• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about suspension stiffness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245ci
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2’ Leveling Kit
Tire Size
265/75
So, for a bit of context: I have a ‘90 Ranger, 4.0, 4x4 and a 2’ leveling kit. I have the skyjacker front coil springs and the front and rear shock absorbers to go with it. While stationary, you can push the truck down at all four corners, it functions like a normal truck suspension. I get that it’s a truck and truck suspensions are kinda stiff, but I don’t think it should be so stiff I get thrown around and have to hold onto the steering wheel for dear life to prevent the bump steer from throwing the truck around. Even with shocks that are starting to go bad, I feel like the suspension doesn't have much travel. I want to get rid of the front sway bar, but I don’t think that would help the suspension flex more and give me a decently smooth ride. Anyone have any ideas?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So, for a bit of context: I have a ‘90 Ranger, 4.0, 4x4 and a 2’ leveling kit. I have the skyjacker front coil springs and the front and rear shock absorbers to go with it. While stationary, you can push the truck down at all four corners, it functions like a normal truck suspension. I get that it’s a truck and truck suspensions are kinda stiff, but I don’t think it should be so stiff I get thrown around and have to hold onto the steering wheel for dear life to prevent the bump steer from throwing the truck around. Even with shocks that are starting to go bad, I feel like the suspension doesn't have much travel. I want to get rid of the front sway bar, but I don’t think that would help the suspension flex more and give me a decently smooth ride. Anyone have any ideas?
What kinda shape are the radius arm and pivot bushings in? As well as the steering components?

Unhooking the sway bar will give more flex but i dont think itll help ride much. Probably make the bumpsteer worse.

If everything checks out might look into a steering stablizer.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
What tire pressure do you run and what size and type of tires?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245ci
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2’ Leveling Kit
Tire Size
265/75
What tire pressure do you run and what size and type of tires?
I bought my truck with 265/75 and they are more off-road tires, I just run them at the stock 35 PSI so they’re are a little softer

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I bought my truck with 265/75 and they are more off-road tires, I just run them at the stock 35 PSI so they’re are a little softer
35 is not soft. In fact, the door sticker probably recommends 32. The Ranger is light. If you have a heavy duty off-road tire, you could easily go down to 28, especially in the rear, when not loaded.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245ci
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2’ Leveling Kit
Tire Size
265/75
35 is not soft. In fact, the door sticker probably recommends 32. The Ranger is light. If you have a heavy duty off-road tire, you could easily go down to 28, especially in the rear, when not loaded.
I’ll have to change the pressure then, I have some more everyday use 235’s that I haven’t put on because I had to shift my matters to an oil leak. But im guessing that also help make the ride less rough? Even with 32psi in the front and 28 in the rear?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I’ll have to change the pressure then, I have some more everyday use 235’s that I haven’t put on because I had to shift my matters to an oil leak. But im guessing that also help make the ride less rough? Even with 32psi in the front and 28 in the rear?
Yes. Tire pressure is part of your suspension setup.

Many people look at the tire sidewall and inflate to the max pressure listed there. That pressure is for the maximum load that the tire is designed to handle. The Ranger doesn’t come close to that load. Ford calculated the pressure needed to handle the max load that the truck is designed to carry. That’s the pressure they put in the door jamb sticker at the driver side door. So, even that pressure can give a harsh ride when the truck is unloaded. Then, you consider the tires themselves. Off-road tires will often have stiffer sidewalls than highway tires, especially if you buy load range “E” tires instead of load range “C”. So, the stiffer sidewall on a heavy duty tire will still give a harder ride, even at the “proper” pressure for your actual load. It won’t hurt to play around with air pressures a little bit to find your happy pressure.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I know the radius arms are still in good shape, I know the little rubber bushings on the backside of where the radius arms slide into the frame are cracking but idk if that is a big of a deal. And what are these pivot bushings you speak of?

I know my radius arms and pivot bushings are still good, the bushings for the radius arms and the pivot bushings are a little worn but they move freely when you lift the truck up and stuff or set the truck back down on the ground. The only things that’s worn out is the tie rod ends.
Bad tie rod ends can magnify bump steer.

As long as you dont have any back and fourth beam movement the bushings are pry fine

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
and skyjacker is stiff riding too. my buddy owns a 4x4 shop and he says that is a common complaint after installing skyjacker lifts so he tries to warn people to be ready for a stiffer ride.

and i think the jeep forums try to redirect people away from skyjacker because of how stiff they ride. its been a while since i checked but i think that is the one they say not to get on jeeps.

and since jeeps and rangers weigh very similarly, maybe you could try buying some used old man emu or rough country springs and swapping them out to test the ride?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245ci
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2’ Leveling Kit
Tire Size
265/75
and skyjacker is stiff riding too. my buddy owns a 4x4 shop and he says that is a common complaint after installing skyjacker lifts so he tries to warn people to be ready for a stiffer ride.

and i think the jeep forums try to redirect people away from skyjacker because of how stiff they ride. its been a while since i checked but i think that is the one they say not to get on jeeps.

and since jeeps and rangers weigh very similarly, maybe you could try buying some used old man emu or rough country springs and swapping them out to test the ride?
I will have to look into rough country springs. They’re actually not as expensive as I thought, now that I look at them. I looked at some of the the reviews and I’m guess that they give a better ride quality than skyjacker (obviously). Would I have to buy rough country shock absorbers with the springs or can I just use the skyjacker shocks until they finally give out?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
you can just get the springs.

i know rough country has improved their springs alot in the last 12 years. i have had them on some lifted cherokees and had friends put them on their wranglers and stiff riding was never a complaint i heard.

they used to have an issue with the springs sagging over time but that is where they improved their springs as its not such a common complaint as it used to be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals