• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project "Step Child"

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
I didn't know Equus gauges we're made by AutoMeter. And I was going to give away that color-shift tach I have.

What year is that Explorer?

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The one I have now is a 91. The one I mentioned about getting for my 4.0,tranny,axle swap for step child is a 92. Yes the are made by AutoMeter but hey if that tach of yours still needs a home....LOL
Paul

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
I'm very surprised that there body lines are different. That seems kind of oddball to me.

I'll have to see if that tach even works, I got it at a garage sale. It was technically in the original packaging:D Looked like the tach was crammed in the box with a bunch of spare wire. I wonder where it went...

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah for the longest time I thought they were the same body lines too. i noticed the front winshield is even different. I need one for the wifes and was gonna pull the one from the 91 sploder but after looking at it close I seen that it was way different.
Like I said, we have had zero problems with the gauges. i even bought a set for the 85 F-150 I had but they wound up going with it when I sold it. In the pics of step child after it was cleaned up you may catch a glimps of my buddies S-10 that we just finished a fresh v-8 install on. He has a set of them in it now too and is real pleased with them as well. That truck by the way should be fun once the engine has gotten its break in done, 85 S-10 4x4 long bed 350 V-8 4in(I think) lift and 31x10.50x15 wild country mudders.
Paul

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By the way there Mike, that is one sweet ranger you have there. Clean lines and not over done but still room for improvement.
Paul

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
Thanks Paul. Still a few little things I need to do on the exterior, namely the rear bumper and hoop. Lots to do on the interior. Good mild wheeler i can still DD comfortably.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
nice looking b2 you got there

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same to you but thank you sir. got a lot of ideas and plans just not a lot of time or money just yet. What makes it worse is that it is a co-workers house an hour away from me. City kinda frowns on "projects" sitting in the driveway. God I wish I had a garage!!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yup garages are perfect, thats why i love living out in the country lol

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wish I did!! I'm just a country boy at heart but am stuck living in town for the moment. Been looking for a place in the country though, ideally something with at least 2 acres and a shop or garage. Not gonna give up untill I find it either. Thoght we had one last year with 5 acres and a really nice,big shop but the deal fell through and it got sold to someone else. Talk about a bummer, I was down in the dumps for weeks after that.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well got tired of it sitting an hour away so I went and drug her home. As long as I keep the tag on it and it looking like it's driveable I should be ok.
Had some time off from work and the weather was decent so I started scrapping the sound deadener off the floor in prep to put my DIY bedliner coating on.The wiring that you see hanging is the dash loom. I have it removed also.

Found that a good sharp wood chisel worked really well.

After removing the majority of it with the chisel I cleaned it all up and scuffed it up with the drill and grinder that are laying in the floor. Sorry forgot to take pics of it all clean.
Here it is with the first coat of bedliner applied.

I just did the area where the seats were today as the back is still full of parts. I intend to do the back this weekend.

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
dang that looks really good. what bedliner did u use to coat it with? i thought about doing that in mine, but that deadener looks like a pita to get off. u roll it on or spray it? things comming along pretty good

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used the same bed liner stuff you used on your roof. It's the Rustoleum brand. I used a roller to apply it really thick and a foam brush to get into the crevises that the roller wouldnt get. It is kinda a pain to get off but not REAL bad. Once you get a corner started it goes kinda easy. Just use a really sharp chisel. Like I mentioned you will want to use a grinder or drill with a really still wire wheel afterwords to remove the remaining residue. Plus side is that by using the wire wheel it will also scuff the floor and remove any surface rust you find. And trust me, if yours is like mine it will have rust under the sound deadener.

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
sweet might have to do that and put some indoor outdoor black carpeting over it. i might buy a gallon and put another coat on my roof and some one my lightboxes and the rest on the floor. lol i got too many projects going for the thing at one time. im gonna try to finish up the light boxes and the shaft this weeekend. hard to find time now with working 50+ hrs a week lol

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I understand the long hours at work. I went through that this past summer, had to love the extra money though. I think I'm gonna just use some of those heavy duty rubber floor mats on top of my bedliner floor. Might wind up spraying the floor a grey color on top of the bedliner after I have it finished though. Not sure yet if I like the black. Doesn't look bad at all just think it might make it too dark inside once the whole floor is done. We will see. At least it will be more waterproof and easier to keep cleaned after mudding and wheeling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals