• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rainex wiper fluid and windshield coating

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I know it's not as good as some options but I've been running it for the last few years with good results that is until I got my windshield replaced on the '97 Ranger... don't know what it is but the rainex doesn't work for beans and I have to use my wipers which is annoying...

I don't know how long I'd had that bottle but with the old windshield the rainex worked fine but doesn't with the new window... I imagine it's some coating they put on it, when it's wiped it's super clear but that doesn't help at all when it's raining like heck and I can't see even with the wipers on full blast...

So I've had thoughts about going at the windshield with some Acetone and a clean rag to try to get whatever off of it but figured I'd ask for other thoughts since I haven't managed to try that theory in the last couple months...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
This gets me thinking and wondering if wax and grease remover ( you know the stuff they use in body shops as a prep for paint) would be a safer option to wash the windshield with. Its safe on paint and removes oils and waxes. Acetone can and will hurt paint.

I use the rain x washer fluid all the time and like it except when it is really foggy and then i get micro beads on the windshield and have to use the wipers anyways.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I tried Rainex once and it reduced the bugs sticking to the glass. When I cleaned it with Windex it got all foggy so I cleaned it off the glass, with alcohol, if I remember right.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've been using the orange stuff and never had an issue. It does take a little bit of use before it builds up enough to work as it should.

The green stuff shed water well enough but bug guts seem to stick more with it.

I've not tried the other colors.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I've been using the orange stuff and never had an issue. It does take a little bit of use before it builds up enough to work as it should.

Nope. I don't like the green at all.
PSX_20240123_142338.jpg

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
( use a ceramic coating, the same stuff that i "wax" the car with. It works much better and stays clear.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Mystery solved, Isopropyl alcohol took the coating off and now the Rainex works fine... I was hoping it would be that easy but didn't get to trying it until last Sunday...

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?

Orange is even worse...
orang is even worse.png

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hate Rainex. Works ok when you keep using it, but if you don’t keep using it, it just makes everything smudgey.

I used the Rainex washer fluid once, it took years to get it all cleaned out the system.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I use a ceramic coating on the whole truck; paint, plastic, and glass. It's perfectly clear and seems to work better than Rainex

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I tried RainX for the first time in the summer of 1992. Later that same year, in early December I was driving to the ski lodge with my wife for a day of snowboarding/sking.

In an instant the weather went from good to worse. Visibility was impaired and the snow flakes were the largest and most I had ever delt with driving. I immediately dropped my speed to 10 below the speed limit but simultaneously the passenger side wiper flew off the vehicle. While is surprise, if not shock the driver's side wiper also fjew from the truck (87 Ranger)??? It was then that I learned several things about both RainX and roof visits:
RAINX
Any moisture that was on the windshield was simply wicked away by the air passing the vehicle. My windshield was clear and visibility was actually better than with the wipers dancing all over the place.
ROOF VISOR
While driving in that snow storm I could suddenly see the true benefit of the roof/sun visor. It made two airstreams which were sucking all the air (and huge barrage of) snowflakes right up an over the cab??? The snow wasn't even hitting the now crystal clear windscreen because it was getting caught int these two air channels!!

I will not own a truck or SUV without a roof/sun visor and I apply 4 coats of RainX, twice a year to my thoroughly cleaned windshields. As a result, at speeds above about 35 mpg, I do not need wipers at all, the airstream clears any and all precipitation from the windshield. The visor further improves the situation by sucking it up and over the cab.

You may note the two odd looking air openings built into sun/roof visits, I had no idea why they were there, I thought it was to appear more stylish...NOPE!

I clean my windshield with warm water and dish soap. After it he as a "water break free" surface I do a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol. After that I apply 4 sequential coats of RainX, buffing off the excess between each cost. Anyone that I've ever shared this process with and tried it were amazed.

PS, I live in the PNW near Seattle in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains. The rainy environment is a lifestyle; I was shocked to learn that there is actually a "rainforest" here??? I thought that they only existed in the Amazon!

If there is a way to make driving safer in precipitation, I will try it...RainX is an awesome product. When used in conjunction with a roof visor, they could save your life, they work together that well.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I tried RainX for the first time in the summer of 1992. Later that same year, in early December I was driving to the ski lodge with my wife for a day of snowboarding/sking.

In an instant the weather went from good to worse. Visibility was impaired and the snow flakes were the largest and most I had ever delt with driving. I immediately dropped my speed to 10 below the speed limit but simultaneously the passenger side wiper flew off the vehicle. While is surprise, if not shock the driver's side wiper also fjew from the truck (87 Ranger)??? It was then that I learned several things about both RainX and roof visits:
RAINX
Any moisture that was on the windshield was simply wicked away by the air passing the vehicle. My windshield was clear and visibility was actually better than with the wipers dancing all over the place.
ROOF VISOR
While driving in that snow storm I could suddenly see the true benefit of the roof/sun visor. It made two airstreams which were sucking all the air (and huge barrage of) snowflakes right up an over the cab??? The snow wasn't even hitting the now crystal clear windscreen because it was getting caught int these two air channels!!

I will not own a truck or SUV without a roof/sun visor and I apply 4 coats of RainX, twice a year to my thoroughly cleaned windshields. As a result, at speeds above about 35 mpg, I do not need wipers at all, the airstream clears any and all precipitation from the windshield. The visor further improves the situation by sucking it up and over the cab.

You may note the two odd looking air openings built into sun/roof visits, I had no idea why they were there, I thought it was to appear more stylish...NOPE!

I clean my windshield with warm water and dish soap. After it he as a "water break free" surface I do a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol. After that I apply 4 sequential coats of RainX, buffing off the excess between each cost. Anyone that I've ever shared this process with and tried it were amazed.

PS, I live in the PNW near Seattle in the rain shadow of the Olympic mountains. The rainy environment is a lifestyle; I was shocked to learn that there is actually a "rainforest" here??? I thought that they only existed in the Amazon!

If there is a way to make driving safer in precipitation, I will try it...RainX is an awesome product. When used in conjunction with a roof visor, they could save your life, they work together that well.
I haven't noticed the snow sweeping over thing with my visor. It could be the design. It does have the big vents you speak of but perhaps they are smaller than yours.

When it's raining, water gets blown off to the sides instead of up over the cab. The RainX still works. The visor just changes how the air flows around the truck.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Orange is even worse...
View attachment 105453
Looks like you didn't get all the green out first, that's probably the problem. Ya know, like you aren't supposed to mix coolant colors.

I e been happy with RainX products over the years. The actual RainX treatment worked well when I bothered to properly clean and apply it to the windshield. The washer fluid seems so do a good job of providing the treatment considering that no effort went into it. I've even used their treated wiper blades with good success.

I don't want to do it myself, but I need to get dad's F-150 detailed and ceramic coated some day while the paint is still good. Maybe if we can do it and maintain, it won't suffer the clear coat issues that most of our vehicles do.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like you didn't get all the green out first, that's probably the problem. Ya know, like you aren't supposed to mix coolant colors.

I e been happy with RainX products over the years. The actual RainX treatment worked well when I bothered to properly clean and apply it to the windshield. The washer fluid seems so do a good job of providing the treatment considering that no effort went into it. I've even used their treated wiper blades with good success.

I don't want to do it myself, but I need to get dad's F-150 detailed and ceramic coated some day while the paint is still good. Maybe if we can do it and maintain, it won't suffer the clear coat issues that most of our vehicles do.
I never had the money for the top-of-the-line ceramics. I'm sure they are wonderful. I went with the cheaper stuff like Turtle Wax. I know it lasts for more than a year, maybe even longer if you use the Turtle Wax detailer after a car wash. It keeps the glass clean and clear too. That's good enough for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals