin frame monster paid it a visit

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey.. does anyone on here know if a Ranger 8.8 will bolt up to the driveshaft on this sucker? :D

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That truck would never pass our state inspection. I would have just used it as a field car until it quit, then scrapped it.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
why dont u use like 2x2" square stock and make a cage on the existing flat bed and make some hangers to hang the bedside kinda like baja trucks have that way it looks like u have a bed and u can keep the tail lights where they were

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i meann like make a frame on the outside edges of the old bed floor to hang the bedsides from

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You have really really got your hands full man. If those frame rails are that rotted, your brake lines are prob on the verge of popping as well. The hardware in your drum brakes is probably rotted out too. The leaf spring shackles are not much better off, as well as the leafs and the brackets. It is a real shame that this truck has so little miles on it. I think the work to make this thing see the road again is going to be very expensive and very taxing on you man. And a 8.8 should be the very last thing on your mind man. I doubt it very highly you will ever break whats under there. And even so, I think its too wide as well as you would need a custom driveshaft for the size u- joint it would take, If I remember correctly it is different. And dont forget you need to match the gearing to whats in the front rear as well.

alabama0redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
thats what i am saying

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals