• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pulsating lights Interior/Exterior

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
First off my 99 X 5.0 AWD has been having this electrical issue since its gotten cold out. When I start the truck when its cold out all the lights will pulsate. I currently have a new alternator in it (3rd or 4th one now) and a fairly new battery(less than 1yr) and i have already checked all connections along with adding multiple grounding wires through out. At first i figured it was a lack of a ground somewhere so I added 2 straps from the body to frame(1 front and 1 rear) and added 2 new ground wires to the engine(1 from engine to frame and 1 from engine to body). I have also replaced the wires to the battery. Sorry for the long desription but figured I'de fill everyone in. I just returned from my deployment and this problem has got me boggled. Thanks for any info/help.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is the voltage reg part of the alternator? I think it is so you should be getting a new voltage reg every time you swap out the alternator.
My guess is the voltage reg. since this started when it got cold, lightly tap on the voltage regulattor to see if you have a bad connection.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
Yes the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. I'm just confused cause it did this with the last alternator too and that was only about a month old too. ive had this alternator in for close to a month also and its been doing it since the day I installed it. I don't believe I should end up with 2-3 bad alternators one after another. Also the reasons for replacing all the alternators was (in order) 1:eek:riginal stopped charging 2: alternater surged and cause the engine to surge(was in for about 3 months after I bought the X) 3: bearings where faulty and failed (was only installed for about a month) 4: possible fault for the pulsating lights(only a couple weeks) and now im on #5. I dont know if the alternators I keep getting are porly made but I'm getting tired of replacing them

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you're getting a bad run of alternators. I'm not sure where you are getting them but if it were me, I'd find a small auto parts shop that can order you an original alternator OEM for your X.
It's been my experience when you get alternators from places like Autozone, O'Riellys, Advanced Auto, you get crap. I wouldn't trust NAPA either. You may pay more but it might be worth it.
This is only my opinion.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
Yes I have been getting the alts from Pep-Boys but I really dought I would get a pair of alternators that are bad back to back. I even had them test this one on the bench before I even walked out of the store with it. If I take this one out and get it tested and it fails I'm taking it to a local place called Brownings and having them rebuild it and upping the amperage some too. I need the extra amperage cause I do run multiple lights when I go down to NC to go beach riding.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try checking your battery cables, and the battery itself. A weak battery will fail to supplement the alternator properly, leading to flickering, and a loose or corroded clamp or cable will cause flickering with vibration. Especially as things get cold: parts contract and can work loose.

Spott

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
Ok so new battery and a new alternator later and im still having the pulsating issue. I guess i may have to either live with this or just take a hit for the team and take it to the dealer. I am complete boggled by this.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seems to me it has to do with a farking diode being out some where. I know this would probably cause pulsating but I don't know enough about the electrical system on the newer models.

bwright1818

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have this same problem. The OEM alternator went 15 years then lost output. I put on a NAPA reman, which first took out a belt because of the bead-blasted pully then started to growl in a year. The third alt...also NAPA....makes the lights etc pulse when it's cold. It stops in a minute or two. I have saved the regulator from the second alternator and intend try putting it into the third alt. But my point is this: I, too am pretty sure you have an alternator/regulator problem, as I think I do. Also, I have bought NAPA stuff for years and have noticed a clear decline in quality. If NAPA's stuff is crap, then who can we trust? I don't know. Good luck....I watch my volt gauge surge four volts and know it is doing this not only to the lights but to the PCM...and I don't like THAT at all.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, I have bought NAPA stuff for years and have noticed a clear decline in quality. If NAPA's stuff is crap, then who can we trust? I don't know. Good luck....I watch my volt gauge surge four volts and know it is doing this not only to the lights but to the PCM...and I don't like THAT at all.
I've always loved and trusted NAPA for parts and help but not anymore. They sell crap like all the other parts chains. I bought rotors for the front of my truck and made sure they were premium grade. Paid around $70 each. When I picked them up at the NAPA store the box they came in said "made in china". I bitched at the guy behind the counter about these being made in china and he laughed and said all parts are made in china. :bawling:
I've had these rotors on my truck for about a year and they are warped. Next time I'm paying big bucks and buying Motorcraft. Motorcraft parts are made in Mexico but at least I can trust them.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
Well an update, when ever I put a load on the alternator(example: close windows when they are already closed) the pulsating stops and the lights go normal. I am probably gonna get my alternator custom made at this point.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well an update, when ever I put a load on the alternator(example: close windows when they are already closed) the pulsating stops and the lights go normal. I am probably gonna get my alternator custom made at this point.
I bought a 200 amp alternator for my ranger at mralternator.com and have had no issues. been running it two years now.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
I was actually thinking of one of those. I have a place here called Brownings that will build an alternator to the specs you want. I'm thinking of going there seeing there is about a 2-3 day turnaround for the rebuild. How does the 20amp do at idle? I dont want an amp that requires having to bump up the idle in order to produce some sort of power.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was actually thinking of one of those. I have a place here called Brownings that will build an alternator to the specs you want. I'm thinking of going there seeing there is about a 2-3 day turnaround for the rebuild. How does the 20amp do at idle? I dont want an amp that requires having to bump up the idle in order to produce some sort of power.
Normal Idle speed. I didn't increase idle. The pulley that came on the mralternator is a little smaller than my stock but the stock belt still worked. I've heard some guys got a smaller/shorter assessory belt but I didn't. I have an aftermarket volt gauge and it runs at 14.2-14.9volts. My stock alternator ran at 13.9 and seldom got close to 14.2. I never tested to see what amps it's actually putting out. I don't have the tester for that.

whitewizzard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99, 01
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0, 4.6
Cool. Thats not to bad I guess. I'm gonna go to Brownings tomorrow and see what it will cost to have my alternator re-turned to 200amps but before I have them do that im gonna see if they can find the gremlins I have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals