• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ramblings of life long Ford man

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My only complaint with belts is that I'd consider them to be a wear item, and in my mind wear items should not be something that causes engine failure, IE interference engines. This is especially the case on cars where it's really difficult to change... PT Cruiser, I am looking at you! Hard to replace = high labor cost = people just won't do it... cars shouldn't be disposable for reasons like this.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't mind chains, especially on a pushrod engine.

Its been like 12 years but $40 for a Cloyes double roller... pretty hard to beat that.

My only complaint with belts is that I'd consider them to be a wear item, and in my mind wear items should not be something that causes engine failure, IE interference engines. This is especially the case on cars where it's really difficult to change... PT Cruiser, I am looking at you! Hard to replace = high labor cost = people just won't do it... cars shouldn't be disposable for reasons like this.
A PT... is kind of disposable. Everything is so crammed in there for the sake of exterior styling.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Never understood why those cars have such a following. My co-worker and her friend each have two of them, a driver & a spare, they love them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never understood why those cars have such a following. My co-worker and her friend each have two of them, a driver & a spare, they love them.
They are for the people that want a Neon but don't want a car that looks like a Neon...

89RanBrII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger & BrII
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Ranger: 2.9; BroncoII: 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I firmly believe the reason Ford stoped using the international 7.3 diesel was because it was totally bulletproof bad you can’t sell new trucks of the old ones keep running
I'm just glad Cummins didn't completely stop producing the 5.9

RCC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't have anything against timing chains. All my vehicles, except 240 straight six Econoline and 2.8 v6 Bronco II, had one.
Last way longer than timing belts too.

RCC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Glad you say 4.0 timing chain replacement is possible without pulling motor Shran. Chilton's manual claims oil pan has to be removed to take timing cover off.
Some engines are harder than others. But I always got cover off by simply taking several bolts out and loosening rest so pan drop slightly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad you say 4.0 timing chain replacement is possible without pulling motor Shran. Chilton's manual claims oil pan has to be removed to take timing cover off.
Some engines are harder than others. But I always got cover off by simply taking several bolts out and loosening rest so pan drop slightly.
That is how a SBF is too, if you are careful you get by without dropping the pan (my pan gasket was pretty young when I did mine though)

RCC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Going back to start of this thread. Still like gear drive timing best. Whine of gear drive in wheelie poppin' 650+hp, 9K rpm small block give me goosebumps...all ooover my body. 😛

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Well they sure took care of that issue with the 6.0... but now nobody wants them.
I wouldn't say nobody wants them. Unless you are referring to me specifically. I am a nobody and I kinda like them. You do have to fix a couple of things that IH/Ford should have done to start with though. My old one is still going (sold to a friend) and has over 300k on it. I did stud it at about 100k though. Not saying I'd trade my 6.7 for one, but if I ran across a deal on one, I'd probably buy it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I firmly believe the reason Ford stoped using the international 7.3 diesel was because it was totally bulletproof and you can’t sell new trucks if the old ones keep running….
Nope. The 7.3 went away because it couldn't pass the 2003 emissions requirements. And the first few years of 7.3's were anything but bulletproof.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Well they sure took care of that issue with the 6.0... but now nobody wants them.
The 6.0 was rushed into production before International thought it was ready because of the 2003 emissions changes. The specs kept changing so diag was about impossible for the first year. My diesel tech bought one when it was a few years old, fixed all the teething problems and drove it for years. GM and Dodge kept selling diesels that didn't meet the emissions standards for an year and paid a fine for each one, which I don't think should have been allowed.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The 6.0 was rushed into production before International thought it was ready because of the 2003 emissions changes. The specs kept changing so diag was about impossible for the first year. My diesel tech bought one when it was a few years old, fixed all the teething problems and drove it for years. GM and Dodge kept selling diesels that didn't meet the emissions standards for an year and paid a fine for each one, which I don't think should have been allowed.
Yep, all truth. As well as Ford requiring the performance be pushed past what IH/Navistar had originally designed them for.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Yep, all truth. As well as Ford requiring the performance be pushed past what IH/Navistar had originally designed them for.
No, the engine was designed because of the emissions changes and International hadn't worked the bugs out yet, Ford didn't cause the problems, they just didn't have time enough to allow International to tweak their new engine. It would have made my life easier if they'd paid the government and cheated for a year like GM and Dodge. Once we got the 6.0's straightened out they made a lot more power than a 7.3.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Thing I liked best about cologne 2.8 was gear drive timing. Pushrod 4.0 is quite durable but replacing timing chain is no easy job. Why didn't Ford make it gear drive too?
They should have since you can't replace chain without putting motor....
I replace timing gears on a bunch of Mustang II's and I had to pull the oil pan on every one of them because I couldn't bring myself to leave the broken chunks of nylon teeth in the pan. They usually shed their teeth at about 90k.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals