• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

questions on doublers

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
i"ve been following bray d's thread on the doubler, only thing is, his deals with a completely different case design.i've been searching the net and can't find what i'm after. what i have is a NP205 divorced transfer case and i need to know if there is a NP203 that came divorced since that is the gearbox i'm told to use. everything i have found deals with the NP203 being married to the transmission, but i like the aspect of having the divorced setup. any thoughts on where i can find a divorced NP203 would be great:pray::pray:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Check out Project Bronco.com if you haven't already. I used to be big into the 70's fullsize stuff and that's a good site. I remember reading about 203/205 doublers over there, but its been a few years so I can't recall off the top of my head.

...Or somebody on here will probably know.

IIRC, the Hi-Boys had divorced t-cases, thus the reason the needed a little lift from the factory, but I don't know which case they had, or if it was both.

Last edited:

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
Check out Project Bronco.com if you haven't already. I used to be big into the 70's fullsize stuff and that's a good site. I remember reading about 203/205 doublers over there, but its been a few years so I can't recall off the top of my head.

...Or somebody on here will probably know.

IIRC, the Hi-Boys had divorced t-cases, thus the reason the needed a little lift from the factory, but I don't know which case they had, or if it was both.
yeah, gotta checkem out, checked a couple on google but their NP203's married directly to the transmission. don't want to go that route cuz it limits the options on what motor and transmission combo's i can use. right now it's only limited by my ability to fabricate. if i can find one cheao enough that ain't a bag of shit i plan on going with a cummins deisel w/allison transmission:drool:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, the 203 never came as a divorced transfercase. The highboys had a divorced 205, and it was because of the lift, not the other way around.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
O.K, so i have tried every site trying to find a divorced NP203, no luck. any ideas where to look for an adaptor to convert to divorced status

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You are not going to find such a thing. All 203s were married t-cases and I couldn't imagine why you would want to divorce mount such a mass. I'm assuming you are trying to create a 203/205 doubler but using a 2wd transmission. To accomplish that configuration they only way you are going to do it will be to either swap in a 4x4 transmission or buy a 4x4 tailshaft and housing and get them installed. The only divorced t-cases offered in any Ford would be the NP205 and the Dana 24. If there was a way to make the 203 divorced another issue would be creating a super short driveshaft with a slip yoke between the trans and t-cases, there is some legnth to the doubler. I know you probably won't find anything to get what you are after though aside from changing or reconfiguring your trans.

Matt

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
You are not going to find such a thing. All 203s were married t-cases and I couldn't imagine why you would want to divorce mount such a mass. I'm assuming you are trying to create a 203/205 doubler but using a 2wd transmission. To accomplish that configuration they only way you are going to do it will be to either swap in a 4x4 transmission or buy a 4x4 tailshaft and housing and get them installed. The only divorced t-cases offered in any Ford would be the NP205 and the Dana 24. If there was a way to make the 203 divorced another issue would be creating a super short driveshaft with a slip yoke between the trans and t-cases, there is some legnth to the doubler. I know you probably won't find anything to get what you are after though aside from changing or reconfiguring your trans.

Matt
thats kinda what i thought, my purpose to the doubler was for a lower low range ratio. i'd even be satisfied with 3:1 by regear my transfer case. as for mounting that hunk of iron divorced, it's my understanding that the reduction part of the NP203 is 7in. and lets say for giggles i could find a front input for it and over all it added 12 inches to overall length i could take 3in off the trans to transfer shaft and 10 off of the rear driveline. but i think that i will stick to regearing for now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals