• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PS and AC delete results

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok people let's go ahead and get the flame on so we can get it out of the way. The truck is a high mileage 93 base model that the AC has not worked on in the last 10 years. Recently the PS pump has been making more noise and has started leaking fluid from the input shaft. The gear box also has some signs of a leak starting but it's not horrible enough to address yet. I wondered what would happen if I bypassed the system and ran a non AC belt for manual steering and was kind of surprised.

1: the truck doesn't make any noise. Other then the slight valve train noise it's very hard to hear the motor at idle. Keep in mind I also have a E fan.

2: the truck starts faster I assume this is just because there is slightly less force to over come from the PS pump and extra pullys.

3: the truck idled about 100 rpms higher then before. I don't have a explanation for it.

4: and yes there is a slight and I do mean slight power increase. I notice it the most in 5th gear. I would not justify doing this delete for power but we are probaly talking some where around 5hp realistically.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I removed the PS unit from the engine I swapped (98 2.5) and all it took was to get a smaller belt. It does give a slight bit more power back to the purpose of moving the vehicle down the road (or up the road) but not anything to write home about.

I was more concerned with the leaks too even though I had a spare reservoir and steering box that didn't leak. I started out driving a 2.0 with a carburetor and the thought of adding anything that took any of the limited HP away was out of the question.

I would suggest getting a proper manual steering box though because the power units have a slightly different design and are not meant to be driven without the power assist. Although you can do it that way I heard they were not well suited so I didn't take the chance.

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you drive it long enough, a power unit will end up with no lube inside. I think the fluid that moves the internal assist piston is also the lube for the gears & bearings. The manual units are 'recirculating ball' so the gear teeth faces never touch each other, but I know not if the power units are also. Not gonna take mine apart to find out.
You can, at least I've seen it done, fill the unit with lube, and then use some fuel line type rubber tubing to connect the inlet & outlet which should, in theory, move the lube around as the piston moves. Leaving the steering connected to the pump while the pump has not power in from the serpentine makes steering more difficult than doing a quick turnaround U-connect of the inlet & outlet fittings. At least I think so.
tom

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You can, at least I've seen it done, fill the unit with lube, and then use some fuel line type rubber tubing to connect the inlet & outlet which should, in theory, move the lube around as the piston moves.
tom
This is exactly what I did when I went to electric power steering. I took a piece of hose about 100mm long and looped the inlet and outlet. It's been working great so far. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals