• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rancho stabilizer shock on 87 4x4 ranger

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I have been searching for some info on installing a rancho stabilizer shock on an 87 4x4 ranger. I have seen a few things and it looks like people are mounting the shocks the opposite way the instructions call for. Can some one help me with a little info on mounting the bracket and what problems I should be looking for? A few photos would be awesome. All my truck has is a 2" body lift (for the V8 swap) and 31" tires. No other lift outside of stock. I have noticed the sloppy front end after I put on the bigger tires so I thought I would try the stabilizer shock. Any info would be much appreciated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would look into why the frontend is sloppy rather than try to cover it up with a stabilizer.

Have you checked that none of your tierods or balljoints are worn? Are all the suspension bushings good & tight? No play in the steering column joints or the steering box itself?

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
Had everything checked out. The guy who checked it out suggested a stabilizer shock because of the bigger tires. Maybe the work sloppy was not the right word.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Something's gotta be up under there... (I run far bigger 35x12.50s on mine with no stabilizer at all and it handles fine).

What exactly is it doing? Is it tracking funny? Constantly having to correct to keep it in the lane? (play in the steering?)

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's one of the reasons I'm putting F150 springs and shocks on mine.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
More play in the steering, and when I hit bumps in the road the steering bounces around a lot more vs. when I had the stock size tires on.

ohiocowboy1277

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
have you had the alignment checked out if the toe is way off it will cause the same thing you are describing also be sure to double check the strut rod bushings and mounts . I have seen some of the mounts on the older ones rust away where the bushing sits against it and cause movement even though the bushing looks good

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll head over to another place and have it checked. I got the green light from one place saying everything looked fine and maybe I should use a stabilizer bar.

How do you know if a truck came with a factor lift? I read somewhere that you cannot use the stabilizer shock if you have a pitman arm that has a difference in length of 1 1/4". I noticed I cannot mount the bracket on the cross member under the engine without that end of the shock hitting the steering rod. Does this mean I have some sort of stock lift from the factory?:icon_confused:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Very possible on an '87 STX.

Easiest way to check is to see if there are factory RIVETED-in drop extensions on your radius arm crossmember. Having those, your truck is equipped with the Highrider suspension package.

Play in the steering is obviously something loose. If all the tierods, bushings and the ragjoint are good, then chances are it's probably in the steering gearbox itself (not real uncommon).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals