• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting Humpty Back Together: Ques on Rear Bumper and Tow Bar Installation

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Hi All,

My never-ending project is in need of the final stages and I need to start decluttering the garage. it's a small, two-car garage but with the bed and parts everywhere, I decided I need to start putting some pieces back on that I've already address. Two of them are the rear bumper and factory tow bar. I pulled each, cleaned the bloody he!! out of them, repainted and I can say each looks almost brand new. But it was a couple years back when I first yanked these parts off and don't remember the order. It seems pretty straightforward, but does anyone recall if I need to install them in order, (tow hook first then bumper)? And below are picks of the bolts I think apply to the tow hook. It looks like the guys with the solid brackets will mount vertical to the frame and the two bolts with that weird half J nut mount from underneath the tow bar into the frame. Looking at the truck though, (no bed for easy reference!), I can't see what the need of those half J nut looking things are. Is this the wrong hardware? Any help is appreciated!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The half j nuts thingamajiggers go inside something like a frame and when tightening the bolt head prevent the nut from turning.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I believe the two connected together hold the bumper bracket to the bumper. The singles hold the the bumper brace (bumper bracket to outside corners of the bumper) at the bumper bracket and the bumper... you might be missing two bolts and two nuts... there should be four of the singles if I'm not mistaken.

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Thanks guys! And I probably should've said the hardware in the pics are what I think only applies to the tow bar. Attached is what I'm thinking goes to the bumper. And Floored, I think you're dead on about that acting as a stopper. I just can't see where. I bet 10 to 1 if I get off my arse and try to reinstall, it'll be obvious. But that's the problem. I remember taking these off after removing the bed and as I was removing one, I remembered having to stop and remove the other first. That might have been an access issue like there's overlap on the frame/brackets or it might have just been something silly that I removed some bolts before realizing I was about to drop the wrong one lol (in fairness, they were both caked in rust and pineneedles so it wasn't so obvious which bracket went were).

And is there anyway of guessing at a torque rating for an application like these? I've seen the bumper rating of 84-115 ft/lb. That's kind of a huge swing :(

And thanks again guys!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never torqued body bolts. I go tight enough, tho I'm a fairly big guy. I've broken bolt heads off when I was younger...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2000 uses the double bolts to fasten the trailer hitch. they go from the inside at the rear of the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals